Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:53 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablovr View Post
Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me! I currently live in Hilton Head, SC, and want to pursue my dream of moving to a true beach town in Florida. I am a very positive person who loves the beach, my dog, community involvement (volunteering, 12 step program, coffee shops, live music, etc) and being happy. Is this a good place for me to move - in terms of meeting people my age and living an active beach life? (I am also on the lookout for finding my hubby...) I have a master's degree in education and am open to doing any sort of work...Thanks!
Have you considered the west coast? Clearwater or Sarasota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 AM

45 posts, read 107,317 times
I am open to anything...should I check out Clearwater/Sarasota?

Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I am open to anything...should I check out Clearwater/Sarasota?
I think both of them may offer what you are looking for.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:18 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I thought about those as well.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Clearly you haven't been to Hollywood given your comments and off-base remarks. I grew up there and know it well. It's actually been through a renaissance over the past 10-15 years at both the beach and downtown/Young Circle. Speaking of "IQs of 30", New Smyrna Beach isn't exactly a Mensa hotspot. The few single male thirty-somethings in NSB tend to drive pick-up trucks and repair things for a living. Single thirty-something males in Hollywood tend to work in offices and bath frequently. Hollywood's median age is 39 years old, with a third of the population in the OP's 25-44 age group and 35% of the population being single. New Smyrna Beach's median age is 54 years old (that would be more like retirement central don't ya think?) with just 19% of the OP's age group (25-44) living there and 60% of the population over age 45.

Hollywood, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
New Smyrna Beach, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've been wanting to visit Hollywood therefore I can't speak about it. I've done some research in the past and it seems they've got a lot going on. I saw they have live bands on the beach every evening. The only downfall is that it is very expensive to visit and live there. Someday...

Old 03-08-2012, 09:32 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,516 times
Sarasota. Definitely. And I will always favor the East coast. But if I had to choose a "beach" town to live in, Sarasota would absolutely win. Check it out.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:26 PM

27,222 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me! I currently live in Hilton Head, SC, and want to pursue my dream of moving to a true beach town in Florida. I am a very positive person who loves the beach, my dog, community involvement (volunteering, 12 step program, coffee shops, live music, etc) and being happy. Is this a good place for me to move - in terms of meeting people my age and living an active beach life? (I am also on the lookout for finding my hubby...) I have a master's degree in education and am open to doing any sort of work...Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative35 View Post
Sarasota. Definitely. And I will always favor the East coast. But if I had to choose a "beach" town to live in, Sarasota would absolutely win. Check it out.
Neither Sarasota or Clearwater are what one would consider "true beach towns" given their size and diversity, based on the OP's original criteria or the fact that Sarasota largely sits on a bay, not the Gulf of Mexico. Clearwater is inland and has some bay access as well, but is also not beachfront. I was always under the impression a beach town sat on the beach...

Old 03-09-2012, 01:43 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,055,460 times
Quote:
Neither Sarasota or Clearwater are what one would consider "true beach towns" given their size and diversity, based on the OP's original criteria or the fact that Sarasota largely sits on a bay, not the Gulf of Mexico. Clearwater is inland and has some bay access as well, but is also not beachfront. I was always under the impression a beach town sat on the beach...
Exactly...I never thought of Sarasota as a "beach town" either.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I guess it's more waterfront than true beach town, with close proximity to a beach. I was thinking about the other factors.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:52 PM

542 posts, read 702,736 times
Dear poster, I responded to your other post recommending Fernandina Beach. Based on the conversation on this thread perhaps you need to narrow your criteria down a bit or explain more indepth what you want. Many many towns in Florida can be called "beach towns" all of them will have "12 step programs" They most certainly will have men looking for dates. There are probably more dogs in the state then people. etc. Your criteria could fit anything from Miami to Sanibel. What size town do you want? I think clearwater and the sarasota are worth a look but if that is the case then you can add a lot of other places. I spent a lot of time looking at towns in the state. We all like something different. Clearwater was on my list. I eventually decided against it as I could not stand the traffic. You'll need to define your likes and dislikes a bit more, size of the community? What will you not tolerate? What must you have at the top of the list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando