Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 11,014 times

Advertisements

I've done a couple searches here but, have had some trouble coming up with some more exact answers.
There is a chance my husband and myself will be transferred to Florida this year. One of us would be working in Winter Park and the other in Altamonte Springs. Based on searches, Winter Park seems to be one of the nicer, safer areas to live. But, I do keep hearing about sketchy areas in there as well.
My question is, exactly which neighborhoods there would be safest? We'll be able to afford $1200/month rent.
Thank you for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 02:21 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
For $1200/month you'd probably get a better home in Altamonte. In Altamonte, west of I-4 and north of 436 is considered the most desirable area and should be within your price range. In Winter Park, olde Winter Park is most desirable but it is very expensive. You may also want to consider Maitland which is right in between Altamonte and Winter Park.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:32 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I agree with Crane's ^^^ and think given work in both locales that Maitland especially would be a good fit as it's around the halfway point. Maitland's location/proximity also gives you the advantage of NOT having to rely on I-4 for your primary source of commuting. Check out the Village at Lake Lily in the heart of Maitland which is close to the nice areas of Winter Park (downtown) and in a convenient location on US17-92 for commuting to Altamonte. It's in a walkable area close to shops, restaurants, coffee shops, parks and a weekly farmers market. Village at Lake Lily - Apartments in Maitland (http://www.villageatlakelily.com/home.asp - broken link)

Old 01-08-2012, 07:46 PM

Thank you for the responses! I assume Maitland is a safer area as well then? I will look into there as well.
The Lake Lily apartments look beautiful! Just a little outside our price range as we would need 2 bedrooms. But I definitely enjoyed fawning over them.

I did look into Altamonte Springs a little and found this with pretty good reviews. Altamira Place. Any thoughts on this area?

Old 01-08-2012, 08:09 PM

Altamira Place is in a very traffic-congested area next to the Altamonte Mall. The apartments look nice but I wouldn't want to live there and commute to/from Winter Park. You might look at The Q in Maitland. I know, the name is atrocious but it's in the same area as the Lake Lily apartments at a lower price. They have a 1 bedroom/den for $1210 a month and a 2/1 for $1225. Apartment communities sometimes run specials which can knock off $50-$100 a month or so over the course of the lease so would urge you to check it out. That really is a great neighborhood. The Q at Maitland

Old 01-08-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You might look at The Q in Maitland. I know, the name is atrocious but it's in the same area as the Lake Lily apartments at a lower price. They have a 1 bedroom/den for $1210 a month and a 2/1 for $1225. Apartment communities sometimes run specials which can knock off $50-$100 a month or so over the course of the lease so would urge you to check it out. That really is a great neighborhood. The Q at Maitland
This is what I'm looking for! Thank you! Anything else like this, for more options sake?

Old 01-08-2012, 08:55 PM

I don't think the apartments are as nice as The Q but you might also look at The Harbor at Lake Howell. It's pretty much equidistant to Altamonte and Winter Park in a decent, established area of Casselberry.
The Harbor at Lake Howell Casselberry Apartments - Apartments in Casselberry, FL

Old 01-19-2012, 06:48 PM

10 posts, read 33,149 times
Default appreciate some candor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Altamira Place is in a very traffic-congested area next to the Altamonte Mall. The apartments look nice but I wouldn't want to live there and commute to/from Winter Park. You might look at The Q in Maitland. I know, the name is atrocious but it's in the same area as the Lake Lily apartments at a lower price. They have a 1 bedroom/den for $1210 a month and a 2/1 for $1225. Apartment communities sometimes run specials which can knock off $50-$100 a month or so over the course of the lease so would urge you to check it out. That really is a great neighborhood. The Q at Maitland

A middle-aged couple, total foodies trying to decide between a "happening" place and somewhere comfortable, like Stuart, Fl. PLEAASAE advise ! TY Much

Old 01-20-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin D View Post
A middle-aged couple, total foodies trying to decide between a "happening" place and somewhere comfortable, like Stuart, Fl. PLEAASAE advise ! TY Much
Unfortunately something like that does not exist in Orlando/Central Florida. As a "foodie" myself I find this to be desert-like in terms of "foodie" offerings. Whole Foods Market is here in the form of two stores (Winter Park and Sand Lake Road/SW Orlando) but are watered down tiny versions of the prototype found elsewhere. The produce sections are filled with out-of-state and imported produce, though while organic in many instances not the quality you might expect. The farmers markets are with the exception of one I know of in Orlando (Audubon Park) sketchy, in that fake farmers show up with produce they pick up from the wholesale distribution center for resale. There is a small food coop in town (Homegrown) that's trying but has in my opinion little variety to offer. I don't know of but one or two restaurants that have figured out the national trend of buying locally produced/raised ingredients for menu items. All that said if you're looking for the most "foodie" place here it would be Winter Park. If you want someplace quieter nearby you might look into Oviedo as it tends to be low density housing. Are you buying or renting?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:11 AM

10 posts, read 33,149 times
Thanks for the valuable imput Kyle..we will be renting (a small house with a big yard for two big dogs) until selling our house in Charleston. Would love to stay in Charleston if it were only warmer.....

Knowing the differences in real whole foods and the "fake farmers" is valuable information ! I would love to be near the beach but there dosn't seem to be anything appealing there !

Any further advice would be appreciated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando