Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM

570 posts, read 1,154,808 times

Advertisements

I was behind this old lady about 55-60yrs old going westbound on I-4 near downtown. No shame in the left lane going below speed limit, while the semis took the other lanes. I was not tailgating her but let her know that myself and the 20 cars behind me were not happy with her selfishness. I was 1.5 car lengths behind her. All of a sudden, she slams on her brakes, almost causing a 20 car pileup behind me. When there was enough room in the middle lane 20 cars passed her in disgust, at least one gave her the bird.

1). Should I have made a citizen's arrest on this woman for attempting to harm my life and endangering others?

2). When will FL highway patrol step up their efforts to ticket slow drivers on I-4 who cause majority of the accidents?

Vent your frustration here. If you're a slow driver in the left lanes, explain what you're thinking when you endanger other people's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,346,530 times
Getting my popcorn ready....

Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,039,374 times
One of they things they teach in drivers education classes (the manditory kind for, say, going 78 in a 60...) is about passive agressive drivers.

They lady may have wanted to upset all of you. She might have been trolling, yeah.

Don't feed the trolls.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times
[quote=g0gat0rs;24107357

2). When will FL highway patrol step up their efforts to ticket slow drivers on I-4 who cause majority of the accidents?

[/QUOTE]

You seem confused by the concept of a posted speed limit and the implication that "slow drivers" cause accidents. I can pretty much guarantee most accidents are caused by people swerving in/out of lanes driving 15 to 20 mile per hour over the posted speed limit. It's called aggressive driving and it's become an epidemic. FHP needs to step up like they have in other states to combat it instead of rewarding the behavior.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,346,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You seem confused by the concept of a posted speed limit and the implication that "slow drivers" cause accidents. I can pretty much guarantee most accidents are caused by people swerving in/out of lanes driving 15 to 20 mile per hour over the posted speed limit. It's called aggressive driving and it's become an epidemic. FHP needs to step up like they have in other states to combat it instead of rewarding the behavior.
15-20 MPH over the speed limit on I-4 adjacent to downtown is the typical flow of traffic through that area. Unless it is during rush hour, it's very typical see cars flow at around 65-70 MPH through that stretch of I-4. Do you want to FHP to pull over 90% of traffic on that road?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
15-20 MPH over the speed limit on I-4 adjacent to downtown is the typical flow of traffic through that area. Unless it is during rush hour, it's very typical see cars flow at around 65-70 MPH through that stretch of I-4. Do you want to FHP to pull over 90% of traffic on that road?
I agree with that section of I-4 having a speed limit set too low, I've commented on that before. 50mph??? However where posted at 65mph or 70 mph to have people driving at 15-20mph over the speed limit is where it gets dangerous quickly. I see it all the time driving to/from the Tampa Bay area. Someone moving at 85mph (or higher) through traffic that's averaging 75mph is bound to get into or cause an accident as it's all about response time and most drivers are too distracted to react in time. The OP never mentioned what he described as "slow". Does he realize the speed limit is in fact 50mph? Doe he expect someone to get into to trouble for actually obeying the speed limit?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,209,533 times
Seriously???? Just slow down. Or move over

Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
Is it 3 or 4 lanes through that area of I-4?. whatever it is i wouldnt have stressed myself about the situation i'd have just moved to another lane and passed her.
A one lane each way can be an inconvenience if a slow vehicle is holding up a mile of traffic but i still dont get stressed i usually pull off at a convenience store and take 15 minutes for a snack and coffee..

Old 05-01-2012, 05:25 PM

334 posts, read 1,152,698 times
Not only is someone driving slowly in the left lane creating a traffic hazard, they're breaking Florida's keep right law. Just because someone is driving the speed limit doesn't mean they aren't breaking other laws or driving in an unsafe manner. "But the other cars were speeding" isn't a defense to the law that says cars moving slower than traffic must keep right.

See Florida Code Section 316.081(2).

Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 PM

3,979 posts, read 8,186,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
Not only is someone driving slowly in the left lane creating a traffic hazard, they're breaking Florida's keep right law. Just because someone is driving the speed limit doesn't mean they aren't breaking other laws or driving in an unsafe manner. "But the other cars were speeding" isn't a defense to the law that says cars moving slower than traffic must keep right.

See Florida Code Section 316.081(2).
Now, I see it differently........ No one is supposed to be going over the speed limit so if they are driving right at posted speed limit, they are following the law and they do have a defense. Reason I say that....I got a speeding ticket for passing a car on a 2 way road that the cop( that I had not seen) clocked the car I passed. Since I was passing a car driving speed limit I was speeding. Been there, done that, paid the ticket.

And to OP........watch who you call old lady! 60 IS NOT OLD! Some day you will realize this.....took me till 60 to find that out.....but guarantee you that I am not OLD! I am still!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando