Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 12:03 AM

32 posts, read 49,889 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are relatively new to Orlando (arrived in October), and currently lease in Winter Garden. However, we are looking to buy and want to either buy a house with some land, 2-5 acres, or purchase a lot and build on it. However, we have a 4 year old and a 1 year old, which makes schools extremely important to us.

I see some houses with land that fall within our range in Groveland and a few other areas. We drove through the areas in Groveland (one was gated and couldn't get to it) and we weren't thrilled about the mobile homes and land that looked run down and uncared for. We are looking to stay less than $400k, but would go up to $450k. We would like a house 3000+ sqft. We would prefer the land to be mostly cleared, or at allowed to be cleared so that we have the open space.

We would also be open to building, but I am not familiar with the process and have no idea if we could stay under $400k with the land and the construction. Any ideas on how much per square foot a custom house would run? I know details will make a big difference, but if you can ball park it for me that would be great. Also, any suggestions on where to find lots with good schools (and stay within our budget)?

Thanks for any ideas.

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 06:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Groveland schools are iffy.

You'd be able to build 3000 s/f on two acres in your price range. You'd need to find the land, then find a builder, get a construction loan. It's fairly involved but not impossible--we did it.

There are still building lots (2+ acres, no HOA) for sale in Clermont in the East Ridge HS zone (A school), I'd suggest working with a Realtor to find them.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
There are some homes with large lots in Seminole County where the schools would be far better than Lake County.

Clermont does indeed have homes that fit your criteria handily but again it would be Lake County schools.

I have a builder that puts up a good home with nice finishings around the $121/ft price that would be granite counters and such. That doesn't leave much for buying the land, even so there are some lots that would keep you in budget. remember it will take the better part of a year to build.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
There are some homes with large lots in Seminole County where the schools would be far better than Lake County.

Clermont does indeed have homes that fit your criteria handily but again it would be Lake County schools.

I have a builder that puts up a good home with nice finishings around the $121/ft price that would be granite counters and such. That doesn't leave much for buying the land, even so there are some lots that would keep you in budget. remember it will take the better part of a year to build.
If not longer. It was 18 months for my house.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 PM

32 posts, read 49,889 times
Thanks for the responses. This weekend my wife wanted to go look at areas around town that we thought we might like.

First, we went to Arrowtree Reserve (FL-19 & 91 & 27), which I had that tingly feeling inside when driving through the community. It was exactly the type of community we wanted. We absolutely loved it. However, the homes that are available right now are at the top end of our price range (or out of it) and the lots are $100k+ for anything larger than an acre. I saw a house that was foreclosed on at Zillow, but it's not up for sale yet. They were working on it when we drove by.

Then, we drove all the way across town to the Wedgefield area. I saw mostly good reviews on here about it. My wife was not impressed, although it would have been the shortest drive of all the areas to get to work.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando