Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:14 AM

44 posts, read 94,756 times

Advertisements

Great report! My family of 4 have been in central Fla 7 months so we haven't gone through our first summer here yet! I know from vacations here the heat can be unbearable.

The drivers here are pretty wild. I can only attribute this to there being so many transplants and also frustration from us locals who get behind tourists who don't know where they are going. The road system is kind of weird here compared to IN where we came from. Many times, to turn into the parking lot of a business you have to drive past it, make and u-turn and drive back to it. Annoying! I suppose not have a lot of turning lanes keep traffic moving and is cheaper... accounts for low taxes, maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 03:59 PM

14 posts, read 32,193 times
Good report, we have been here the same amount of time also.
We came over from Australia.

You have a lot of the same negatives and positives as us, we love living here so far, even with the negatives that we have encountered.

Quick note: skip Clearwater Aquarium (Dolphin Tale), it is expensive to get in and not much to see there.
Bypass that and head to Sarasota, it has the number 1 rated beach in the USA, and also a much better (and cheaper) aquarium, also Yoder's Amish Restaurant in Sarasota is great (especially the banana cream pie!!)
We have stayed down there 4 times already.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:34 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,206,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC Fam View Post
So far no alligators in the pond but I promise I would never feed them!!! As a native Midwestern family, I am sure we would all be terrified even if it was 12 inches long LOL!!

Yes the break ins were in the Tuskawilla area but only unlocked cars. It was two teens who were taking change from the cars (didn't keep any of the valuables ie: GPS, IPods, etc.). They were arrested and charged and the Police Dept. has done a great job keeping us informed of proceedings with the two. Break ins are rare here but it does happen occasionally according to my neighbors. I still feel safe here but common sense always rules : )
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckypooh1972 View Post
Great report! My family of 4 have been in central Fla 7 months so we haven't gone through our first summer here yet! I know from vacations here the heat can be unbearable.

The drivers here are pretty wild. I can only attribute this to there being so many transplants and also frustration from us locals who get behind tourists who don't know where they are going. The road system is kind of weird here compared to IN where we came from. Many times, to turn into the parking lot of a business you have to drive past it, make and u-turn and drive back to it. Annoying! I suppose not have a lot of turning lanes keep traffic moving and is cheaper... accounts for low taxes, maybe?

You've never been through a Central Florida Summer? Uhhhh your in for a fun time. summer in Orlando is Magical. It's simply amazing how the weather can change in the blink of an eye.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:54 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
Typical CFL summer

7 a.m. mid-high 70's, extremely muggy mornings. Expect to start sweating as soon as you walk out the door.
9 a.m. 80's, humidity is pretty bad
11 a.m. getting close to the 90's
12-3pm 90's with oppressive heat
3-5 pm afternoon thunderstorms roll in like clockwork. Skies turn black, rain pours down a monsoon, and thunder rattles everything like it's the end of the world. But it does cool off things significantly.
5-8 p.m. low-mid 80's thanks to afternoon thunderstorm cool down
8-midnight temp fall slowly into the high 70's, humidity decreases also
midnight - 7 am temps fall some more slightly, humidity decreases until sunrise at which time it starts to get really sticky really fast.

There are always variations but as someone who's lived through a many FL summers, this is what you can typically expect.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Typical CFL summer

7 a.m. mid-high 70's, extremely muggy mornings. Expect to start sweating as soon as you walk out the door.
3-5 pm afternoon thunderstorms roll in like clockwork. Skies turn black, rain pours down a monsoon, and thunder rattles everything like it's the end of the world. But it does cool off things significantly.
midnight - 7 am temps fall some more slightly, humidity decreases until sunrise at which time it starts to get really sticky really fast.

There are always variations but as someone who's lived through a many FL summers, this is what you can typically expect.
Ah I was getting ready to do this when I got back on.

7 AM. Humid 76 Degrees +
9AM - 12 PM. Humid, Clouds Begin to Develop, You Can Look To The West And East and Begin to See Sea Breezes Forming Sometimes! Temps anywhere from 80's to 90.
12PM to 8PM - This is the period of OPEN AIR. what I mean by that is if your inland (Not on the coast or near a beach), typically a gulf coasts ea breeze and atlantic ocean sea breeze collide over the Interstate 4 corridor all along central Orange county, Seminole county and Osceola county. You may get a storm at 2 Pm cool down, heat back up, and get another (usually stronger, more severe) thunderstorm by 4 5 or 6 Pm. Usually if it has not rained by 5 Pm your either going to get NAILED with a night storm around 7 or 8 (9PM is pushing it for thunderstorms although not completely out of the question), or you have been missed because the storms and energy have rained themselves out. Temperatures vary upon location. If it has not rained, between 12 Pm and 5 Pm your still in the 90's soemtime or upper 80's. After 5 and 6 Pm temperature falls but minimally.
9PM to 12 AM - Maybe a lingering thunderstorm, ususally cooler clear. If it has rained Temeprautres can be in the 70's or low 80's depending on the time. If it has not rained , ususally low to mid 80's. heat index can still be in the low 90's if it has not rained.
12AM to 7AM. Cooler, dryer, maybe a lightning storm off in the distance, makes for great sleep from a tower in the sky. Temperatures do not fall below 75. RARELY. It has to be an unusual weather pattern.

And Repeat this process from about MID MAY Until Mid OCTOBER

Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,581,988 times
Im looking forward to summer. There is no time like summer time in FL in my opinion

I remember back in 2009 there was a thunderstorm I ran into on I-4 right by the Conroy exit that was so bad the traffic on I-4 came to a stop because nobody could see anything. My wipers were on their fastest speed and could not keep up with the rain

Out in Las Vegas they have the "monsoon" season in which their weather becomes Florida like in July and August. And most of July last year, temps were in the mid 90s with daily thunderstorms and humidity levels comparable to Florida. I thought it was great. But out there, temps in the 90s are a relief from the typical 105-110 that I saw most of August last year, and when the temps go that high, humidity is around 1% literally!

We havent had much humidity since I have been back here but I have noticed the increased moisture in the air because the air here feels heavier compared to out west. But the humidity does have its benefits

Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Typical CFL summer

You are right on target

Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,523 times
Summer wouldn't be as bad if we could get back to our usual thunderstorm schedule. We've been back almost 2 years and it seems like I could count on one hand the number of real FL thunderstorms during that time! 90+ degrees all day with full sun + dry as a desert = bad.

We're in a pretty bad drought and it seems to never rain anymore. Sure, we get a few sprinkles here and there, but this is not normal at all. We need our daily break from the heat and sun. However, with the lack of storms, you can enjoy being outside all day without having to seek shelter by 2PM on a weekend when you're at the pool or out on the boat.

However, my skin just can't take this sun these days. All I get are freckles. My son is turning brown from his time outside at school for PE and recess.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Im looking forward to summer. There is no time like summer time in FL in my opinion

I remember back in 2009 there was a thunderstorm I ran into on I-4 right by the Conroy exit that was so bad the traffic on I-4 came to a stop because nobody could see anything. My wipers were on their fastest speed and could not keep up with the rain

Out in Las Vegas they have the "monsoon" season in which their weather becomes Florida like in July and August. And most of July last year, temps were in the mid 90s with daily thunderstorms and humidity levels comparable to Florida. I thought it was great. But out there, temps in the 90s are a relief from the typical 105-110 that I saw most of August last year, and when the temps go that high, humidity is around 1% literally!

We havent had much humidity since I have been back here but I have noticed the increased moisture in the air because the air here feels heavier compared to out west. But the humidity does have its benefits

I dont know what it is, but summers and our summer storms are just awesome. I Love how they move in and YOU KNOW they are coming. The rude intrusion our thunderstorms make on our day has me living for summer. I LOVE our extended summers. Summer in Florida is the best time! It's so hot everyday that it's not even hot.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,199,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
I dont know what it is, but summers and our summer storms are just awesome. I Love how they move in and YOU KNOW they are coming. The rude intrusion our thunderstorms make on our day has me living for summer. I LOVE our extended summers. Summer in Florida is the best time! It's so hot everyday that it's not even hot.
Someone got into the Four Loco last night ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando