Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:48 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,375 times

Advertisements

Now I was reading , and found out in the late 90's Orlando was approved to get lightrail but Orange county backed out? why? What the hell were they thinking?

Anyhow Orlando needs another rail to help this commuter rail out. I think Commuter Rail will be successful anyway it goes but, I keep saying LYNX and it's current routes WILL NOT get the job done as far spread out and vehicle jammed Central Florida is.

We need a light rail, even if it's a 7 mile first phase stretching through downtown or a 20 mile phase from downtown to Disney! I mean my gosh it takes over 2 hours to get to Disney on certain buses and 1 hour on supposed to be express buses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 06:01 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Now I was reading , and found out in the late 90's Orlando was approved to get lightrail but Orange county backed out? why? What the hell were they thinking?

Anyhow Orlando needs another rail to help this commuter rail out. I think Commuter Rail will be successful anyway it goes but, I keep saying LYNX and it's current routes WILL NOT get the job done as far spread out and vehicle jammed Central Florida is.

We need a light rail, even if it's a 7 mile first phase stretching through downtown or a 20 mile phase from downtown to Disney! I mean my gosh it takes over 2 hours to get to Disney on certain buses and 1 hour on supposed to be express buses.
Vehicle jammed? You really think traffic in Orlando is THAT bad?

There arent really too many roads that are "vehicle jammed" other than at rush hour. Even I-4 is tolerable most of the time unless there's an accident

The only road that I would consider "vehicle jammed" is International Drive between Oak Ridge Rd and Sand Lake. Granted volume gets really heavy on a lot of roads but most of the time, traffic moves at a decent speed

Old 02-08-2012, 08:40 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Orlando was a very different social/political environment in the 90's.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Vehicle jammed? You really think traffic in Orlando is THAT bad?

There arent really too many roads that are "vehicle jammed" other than at rush hour. Even I-4 is tolerable most of the time unless there's an accident

The only road that I would consider "vehicle jammed" is International Drive between Oak Ridge Rd and Sand Lake. Granted volume gets really heavy on a lot of roads but most of the time, traffic moves at a decent speed
Yeah rush hour thats what I mean. Rush Hour should be RUSH HOUR not RUSH HOURS, which for some it takes more than an hour to get home. Thats what I mean by Vehicle Jammed, taking too long on almost eveyr road.

And I live on this side. I know how bad the traffic is. To be honest it's not necessarily the traffic ALL THE TIME, but the TRAFFIC LIGHT FLOW disrupts how smooth traffic can go even if it is rush hour. I mean 45 second lights on a 6 lane high way crossing a 4 or another 6 lane high way? Geeesh lol.

Instead of complaining I do my best not to drive during RUSH HOURS though.

For instance Today I4 Eastbound was slow from Conroy Road to Maitland BLVD. That is a long time to be driving stop and go.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Orlando was a very different social/political environment in the 90's.
In what sense? It was still Rapidly growing right? I mean it would be smart to me to take the FEDS and STATE paying 80% of the costs for that infrastructure (that also would have been cheaper to build) rather than now, with all the development, and high land values.

Orlando has and still is growing , so I just think Light-RAIL needs to be studied again, but as I drive around I don't know where they would even build a legit rail route (Besides Down I4). This city has almost every block filled with something and roads dont support a light rain system.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 PM

206 posts, read 414,992 times
I heard John Morgan basically got it stopped last time around. I don't know any more to the story though. Something to do with property he owns on I-Drive?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:34 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
In what sense? It was still Rapidly growing right? I mean it would be smart to me to take the FEDS and STATE paying 80% of the costs for that infrastructure (that also would have been cheaper to build) rather than now, with all the development, and high land values.

Orlando has and still is growing , so I just think Light-RAIL needs to be studied again, but as I drive around I don't know where they would even build a legit rail route (Besides Down I4). This city has almost every block filled with something and roads dont support a light rain system.
If this deal were available today we couldn't accept it fast enough but back than Orlando was much more conservative, both socially and politically. Remember this is back when downtown was still fairly dead and mass transit was code for mobility for poor people. Today we have a much more progressive population and leadership and many more people realize mass transit benefits us all...car lovers. Just like anything else you have to reach the tipping point and I think the early/mid 2000s when I4 became unmanageable we reached the tipping point.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Steve View Post
I heard John Morgan basically got it stopped last time around. I don't know any more to the story though. Something to do with property he owns on I-Drive?
Yes he and Mr Rosen were against it. Although I don't understand why. A Rail would make International far more Interactive, thus bringing more business and economic opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
If this deal were available today we couldn't accept it fast enough but back than Orlando was much more conservative, both socially and politically. Remember this is back when downtown was still fairly dead and mass transit was code for mobility for poor people. Today we have a much more progressive population and leadership and many more people realize mass transit benefits us all...car lovers. Just like anything else you have to reach the tipping point and I think the early/mid 2000s when I4 became unmanageable we reached the tipping point.

Got you. Makes sense. Yes when I caught the Lynx for 50 cents it was really for poor people. Geesh I remember the old Bus station where that beautiful fire station sits now, it was horrible.
I drive now and catch the bus. People always say "Your an idiot". I think of it as being progressive. I've actually considered and plan on staying now because Orlando is by far ahead of Tampa (My first choice to live) and I'm amazed at the potential this city has. MY gosh has it changed in 2 or 3 years. Orlando has earned my respect by doing well even with the recession. it's one of the few cities without a population decline in a decade. So this city is doing something right.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
FloridaBorn, I see your point about the Conroy to Maitland jam. I-15 & US 95 in Las Vegas make I-4 a cake walk

Las Vegas has 3 highways compared to Orlando having 7, and the Vegas metro is similar in population

When I worked on the Vegas strip, my monday shift was always 9-5, a 19 mile 20 minute commute became highway hell. 20 mph stop and go the ENTIRE way down, and even worse going home at 5 (always an accident at the Sahara exit) THAT is vehicle jammed

Rush hour in Vegas lasts 6AM-9 & evening rush was 2:30-6:30

And give the 101 or the 405 in LA a try, if you REALLY want jammed. A simple trip from the San Fernando Valley to Santa Monica or Venice can EASILY take an hr and thats NOT at rush hour. Every time I visit I use Ventura Blvd as my alternate to 101

After visiting Los Angeles a couple times and dealing with THAT traffic, I decided I would never complain about I-4 ever again

What worries me though is I read that 75% of major US cities (Orlando included) will have LA like traffic by 2025

I'd like for that not to happen

Last edited by DavieJ89; 02-09-2012 at 08:48 AM..

Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
FloridaBorn, I see your point about the Conroy to Maitland jam. I-15 & US 95 in Las Vegas make I-4 a cake walk

Las Vegas has 3 highways compared to Orlando having 7, and the Vegas metro is similar in population

When I worked on the Vegas strip, my monday shift was always 9-5, a 19 mile 20 minute commute became highway hell. 20 mph stop and go the ENTIRE way down, and even worse going home at 5 (always an accident at the Sahara exit) THAT is vehicle jammed

Rush hour in Vegas lasts 6AM-9 & evening rush was 2:30-6:30

And give the 101 or the 405 in LA a try, if you REALLY want jammed. A simple trip from the San Fernando Valley to Santa Monica or Venice can EASILY take an hr and thats NOT at rush hour. Every time I visit I use Ventura Blvd as my alternate to 101

After visiting Los Angeles a couple times and dealing with THAT traffic, I decided I would never complain about I-4 ever again

What worries me though is I read that 75% of major US cities (Orlando included) will have LA like traffic by 2025

I'd like for that not to happen
I always here people say Orlando's Traffic is not that bad, so I think this gives Orlando and the Metro a chance to fix that now. These damn TollWAYS WILL Not do it though and they keep building them. They keep building 4 lane toll ways instead of an 8 or ten lane toll way to prepare for the future. I've never understood the under building of roads. You can never have a wide or long enough road. SMH So yes Unless Orlando does pull a duck out of it's ass traffic will be horrible BEFORE THEN!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando