Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:50 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that Orlando metro gets about 50 million tourists per year. The resident population is about 2.2 million. So let's assume that the average tourist stays in the area for one week. This means, at any given week, there are 962,000 tourists in the metro area, which means that there are a total of about 3.2 million residents + tourists combined in the area during any given week. And that means that at any given moment, about 30% of the population in the Orlando metro area are tourists! How accurate is my assumption? If that's the truth, I gotta admit, that's a big turn off if I'm deciding to maybe move down there. Granted, I'm sure most of them are concentrated in the Disney area.

So tell me, how annoying or intrusive is the tourist population in the metro? Do they really add that much congestion to the city and its surrounding suburbs, aside from the Lake Buena Vista Disney area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
They are part of the congestion in South Orlando and parts of Osceola county near LBV. But outside of all of that, plenty of Orlando's core population is situated in and around downtown and in seminole county (the northern suburbs of lake mary/altamonte springs). Those aren't tourists at all. They're locals who live and work in the area.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
I don't know if I'm just used to it or what, but I hardly notice tourists outside of the theme parks, I-Drive, and my local Wal-Mart (so. many. Brazilians.). I would venture to guess most tourists never make it north of I-Drive unless they're traveling via I-4, and are concentrated mostly in Lake Buena Vista, I-drive area, Kissimmee, and Davenport. I live in Dr. Phillips, which is close to all of that bustle, and it doesn't bother me at all.

Having so many tourists just gives Orlando (especially the SW side) that many more entertainment, shopping, and dining options. You just learn to make fun of the tourists

Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times
If you don't want to deal with the tourists look at Seminole county,I don't see any reason for tourists to be up there.The places you'll get tourists are the general Disney area,Lake Buena Vista,192 in Kissimmee west of 535 to US 27,Celebration,International Drive and the Universal area,Vineland ave with the outlets,you might also get some passing by Dr.Phillips as they drive between Disney and Universal on 535 and Sand lake rd.The Restaurant Row area in Sand Lake rd will attract some being close to I-Drive and you'll get some venturing to the Mall of Millenia area and the Florida mall area.In my opinion there are times when the combination of tourists and the local population does create pretty bad traffic,for example I was on 535 by I-4 on a Friday night in October and with all the events like the Food and Wine festival,the Halloween events at Universal and Disney the traffic was insane,most of the time however it's not that bad and I find the regular local rush hour traffic jams to be worse closer to downtown on I-4.The one thing about the tourist areas in my opinion are that there are ground streets that will get you around the worst of the traffic,for example if I-4 is backed up take Palm parkway to Turkey lake,if International Drive is backed up grab Universal blvd.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:57 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
It really a non factor north of I drive. Unless you live or work in the tourist corridor you will have little to no interaction with tourists. That being said the huge visitpr population creates benefits for us locals like food, entertainment and amenities. I for one welcome our visitors but luckily I get to do so at my own option.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I read somewhere that Orlando metro gets about 50 million tourists per year. The resident population is about 2.2 million. So let's assume that the average tourist stays in the area for one week. This means, at any given week, there are 962,000 tourists in the metro area, which means that there are a total of about 3.2 million residents + tourists combined in the area during any given week. And that means that at any given moment, about 30% of the population in the Orlando metro area are tourists! How accurate is my assumption? If that's the truth, I gotta admit, that's a big turn off if I'm deciding to maybe move down there. Granted, I'm sure most of them are concentrated in the Disney area.

So tell me, how annoying or intrusive is the tourist population in the metro? Do they really add that much congestion to the city and its surrounding suburbs, aside from the Lake Buena Vista Disney area?

Well lets brake this down for you shall we ?

Orlando
Orlando itself is about 110 sq miles in Orange County which is about 1100 sq miles which includes most of Disney World which is 41 sq miles by itself in Southwest Orange County.

Orlando, The City of, is not "touristy" at all. Sure a portion of International Drive and Universal Orlando are in Orlando city limits, but even then it's such a small footprint on the entire city. Tourist of Orlando rarely venture outside of the southwest of the city and metro.

I live in the tourist corridor and I love it. It brings a flavor that currently is not represented across the entire metro. Most people that live here don't like the tourist for one main reason I find; They can not drive. That is the only annoying thing about them. Another thing is people feel tourist don't bring to the table a strong economy. While thats true, they sure as hell bring an array of stores and shops and restaurants people open up to cater to the international and local crowds. Every year there are new restaurants attractions and what they bring to this city and metro area is amazing.

You could be living in the Orlando Metro area and not even have to step foot in the tourist area if you don't want too. Orlando is diverse and offers a variety of living styles and locations. It's a wide long area and you would not have any issues being able to live real life away from the hectedness.

You can also enjoy yourself in the metro without doing anything in the tourist section. Along with the theme parks having events and happenings year round, so does the city and other communities through the metro. You can be in Seminole County, Northern Orange County, Eastern Orange County, Lake County, Volusia County (To an extent), Brevard County (To an extent) without having to deal with any tourist actually. So I'd suggest just coming down here, on a summer day when it's the most crowded and then again on a none summer day if you are able too and check out the area for yourself.!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
I live in the NW section and work downtown.

My daily life isn't affected by the tourist season at all.

I do avoid the tourist area in general, I'm not big on crowds or heavy traffic. While I do know all the back streets, it's still very nerve racking for me to go out there.
If we are going to venture out there, myself and my circle of friends more than likely will go during the non-tourist season.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:

The southwest side of Orlando can get pretty congested from tourism. IMO the tourist corridor is along I-4 from exit 78 (Conroy Road) all the way to exit 64 (US Highway 192 in Osceola County) The only time tourists are not somewhere along this 14 mile stretch of I-4 is when they are taking off/landing at the airport which is 12 miles to the east of I-Drive via the 528. Other than the south/southwest side of Orlando where a majority of tourists are concentrated, Orlando is really just like any other big city. Just 2.2 million people living life and working, raising families, commuting to and from work daily, and going out on friday and saturday night the way "normal" people do in any other city

This is why I like both downtown Orlando and the east side. I can enjoy all of Orlando, yet be in an area of town that has NOTHING to do with tourism. I love my current location but it is too close to the tourists

Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
The southwest side of Orlando can get pretty congested from tourism. IMO the tourist corridor is along I-4 from exit 78 (Conroy Road) all the way to exit 64 (US Highway 192 in Osceola County) The only time tourists are not somewhere along this 14 mile stretch of I-4 is when they are taking off/landing at the airport which is 12 miles to the east of I-Drive via the 528. Other than the south/southwest side of Orlando where a majority of tourists are concentrated, Orlando is really just like any other big city. Just 2.2 million people living life and working, raising families, commuting to and from work daily, and going out on friday and saturday night the way "normal" people do in any other city

This is why I like both downtown Orlando and the east side. I can enjoy all of Orlando, yet be in an area of town that has NOTHING to do with tourism. I love my current location but it is too close to the tourists
That's good. I would be annoyed by tourists in my face and on the road everyday. But it seems like the majority of them are concentrated in the southwestern section of Orange County.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:38 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times
Quote:
That's good. I would be annoyed by tourists in my face and on the road everyday. But it seems like the majority of them are concentrated in the southwestern section of Orange County.
And Osceola county which has the older 192 tourist strip in the Kissimmee area.Disney World is mostly in Orange but has some areas in Osceola.I believe the All Star Resorts and ESPN Wide World of Sports are in Osceola.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando