Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 12,306 times

Advertisements

Howdy all, I will be moving to Orlando in two months and am wanting some information on the area.
Little background, I'm a recent college grad and I live near Dallas right now, but am kind of wanting something new other than Texas, yea its a fun place but it's getting kind of old.

I already know the general area where I will be living, Windermere I believe is the name of the area, so these questions are pretty basic.

Nightlife: How's the nightlife in Orlando? I grew up in a small town so if you say it sucks because it's not "LA, NYC, or Chicago" that means nothing to me. I just want to know if the city has a good nightlife and if it's fun and where is the best area to go.

Friends: I'm a pretty outgoing guy, and its easy to make friends in Dallas, is it the same way in Orlando? Also, are there a lot of young people there?

Outdoors: It looks like there are tons of lakes around there, is there a lot of outdoors stuff to do like hiking and all that, I'm pretty familiar with Florida being flat so I know there are not mountains.

Crime: What are the best areas to steer clear of?

Weather: Is Orlando pretty much like the rest of the South, hot and humid? Also, living in North Texas, we get a hail storms a lot, does this happen there? And the final one, do y'all get tornadoes there?

If I can think of anymore I'll ask later, thanks for the help in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 06:06 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,676,262 times
Nightlife: It's not bad although it can't be compared to the powerhouses like ATL, Miami, and NYC.

Friends: Everyone is different in how they interact with one another. It all depends on you.

Outdoors: There are a lot to do. Orlando is only a hour away from the Atlantic and the Gulf. There are lakes around the city where you can enjoy some outdoor fun. We have trails as well.

Crime: It's not that bad. Just use your own intuition for the precautions you use in keeping yourself out of harm's way.

Weather: It's not bad. The only problem is the humidity during the summer. Starting by October, it's pretty moderate. It rains profusely in the summer. The weather isn't that complex.

My only advice to you is to make sure you land a job before you settle down.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:53 AM

492 posts, read 1,024,925 times
Nightlife: Lots of clubs downtown, lots of bars everywhere (everything from dive to upscale wine bars), several good live theaters, a decent amount of live music (local and big names), and also things like Citywalk.

Friends: Lots of young people downtown and by UCF.

Outdoors: Tons of outdoor stuff, mostly focused on lakes/springs/state parks.

Crime: Inside the city, focus on staying IN zips 32801, 32803, 32804, 32806. Stay EAST of I-4 for the most part. There are some exceptions. There are also some nice suburbs. Asking about specific locations is helpful. Orlando is a big place.

Weather: Some minor hail storms, not too much. Some tornadoes (I think we are ranked 3rd in the county for number), but they are usually small and don't do much damage. *Small* risk of hurricanes. The weather is very nice from about the end of October through the beginning of March, with small periods of decent weather on either side of that time period. During the summer, especially July and August, it gets extremely hot and humid, but daily afternoon showers often cool it off so that evenings feel better. I hate July and August, but they are worth it for the rest of the year's great weather!

Old 09-15-2013, 11:29 AM

Awesome, thanks for the advice y'all.

I'll be living in Windermere, from what I can tell that seems to be a good area. Are there bars in that area or are they farther away?

As for friends and all that, when I looked on Google maps it looks like UCF is on the other side of the city from where I'll be, are there young people around the area where I will be at? I know it's a suburb so it probably wont be a young person mecca, but are there at least a few?

This might be a dumb question but, when you move to Florida do you automatically have to get a FLA drivers license or can I keep my Texas ones? I think in Texas you have to get one within 6 moths of moving here possibly (?).

This is kind of a trivial question. But What is Orlando like itself? Is it pretty or is it kind of run down? I've never been there so I don't really know what it's like.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:47 PM

492 posts, read 1,024,925 times
DL Info: http://www.flhsmv.gov/dhsmv/newflres.html

Some of Orlando is pretty, some is not. Many people (from out of town) have personally commented to me that downtown and surrounding areas are very pretty. But, as I said, a lot of run down areas exist, as well. It depends on where you are (just like in most cities).

I don't know much about Windermere. Sorry.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:27 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,336,163 times
The best bar/restaurant/nightlife area outside of downtown will be right near where you'll be staying along Sand Lake Road. Sand Lake has restaurant row, which is basically a lot of really great restaurants, some of which turn into lounges/bars/clubs late hight. Most have really good happy hours. The only drawback about Sand Lake is that it tends to be an older crowd, meaning it also tends to be more expensive. Other than that Downtown, Baldwin Park and Winter Park all have their little scenes. If you can still fit in, the East Orlando/University area by UCF has basically turned into a mini college town within the city. Making friends here is like making friends anywhere else, it's just about finding people with common interests.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:21 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTexan89 View Post

I'll be living in Windermere, from what I can tell that seems to be a good area. Are there bars in that area or are they farther away?

As for friends and all that, when I looked on Google maps it looks like UCF is on the other side of the city from where I'll be, are there young people around the area where I will be at? I know it's a suburb so it probably wont be a young person mecca, but are there at least a few?
This is kind of a trivial question. But What is Orlando like itself? Is it pretty or is it kind of run down? I've never been there so I don't really know what it's like.
Agreed with the poster above about Sand Lake Rd./Restaurant Row. World of Beer is a hot spot for the 20's crowd and has a ton of specials.

Windermere/Dr. Phillips will have people in your age group. Who do you think works at the theme parks?

Orlando can be very pretty.. the downtown neighborhoods are very charming, and the upscale areas are great too. Windermere is really beautiful.. especially around Main St. where the huge oaks canopy the streets.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:22 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,572,273 times
Quote:

This might be a dumb question but, when you move to Florida do you automatically have to get a FLA drivers license or can I keep my Texas ones? I think in Texas you have to get one within 6 moths of moving here possibly (?).

I work in Dr Phillips near Windermere and there are a few good ones along Sand Lake Road, mainly Rocco's Tacos, World of Beer, you'll also be close to all the bars on I-Drive like Senor Frogs and Howl at the Moon

Old 09-17-2013, 10:07 AM

290 posts, read 688,500 times
Quote:
Howdy all, I will be moving to Orlando in two months and am wanting some information on the area.
Little background, I'm a recent college grad and I live near Dallas right now, but am kind of wanting something new other than Texas, yea its a fun place but it's getting kind of old.

I already know the general area where I will be living, Windermere I believe is the name of the area, so these questions are pretty basic.

Nightlife: How's the nightlife in Orlando? I grew up in a small town so if you say it sucks because it's not "LA, NYC, or Chicago" that means nothing to me. I just want to know if the city has a good nightlife and if it's fun and where is the best area to go.

Friends: I'm a pretty outgoing guy, and its easy to make friends in Dallas, is it the same way in Orlando? Also, are there a lot of young people there?

Outdoors: It looks like there are tons of lakes around there, is there a lot of outdoors stuff to do like hiking and all that, I'm pretty familiar with Florida being flat so I know there are not mountains.

Crime: What are the best areas to steer clear of?

Weather: Is Orlando pretty much like the rest of the South, hot and humid? Also, living in North Texas, we get a hail storms a lot, does this happen there? And the final one, do y'all get tornadoes there?

If I can think of anymore I'll ask later, thanks for the help in advance
Well let me first give a quick snapshot of myself for comparison purposes..lived in Orlando my whole life up until a year ago, am a 28 yr old male, enjoy nightlife myself, as well as outdoors & sports.

Nightlife: Orlando's nightlife is meh. Downtown will be the prime source of it..a lot of bars/clubs. Wall St has 5-6 bars within a closed-off area, Church St has 5-6 bars/clubs, and then some other clubs & dive bars scattered throughout the streets--Eye Spy, I-Bar, The Lodge, Ember, Stigma, Vintage, Vain & Tier (the more "nightclubs" of the bunch), Graffiti Junktion. Restaurant Row in DP has nice bars (Rocco's Tacos, Bar Louie, WOB), but they're going to be more expensive & it's pretty much cougartown w/ rich old guys (except for WOB). Blue Martini is right by the Millenia Mall, and has the same concept as Bar Louie. Anything out by UCF will obviously be more college-oriented & dive bars. Citywalk and I-Drive are definitely more touristy than anything, very seldom would I ever go to either..more so with family or with people from work. Park Ave in Winter Park is a nice area for a daytime drink and chill..but pricey as well. I think you will enjoy Orlando's nightlife, especially for the first year or so, but if you consistently go out a lot, the areas will get old after a while.

Friends: There are young people, more so because you have UCF, and then so many people that (for whatever reason) want to work out at Disney..and Universal as well. So if you get a job in that hospitality industry, it's very easy to make friends because chances are everyone will be young as well (who can really provide for a family making $8/hr??). But remember these will be 2 types of people..a lot of those that go to UCF are out-of-towners whose mommy & daddy are paying for them & their housing while going to school, so you can invision the type of people they more than likely are going to be (not saying all)..whereas those working at Disney or Universal are as I said in the hospitality industry & are going to be more of an "on a budget" type (hey, I was there at one point, so I can say it). One thing I'd also recommend if you're into sports, and this could also play into the outdoors idea, is get into one (or more) of the city leagues. Orlando Sports Social has flag football, soccer, softball, volleyball, aaand kickball I think. And it's reasonably priced to get into it. There's also basketball leagues too. They're offered different nights of the week, and weekends as well.

Outdoors: You definitely won't get much hiking while in Orlando, but there are a lot of bike trails and parks to run in..that kind of thing. And yes, tons of lakes, so boating and the sports that coincide--skiing, wakeboarding, tubing, etc--are what you'll get the most of. I personally am not a big beach person, but yes you have both the Gulf Coast (Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete) and the Atlantic (Cocoa/Melbourne/Daytona/New Smyrna).

Crime: I always have mixed emotions on this topic. While crime isn't necessarily atrocious there any more (ask me 5-6 yrs ago I would say differently), just make sure you stay out of the shady areas. Don't go walking around Pine Hills..anything on OBT (Orange Blossom Trail/441) north of Holden Ave, maybe even north of Oak Ridge Rd..anything in between Kirkman Rd & OBT..if you're downtown, west of I-4..the Englewood & Azalea Park areas..southern Orlando around OBT, going into Osceola County.

Weather: Now here's where anyone that sees me post on here knows I tend to bash Orlando. From my own personal perspective, the weather is miserable in Orlando! It is so hot & humid for 7 months of the year, that you just hate life..from April'ish to October'ish. Because it sits in the middle of the state, you don't get that coastal breeze that a Tampa or Ft Lauderdale would get. Yes, I know everyone says you just go from home to car to work & vice versa, so you're in AC all the time..but I don't want to have to be like that. I want to be able to go outside and walk around without sweating profusely the second I do. And during the height of the summer months, it literally downpours every single day at the end of the day. Now during the few months of fall & spring, it is gorgeous, I will admit that..just sucks it's such a short time. As for tornados, not really..but there's the obvious hurricane concern, though it hasn't really been bad as of late.

I guess the only thing I can say is that when you live anywhere for a long time and tend to do the same things over & over, it gets old..especially when you're young at least. When you get older & look to start a family, it's a different mindset obviously, but for a young person--again, IMO--Orlando is a little stagnant. I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a few years though. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown native View Post
Well let me first give a quick snapshot of myself for comparison purposes..lived in Orlando my whole life up until a year ago, am a 28 yr old male, enjoy nightlife myself, as well as outdoors & sports.

Nightlife: Orlando's nightlife is meh. Downtown will be the prime source of it..a lot of bars/clubs. Wall St has 5-6 bars within a closed-off area, Church St has 5-6 bars/clubs, and then some other clubs & dive bars scattered throughout the streets--Eye Spy, I-Bar, The Lodge, Ember, Stigma, Vintage, Vain & Tier (the more "nightclubs" of the bunch), Graffiti Junktion. Restaurant Row in DP has nice bars (Rocco's Tacos, Bar Louie, WOB), but they're going to be more expensive & it's pretty much cougartown w/ rich old guys (except for WOB). Blue Martini is right by the Millenia Mall, and has the same concept as Bar Louie. Anything out by UCF will obviously be more college-oriented & dive bars. Citywalk and I-Drive are definitely more touristy than anything, very seldom would I ever go to either..more so with family or with people from work. Park Ave in Winter Park is a nice area for a daytime drink and chill..but pricey as well. I think you will enjoy Orlando's nightlife, especially for the first year or so, but if you consistently go out a lot, the areas will get old after a while.

Friends: There are young people, more so because you have UCF, and then so many people that (for whatever reason) want to work out at Disney..and Universal as well. So if you get a job in that hospitality industry, it's very easy to make friends because chances are everyone will be young as well (who can really provide for a family making $8/hr??). But remember these will be 2 types of people..a lot of those that go to UCF are out-of-towners whose mommy & daddy are paying for them & their housing while going to school, so you can invision the type of people they more than likely are going to be (not saying all)..whereas those working at Disney or Universal are as I said in the hospitality industry & are going to be more of an "on a budget" type (hey, I was there at one point, so I can say it). One thing I'd also recommend if you're into sports, and this could also play into the outdoors idea, is get into one (or more) of the city leagues. Orlando Sports Social has flag football, soccer, softball, volleyball, aaand kickball I think. And it's reasonably priced to get into it. There's also basketball leagues too. They're offered different nights of the week, and weekends as well.

Outdoors: You definitely won't get much hiking while in Orlando, but there are a lot of bike trails and parks to run in..that kind of thing. And yes, tons of lakes, so boating and the sports that coincide--skiing, wakeboarding, tubing, etc--are what you'll get the most of. I personally am not a big beach person, but yes you have both the Gulf Coast (Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete) and the Atlantic (Cocoa/Melbourne/Daytona/New Smyrna).

Crime: I always have mixed emotions on this topic. While crime isn't necessarily atrocious there any more (ask me 5-6 yrs ago I would say differently), just make sure you stay out of the shady areas. Don't go walking around Pine Hills..anything on OBT (Orange Blossom Trail/441) north of Holden Ave, maybe even north of Oak Ridge Rd..anything in between Kirkman Rd & OBT..if you're downtown, west of I-4..the Englewood & Azalea Park areas..southern Orlando around OBT, going into Osceola County.

Weather: Now here's where anyone that sees me post on here knows I tend to bash Orlando. From my own personal perspective, the weather is miserable in Orlando! It is so hot & humid for 7 months of the year, that you just hate life..from April'ish to October'ish. Because it sits in the middle of the state, you don't get that coastal breeze that a Tampa or Ft Lauderdale would get. Yes, I know everyone says you just go from home to car to work & vice versa, so you're in AC all the time..but I don't want to have to be like that. I want to be able to go outside and walk around without sweating profusely the second I do. And during the height of the summer months, it literally downpours every single day at the end of the day. Now during the few months of fall & spring, it is gorgeous, I will admit that..just sucks it's such a short time. As for tornados, not really..but there's the obvious hurricane concern, though it hasn't really been bad as of late.

I guess the only thing I can say is that when you live anywhere for a long time and tend to do the same things over & over, it gets old..especially when you're young at least. When you get older & look to start a family, it's a different mindset obviously, but for a young person--again, IMO--Orlando is a little stagnant. I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a few years though. Good luck!

Awesome, thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason why you left? Was it something in particular about the city or did you just want to move somewhere else?

As for nightlife, I can handle the expense, it can't be worse than Uptown Dallas, at least I hope not lol.

I apparently need to make friends who have a boat. I was also checking out the clearwater springs, or whatever they are called, and they looked pretty cool. Again with hiking, it doesn't have to be amazing, there aren't any mountains near where I live now, and there are barely any trees, so anything is a plus to this lol.

My buddy did the college intern program, and they paid him jack crap so I can understand that, I'm not in the hospitality industry so it doesn't really pertain to me. I would just like recent college grads to hang out with, and I'm guessing it's the same as it is here, they all seem to gravitate towards downtown.

One question, is Orlando pretty laid back? After living in DFW with 7 million people I'm completely ready to be somewhere that's a little more chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando