Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:38 AM

5 posts, read 7,583 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm new to the forum as of right now, but i was wondering if i could get some MAJOR advice from everyone. My girlfriend and I are moving to Orlando around the end of May, and we know absolutely nothing about the city itself. We are both looking to get jobs at Disney/ Universal, it's our shared dream to be able to be a part of these worlds and would like to get an apartment somewhere within reasonable driving and public transportation distance (i have a car, and she's looking forward to getting her license in FL). I've read through what seems like A MILLION threads on here, all giving very mixed responses to what I was looking for, but we're both pretty optimistic people and we really want to make it work! Almost every apartment I've looked at on Craigslist has a terrible review online though, and I don't know the city well enough to know where to look... I just want to know:

1) Where is a good, safe, affordable place to live in Orlando?
-We have enough money to sustain ourselves for a while, but probably want to average at about $800 a month for rent

2) Is this a feasible time at all to look for jobs at a theme park in Orlando?
- We've both visited the Universal and Disney careers websites already, but i wasn't sure if i should wait until we had an orlando address to apply, I've read on this forum that that might be the best thing to do.

If you could offer us any advice, we would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 04:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,211,571 times
The parks are hiring but only for seasonal and p/t and the pay ranges from under $8 to about $8.50/hour unless you've got the skill set and experience for management/professional/skilled trades/administrative roles.

What will you do at the end of the season when you get laid off?

They will not interview you for hourly roles unless you live locally.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:10 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,222,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boundgooffee View Post
Hi
I'm new to the forum as of right now, but i was wondering if i could get some MAJOR advice from everyone. My girlfriend and I are moving to Orlando around the end of May, and we know absolutely nothing about the city itself. We are both looking to get jobs at Disney/ Universal, it's our shared dream to be able to be a part of these worlds and would like to get an apartment somewhere within reasonable driving and public transportation distance (i have a car, and she's looking forward to getting her license in FL). I've read through what seems like A MILLION threads on here, all giving very mixed responses to what I was looking for, but we're both pretty optimistic people and we really want to make it work! Almost every apartment I've looked at on Craigslist has a terrible review online though, and I don't know the city well enough to know where to look... I just want to know:

1) Where is a good, safe, affordable place to live in Orlando?
-We have enough money to sustain ourselves for a while, but probably want to average at about $800 a month for rent

2) Is this a feasible time at all to look for jobs at a theme park in Orlando?
- We've both visited the Universal and Disney careers websites already, but i wasn't sure if i should wait until we had an orlando address to apply, I've read on this forum that that might be the best thing to do.

If you could offer us any advice, we would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much everyone!

Job Outlook theme park wise is fantastic. IF you take overnight roles or security or janitor your hourly wadge will be in the double digits. Lifeguarding too at the water parks. But a non administrative/management/supervisor/lead role will get you between 7.75 and 9.50 and hr at the theme parks/ (Sea World, Universal, and Disney)

But that being said it's summer, APPLY NOW
Sea World : SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment Career Opportunities - Openings in Orlando, FL

Wet N Wild: Wet 'n Wild Orlando - Employment

Universal Orlando: https://wfa.kronostm.com/index.jsp?s...lOpenJobs=true.

Indeed.Com and type in "Disney World Orlando Jobs", "Orlando Theme Park Jobs" and set your location to Orlando, Florida and wala, thousands of jobs pop up.

Rent wise. 800 a month? You can find places cheaper.
but the areas are not the most desirable, however don't let that scare you off. If your not into drugs or doing something stupid such as flashing your jewelry or new flat screen, you will be fine.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The parks are hiring but only for seasonal and p/t and the pay ranges from under $8 to about $8.50/hour unless you've got the skill set and experience for management/professional/skilled trades/administrative roles.

What will you do at the end of the season when you get laid off?

They will not interview you for hourly roles unless you live locally.
Hi, thanks so much for your reply! We were hoping on finding permanent part time positions at one or both of the parks, or anything else we could find. I have a few years worth of experience as a walkaround character performer as well and we're both highly skilled at the adobe creative suite, so I'm hoping we can both find some fun/creative jobs in Orlando. We both also work for commissions on creative projects as we get them, so there's not as much financial pressure (not that I'm taking it lightly)...

Old 05-13-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Job Outlook theme park wise is fantastic. IF you take overnight roles or security or janitor your hourly wadge will be in the double digits. Lifeguarding too at the water parks. But a non administrative/management/supervisor/lead role will get you between 7.75 and 9.50 and hr at the theme parks/ (Sea World, Universal, and Disney)

But that being said it's summer, APPLY NOW
Sea World : SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment Career Opportunities - Openings in Orlando, FL

Wet N Wild: Wet 'n Wild Orlando - Employment

Universal Orlando: https://wfa.kronostm.com/index.jsp?s...lOpenJobs=true.

Indeed.Com and type in "Disney World Orlando Jobs", "Orlando Theme Park Jobs" and set your location to Orlando, Florida and wala, thousands of jobs pop up.

Rent wise. 800 a month? You can find places cheaper.
but the areas are not the most desirable, however don't let that scare you off. If your not into drugs or doing something stupid such as flashing your jewelry or new flat screen, you will be fine.
Thank you so much for your help and encouragement! This is really good to hear. Yeah, we both met and lived in New York for a while, where the rent is RIDICULOUS and weren't sure what to expect, rent-wise in Orlando. From what I've read online, Dr. Phillips seems like a nice neighborhood, but determining what is safe/convenient has been almost impossible to do from my computer and i read so much conflicting information. Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:07 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,534,888 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your help and encouragement! This is really good to hear. Yeah, we both met and lived in New York for a while, where the rent is RIDICULOUS and weren't sure what to expect, rent-wise in Orlando. From what I've read online, Dr. Phillips seems like a nice neighborhood, but determining what is safe/convenient has been almost impossible to do from my computer and i read so much conflicting information. Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
Dr. Phillips is a great area right between the theme parks, but it might be difficult to find something in your price range as it is mostly single-family homes and townhomes rather than apartments.

I would look at the apartments near Apopka-Vineland Rd. and 535, back behind Disney. I don't know much about them although that area is pretty safe since it backs up into an area called Windermere.

I read that Universal is hiring 1,000 new people for the summer. I'm sure there's part-time positions available although be prepared as it will most likely be in attractions, quick service foods, merchandise, etc. I've also heard Disney has been hiring a lot recently. I'm also pretty sure that both require you to do an in-person interview if your online application is accepted.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:27 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,211,571 times
Quote:
Hi, thanks so much for your reply! We were hoping on finding permanent part time positions at one or both of the parks, or anything else we could find. I have a few years worth of experience as a walkaround character performer as well and we're both highly skilled at the adobe creative suite, so I'm hoping we can both find some fun/creative jobs in Orlando. We both also work for commissions on creative projects as we get them, so there's not as much financial pressure (not that I'm taking it lightly)...
This area is over saturated with people with strong backgrounds in the creative field. I've got a friend who has a long established graphics business who spends more time marketing himself to bring in business than actually doing design work. He used to get tons of referral work, but these days it's just not there. It's not that his clients aren't satisfied, just that people aren't spending the money and there is a huge pool of people with graphic/design/creative skills.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:46 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,048,901 times
You are in for quite an adventure and will be talking about this upcoming year for the rest of your life.

Short of that, try reading the other threads where people are moving down without a job. It's not impossible, but it's more difficult than normal moving, which is lame anyhow.

Visit first. Rent first. Enjoy the ramen noodles as you get settled in.

Edited to add: We get warnings here if we badmouth any actual website, but when dealing with sites about Apartment Ratings, nearly every review there is negative. Look up some of the places you've lived to see that.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:01 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,392,642 times
Quote:
Dr Phillips is nice but is definitely out of your price range. Mostly condos, townhouses and single-family homes starting around $1200 and up. Another option is williamsburg area near I-drive/seaworld. It seems nice enough when I've driven through it and others have vouched for it as well. It mostly seems like old homes, but maybe there are apts there too.

http://www.williamsburgfla.com/

Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,222,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Dr Phillips is nice but is definitely out of your price range. Mostly condos, townhouses and single-family homes starting around $1200 and up. Another option is williamsburg area near I-drive/seaworld. It seems nice enough when I've driven through it and others have vouched for it as well. It mostly seems like old homes, but maybe there are apts there too.

WilliamsburgFla

No apartments in Williamsburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: