Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 13,818 times

Advertisements

Since I am planning to move to the Orlando area in a few years, I wanted to get an idea on how much people pay in tolls per month. Since I am a huge Disney fan, I am looking at staying somewhere within 20 miles of the resort. I fly out there every few months, so I am aware of the freeways. One of the issues I want to know is how much do people pay for tolls per month ? Is there secret back roads that are they use to avoid the tolls ? I love the idea of cutting my mortgage in half, but if I have to pay another $200 a month in tolls, then I would be concerned.

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisney View Post
Since I am planning to move to the Orlando area in a few years, I wanted to get an idea on how much people pay in tolls per month. Since I am a huge Disney fan, I am looking at staying somewhere within 20 miles of the resort. I fly out there every few months, so I am aware of the freeways. One of the issues I want to know is how much do people pay for tolls per month ? Is there secret back roads that are they use to avoid the tolls ? I love the idea of cutting my mortgage in half, but if I have to pay another $200 a month in tolls, then I would be concerned.

Eric
Depends on where you will live. Living in South Orlando (Windermere/Dr Phillips) is the best way to get to Disney/Universal without using the toll roads. You'll still need to use them to get to the airport though.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 13,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Depends on where you will live. Living in South Orlando (Windermere/Dr Phillips) is the best way to get to Disney/Universal without using the toll roads. You'll still need to use them to get to the airport though.

What about normal everyday trips to Target, groceries and general daily life ? From what it looks like, the really only free road I could see was I-4, with the rest being toll roads. Are there any other freeways in the Orlando area that are free ?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 AM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:

Eric
Tolls here aren't as expensive compared to elsewhere, though if you think moving here is going to save you bundles of money you might reconsider the math.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Non-work related? I probably have $15 a month in tolls.

I live in Clermont and do pretty much all of my shopping here or at Winter Garden Village. No tolls to get to either of them.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,288 times
Quote:

Eric
I'm Confused. Freeways don't have tolls. Even so I rarely hear people here refer to the interstate as a freeway. Guess it fits for a city thats has roads you pay for? Hmmm never given the term "Freeway" much thought in Orlando, since we only have 1 interstate in city limits.!

Monthly for tolls? Unless you are commuting daily back and forth to work using the 429 you'll be fine. I think I spend $10 a month on tolls to avoid traffic. Most times I use back roads. I also know which roads to drive which speeds to "Make" the traffic lights without getting caught. But the backroads to Disney are great if you know them.

In all if you love Disney, (like I used to) and enjoy going and plan on going, you will spend more for parking (Unless you have that complimentary pass) thhan you would getting there. Traffic around Disney (As well as the other attractions) can become clogged, but thats not EVERYDAY, it's hit and miss and will delay you 15-20 minutes at times. But nothing too bad. But 200 a month in tolls? Not even close unless you just plan on using ONLY tolls EVERDAY lol.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:24 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,659 times
Before I went to school at UCF my monthly toll bill: $0. My mom's monthly toll bill: $0. Now going to UCF twice a week (without E-Pass) is $50.

I live in Dr. Phillips. Except for school there's nowhere I need to go on a regular basis that requires toll roads. Only the occasional east coast beach or airport trip would cost me.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:03 PM

112 posts, read 327,971 times
It depends where you live in relation to where you work. My girlfriend uses about $100 a month in tolls.

Could she avoid the tolls by taking an alternate route? Sure, but the alternate route would be slower, and have traffic lights so her commute time would double due to traffic.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:43 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
I don't need the tolls to get to and from work not does my husband. I'd say we spent $50 in the last 6 months and that included a trip to Miami via the turnpike and two trips to the East side of town.

I use the back roads as much as possible.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:59 PM

10 posts, read 22,196 times
If you dont mind taking a longer route both traffic and distance wise there should be no reason for you to pay for many tolls. It highly depends on where you move as well though. I live near Universal Studios and have a toll bill of $0 a month but once I start taking classes at UCF soon that bill will go up drastically just like brinkofsunshine stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando