Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 01:55 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Agreed, I much rather prefer locally owned restaurants over chain restaurants. Although I must admit I do like Cheesecake Factory and Carrabas (I probably just lost all credibility with that last statement). But the vast majority of the time when my money spent out dining, it's at a local establishment. And I'm no snob or anti-corporate (although if given the choice I would rather support a mom and pops joint than corporate chian) I have just had better experiences going local. 4Rivers BBQ beats Chili's ribs any day. 22 Pine and Ravenous Pig have some the best Sandwiches and Burgers. And Asian food...c'mon, PF Chang and Panda Express can't hold a candle to the Mills/50 area restaurants.
I'll give you a pardon for Carrabba's as I have a weak spot for Macaroni Grill, have you tried the new menu? It's pretty good (especially with the Italian Tapas) plus they have Peroni on draft, what's not to like???

Menus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 02:02 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
True, Miami is better in terms of local establishments. I was including Disney, but really more the Disney resort restaurants. Some other hotels around town have stepped up with much improved high-end restaurants as well. Like you said though, most of that is catering to visitors.

Sand Lake/south I-drive has every high-end national chain, with Fogo de Chao on the way. A lot of people like restaurant row. I definitely prefer supporting locally-owned establishments.

As for real, local Orlando, we have a few standouts like K, Ravenous Pig, and Luma. The head chefs of those places, along with a few others, have been showing up at every major local culinary event together and starting to be known by name. Luma's chef's next restaurant Prato opens next month and I expect it to be excellent. Winter Park has a few other really good places. The Funky Monkey guys have also been doing well based on their successes. Overall I just see quality increasing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I do too and have long lamented the prevalence of chain restaurants here and the preference for them shown by most residents. It is beginning to evolve and am happy to see establishments like the Ravenous Pig, Finesse, Luma and Chef Henry's continuing to thrive.
A lot of people don't realize that restaurant row actually does have a number of locally-owned places, including Big Fin Seafood kitchen, a number of sushi/japanese places (Bento - a local FL chain with 4 locations, started in Gainesville, Dragonfly - 2 locations, also started in Gainesville, and Amura). Also, Chatham's place, Ayodathai (a locally-owned thai place), Cedars (offering lebanese food), anatolia (turkish), and a locally-owned indian place (Saffron), among others.

I like RR actually has a good blend of local places and high-end chains like Morton's, Flemings, Seasons 52 and Ruth Chris.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Agreed, I much rather prefer locally owned restaurants over chain restaurants. Although I must admit I do like Cheesecake Factory and Carrabas (I probably just lost all credibility with that last statement). But the vast majority of the time when my money spent out dining, it's at a local establishment. And I'm no snob or anti-corporate (although if given the choice I would rather support a mom and pops joint than corporate chian) I have just had better experiences going local. 4Rivers BBQ beats Chili's ribs any day. 22 Pine and Ravenous Pig have some the best Sandwiches and Burgers. And Asian food...c'mon, PF Chang and Panda Express can't hold a candle to the Mills/50 area restaurants.
Definitely. 50/mills is the best place for dim sum for sure. I have a weak spot for Carraba's though. Definitely better than the ubiquitous olive garden for casual italian IMO.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:50 AM

378 posts, read 829,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yeah I saw that. Seattle was in the top 5, which is a tech hub. Birmingham is a college town in a decent-sized city.

What a stupid list, seriously. No rhyme or reason as to why these cities were specifically selected. What about Detroit, MI? Or Stockton, CA? Or Camden, NJ? Seriously, I bet any of those cities are as bad if not worse for young people.
I think it was more statistical than that. The 21% unemployment rate for 20-24 year old adults in Orlando is higher than those other places. Doesn't matter how much entertainment is available, how much of it can they do if they're broke?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
I think it was more statistical than that. The 21% unemployment rate for 20-24 year old adults in Orlando is higher than those other places. Doesn't matter how much entertainment is available, how much of it can they do if they're broke?
Worse than Detroit, MI or parts of OH? I find it hard to believe. They don't call it the rust belt for nothing.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:44 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
That age bracket just realizes that working $8/hr jobs is bull, and HOPEFULLY you can make some tips to make the job worthwhile, otherwise it's better to just sit on your butt and get aid. Seriously, the jobs here in Orlando are a complete joke.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:12 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I would think that the $8 an hour job is great if you have no skills, no experience, nothing to offer an employer. Develop skill, get more $.

SNIP....
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
the jobs here in Orlando are a complete joke.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:15 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
So how would you yourself fix the situation ? We can complain all we want , because as I see it this is not just an Orlando problem as it is nationwide.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:29 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I would think that the $8 an hour job is great if you have no skills, no experience, nothing to offer an employer. Develop skill, get more $.

SNIP....
You're living in la la land bud, and clearly you've never WORKED in Orlando, it truly is a horrible place to work.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
You're living in la la land bud, and clearly you've never WORKED in Orlando, it truly is a horrible place to work.
you'd rather work in Detroit or California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando