Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 06:04 AM

44 posts, read 94,756 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Southern Indiana to Orlando the first week in October and we are bringing all our worldly goods

I've been wondering about the availability of some of my favorite products in Florida. I thought it might be a fun thread for the forum to see what products others are missing...

I hope I can still buy:

Kentucky Colonel seasoned flour
Williams White Chicken Chili seasoning
Aunt Millie breads

Looking forward to reading about the products you miss from "back home".

I do need some advice on Milk - I know some brands have a plastic taste - is there a store brand of milk that you avoid?

I'll do some google searches to find out if I need to bring a stockpile of my favorite products with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
I'm not technically a transplant, but my Chicago heritage has me missing Fannie Mae Chocolates all the time. They used to have a store in Lake Mary, but sadly it didn't last. They don't ship down here as their confections are too delicate to withstand the heat and hard knocks even a climate controlled package encounters.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:40 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,199,647 times
Sahlen's hot dogs, Weber's mustard, Miller's horseradish, Aunt Rosie's loganberry & Bison Brand French onion dip

Old 08-21-2011, 12:00 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Most items can easily be ordered on the web.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:24 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,199,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Most items can easily be ordered on the web.
If you're referring to my post, I'm aware of www.buffalofoods.com, but things are marked up substantially. Fortunately, the rellies bring it down when they come.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:26 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Or have a friend, relative or former neighbor ship it down for you, at your cost of course.

I like U-bet chocolate syrup. Its made in Brooklyn, NY. Publix sells it but
I can buy it for 50 percent less on line including shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
If you're referring to my post, I'm aware of www.buffalofoods.com, but things are marked up substantially. Fortunately, the rellies bring it down when they come.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:43 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,513,149 times
Although my home is Florida, after living in NYC for two years I'm really missing Trader Joe's. They had some of the BEST food and it was cheap. I really hope they build one here someday.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:33 PM

741 posts, read 3,511,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckypooh1972 View Post
We are moving from Southern Indiana to Orlando the first week in October and we are bringing all our worldly goods

I've been wondering about the availability of some of my favorite products in Florida. I thought it might be a fun thread for the forum to see what products others are missing...

I hope I can still buy:

Kentucky Colonel seasoned flour
Williams White Chicken Chili seasoning
Aunt Millie breads

Looking forward to reading about the products you miss from "back home".

I do need some advice on Milk - I know some brands have a plastic taste - is there a store brand of milk that you avoid?

I'll do some google searches to find out if I need to bring a stockpile of my favorite products with me.
The #1 thing we miss is really good chinese food from NY and NJ..

Old 08-22-2011, 05:47 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Although my home is Florida, after living in NYC for two years I'm really missing Trader Joe's. They had some of the BEST food and it was cheap. I really hope they build one here someday.
I go to the one in Atl all the time, it's like Christmas. I've heard rumors that Florida is currently not close enough to any of TJ's distribution centers and that it would represent a significant infrastructure upgrade to move into the state. I mean they are the same company as Aldi which is littered all over Central Florida, and now in South Florida. Perhaps there is another reason as Atlanta isn't really that far away, and I can't imagine a DC or 2 in Florida wouldn't do the trick.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:17 AM

295 posts, read 832,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I'm not technically a transplant, but my Chicago heritage has me missing Fannie Mae Chocolates all the time. They used to have a store in Lake Mary, but sadly it didn't last. They don't ship down here as their confections are too delicate to withstand the heat and hard knocks even a climate controlled package encounters.
I've seen Fannie Mae chocolates at Macy's, Seminole Town Center Mall in Sanford. Not sure about Macy's other stores but I'd assume they'd be at their other stores too.. And I've ordered them from the Chicago Macy's when it was cooler here (December, for Christmas gift) and had no problem with shipping.

But...I've also heard that Fannie Mae candies have changed ownership over the years so the candies today might not be the same as we remember them from Chicago. I know when I ordered the Fannie Mae French Chocolate Mints for my stepmother as a gift she said they were good but not the same as she got in Chicago. Or maybe it was her memory, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando