Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 07:00 PM

254 posts, read 790,178 times

Advertisements

We're getting ready to PCS to Orlando. DH will work at Orlando Int'l airport and I'm still waiting for my transfer for my work as well and hopefully will work near the airport. I have a high schooler who is active in band and is in the Honor's Program here in Northern VA. We'll be renting for awhile(maybe a yr) to see how we like it in Orlando before we buy a house so I will need a good public high school near the airport.

Pls. rate/give insights:

Timber Creek HS- is this too far a commute to and from the airport? How much would it cost us a day if we use the toll road/ 417?

Oviedo HS/Hagerty HS-new houses, small lots

Boone HS -(though I don't see a lot of SFH rentals available in that area for less than $1400, atleast 3 BD/2 BA)

Winter Park HS- I really seem to like the area;older, established houses,big lots. any disadvantages other than older houses if I decide to buy in that area after a year?

Lake Nona HS- near airport and newer houses, small lots but only rated "7" at greatschools.net. Is it because it's a new development?

Thanks so much. We'll be taking our house hunting next month and i'm hoping I can find a 3 BD/2 BA SFH (hopefully w/a pool) for less than $1400. Any insights/info is appreciated. Also, pls. include zip codes as to what other areas I should be looking at so I can get specific info. Thanks once again.

Last edited by nixau27; 06-22-2011 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 05:10 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixau27 View Post
We're getting ready to PCS to Orlando. DH will work at Orlando Int'l airport and I'm still waiting for my transfer for my work as well and hopefully will work near the airport. I have a high schooler who is active in band and is in the Honor's Program here in Northern VA. We'll be renting for awhile(maybe a yr) to see how we like it in Orlando before we buy a house so I will need a good public high school near the airport.

Pls. rate/give insights:

Timber Creek HS- is this too far a commute to and from the airport? How much would it cost us a day if we use the toll road/ 417?

Oviedo HS/Hagerty HS-new houses, small lots

Boone HS -(though I don't see a lot of SFH rentals available in that area for less than $1400, atleast 3 BD/2 BA)

Winter Park HS- I really seem to like the area;older, established houses,big lots. any disadvantages other than older houses if I decide to buy in that area after a year?

Lake Nona HS- near airport and newer houses, small lots but only rated "7" at greatschools.net. Is it because it's a new development?

Thanks so much. We'll be taking our house hunting next month and i'm hoping I can find a 3 BD/2 BA SFH (hopefully w/a pool) for less than $1400. Any insights/info is appreciated. Also, pls. include zip codes as to what other areas I should be looking at so I can get specific info. Thanks once again.
In my opinion, Oviedo HS or Hagerty HS should be your top choices. The Oviedo School District is strongest in terms of academics in the metro area (A-rated and 10s from Great Schools at all grade levels). Oviedo HS has a very strong (state finalists last year) Marching Band. I'm not sure where you got the impression that all homes in Oviedo are on small lots, as overall it's a rather low density area...though perhaps the rentals you've run across so far fit that criteria. I'd recommend contacting a realtor as rental houses are not often listed on places like Craigslist. Good luck and welcome to the area!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:03 AM

Default Good High School near Orlando Int'l Airport

Thanks Kyle19125 for the input! Oviedo and Hagerty HS are both rated high in greatschools.net. and would love to settle down there if it's not too far from the airport. I wonder though if 30 mins is a good commute time to and from the airport from these areas? Or is it more? I'm looking forward to next month when we can actually come down and look at these areas, the websites just doesn't give too much info. Thanks once again!

Last edited by nixau27; 06-23-2011 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
You should be fine with band and academics at all of those schools. Lake Nona is a new school, so more time is needed to give that school a true rating. If you want an easy commute to the airport, Boone and Lake Nona are your best bets.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks Kyle19125 for the input! Oviedo and Hagerty HS are both rated high in greatschools.net. and would love to settle down there if it's not too far from the airport. I wonder though if 30 mins is a good commute time to and from the airport from these areas? Or is it more? I'm looking forward to next month when we can actually come down and look at these areas, the websites just doesn't give too much info. Thanks once again!
I live in Sanford, which is much further north of Oviedo and it takes me 30-35 minutes to get to the airport from where I live using 417, even at rush hour. From Oviedo you're looking at around 20 minutes at any time of the day.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 AM

Thanks Boy3365! I will look at the Boone area as well and hope I find a good rental for August.
Kyle19125, how much does it cost to take the toll road? Is 417 a toll road? Thanks. I just want to know in case we consider Oviedo. Thanks!

Old 06-25-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks Boy3365! I will look at the Boone area as well and hope I find a good rental for August.
Kyle19125, how much does it cost to take the toll road? Is 417 a toll road? Thanks. I just want to know in case we consider Oviedo. Thanks!
Yes the 417 is a toll road, and it costs $5.50 roundtrip from Oviedo to Lake Nona. Using SunPass provides discounted tolls, plus shortens your travel time considerably because you don't have to slow down with either the highway express lanes (left side lanes) or ramp exit lanes.

https://www.sunpass.com/tollSavings

Old 06-25-2011, 08:00 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
The Seminole County portion of the 417 is operated by Florida's Turnpike (sunpass.com). The Orange County portion of the 417 is operated by the Orange County Expressway Authority (expresswayauthority.com). If you have a Sunpass, you will only get the discounts (usually $0.25 per toll) in Seminole County and other Florida's Turnpike roads. If you get the Orange County E-Pass, after you reach a certain amount of toll transactions, I believe you get a percentage off your total bill or something like that for the tolls on Expressway Authority roads in Orange County. (The website with the specifics on that is a dead link). Both services will allow you to use either transponder on all toll roads in Florida and airports that use a pre-paid toll system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando