Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,812 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm likely going to be accepting a positon at Valencia College Osceola. I would like some advice on a good area to live that will be close to Orlando, safe, within a 30 minute drive of the campus and close to good restaurants. I will be moving with my partner so lgbt friendly is a plus.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 11:40 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
Hunters creek, celebration or Dr Phillips. Really depends on your budget

Old 03-10-2013, 01:04 AM

56 posts, read 119,544 times
^This. Providing a budget will help us narrow down the options for you. Along with any other particulars.

I recommend Hunter's Creek though for easiest access however. You'd just have to drive south on John Young Parkway and turn left on the 532 and go down a couple lights and Valencia Osceloa campus will be on your left. 532 can get heavily congested, which is how you'd travel if you came from Celebration, while south JYP is built considerably better for handling traffic and the flow is much smoother.

Hunter's Creek also is close to its own local shopping center, the Loop, which is basically where most of the locals shop and dine. You'd also be close to the tourist attractions and those accompanying restaurants without feeling like your whole existence revolves around them, which can't be said for Celebration of Doctor Phillips.

If that's what you want though, definitely check them out. They are still great places to live. Doctor Phillips would be the farthest away, but great community, well known for its Restaurant Row and close proximity to shopping, the theme parks, and schools. Celebration is in Osceola county, the county you'll be working while the other two are in Orange, and their primary and secondary schools fall short. Celebration is close to Walt Disney World and is a planned community built around that idea. Both of these areas are very expensive.

Price tier for them- Doctor Phillips > Celebration > Hunter's Creek.

If those are too expensive, you could also try neighborhoods South Chase, Meadow Woods, and Falcon Trace which border the road Orange Blossom Trail which is adjacent to JYP. They fall behind the school you'll be working and would be maybe a 5-7 minute drive away. They are still close to shopping and restaurants, but a little more affordable than DP, Celebration and HC.

As for LGBT friendly, I'd say most of South Orlando, where you'll be working is, for the most part, accepting. I wouldn't say they are as intelligent about the matter as other metros would be, however, but most people have a very casual way of approaching life here. If you are gay/trans/bi, nobody really cares. Sure, you're going to have somebody who disagrees (usually someone older, insecure man, or someone from a "traditional" family), but they aren't going to attack you for it, however, being part of the LGBT you should be prepared for opposition anywhere.

Needless to say, I'm fluid, but I've never felt threatened here. Most you'll get is some eyerolling remarks. Most people are open minded on the matter or easy going, and if they feel uncomfortable, they'll brush it off. You should get along fine.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,812 times
Thanks so much!! My budget is flexible. I'd prefer to stay around 900 but can go up to 1100 if necessary. I've heard a lot of good things about Hunters Creek so I will definitely be looking there. Fortunately I'll be able to come take a look next week so I can get a feel for things myself. Thank you again for your comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando