Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:41 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,354 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying in the area, for a future retirement home, possibly renting out in the meanwhile. Wife, who is from Brazil, favors Kissimmee, due to large number of Brazilians she knows of who have bought there and lower crime rate (at least according to some sites, such as City-Data). We'd like to stay close to $300k, to give an idea of the market we're looking at.

More immediate question: we could next be in the are either in March or June. Latter would be more convenient with our plans, but wonder how much of a risk there is of prices appreciating a lot in the interim. No one can guarantee anything of course, but is there still a large inventory in both areas? June would certainly give us a better idea of the downside of the area, weather-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
With a budget like that you can afford a much nicer area than Kissimmee. Kissimmee is not generally considered a desirable area, especially around 192 and the attractions.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:48 AM

My principal question is the rate at which prices are going up in the area, including Orlando, not just Kissimmee, but while I have read about some eastern areas of Kissimmee being less desirable, I've heard less about other areas. Wife's friend bought a single family condo on Emerald Blvd., south of 192, west of 429, east of 27. Gated condo community. Renting out on a short term basis permitted. I am also looking at listings in other areas, including Doctor Phillips and Lake Nona.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:14 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
We are considering buying in the area, for a future retirement home, possibly renting out in the meanwhile. Wife, who is from Brazil, favors Kissimmee, due to large number of Brazilians she knows of who have bought there and lower crime rate (at least according to some sites, such as City-Data). We'd like to stay close to $300k, to give an idea of the market we're looking at.

More immediate question: we could next be in the are either in March or June. Latter would be more convenient with our plans, but wonder how much of a risk there is of prices appreciating a lot in the interim. No one can guarantee anything of course, but is there still a large inventory in both areas? June would certainly give us a better idea of the downside of the area, weather-wise.
To be honest with you Kissimmee is not that nice of an area, it often gets a negative reputation with locals due to its proximity to the tourist areas and there are alot of low income neighborhoods.. In regards to Brazilian population, I have Brazilian friends that live all over Orlando, I do not know any Brazilian person that lives in Kissimmee.. For what you are looking for and your price range, I would recommend other areas which are much nicer than Kissimee.. Here are some recommendations:

- Dr. Phillips/Windermere
- Baldwin Park
- Winter Park
- Oviedo/Winter Springs
- Maitland
- Altamonte Springs/Longwood
- Waterford Lakes/Avalon Park/East Orlando

Please let me know if you have any other questions.. Best of luck in your search!!

Old 01-30-2014, 05:17 PM

629 posts, read 1,721,560 times
Just to add, purchasing in a community that allows short-term rentals with the idea of that being your retirement home would be a very poor choice. For your budget you can do a heck of a lot better than a short-term rental community in Kissimmee.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:41 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
How about someone answer his question, rather than dissuade him from a place he's interested in?

Yes, prices are increasing. Max 3% a month as some places in Orlando have been in the past year.
That said higher home prices are a bit more stable.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:20 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Kissimmee's crime rate is actually way above average according to the FBI. The only reason city-data rates it low is because it weighs other crimes more severely. For example, a murder is worse than someone getting shot at or beaten (these fall under aggravated assault rate, which is real high in Kissimmee). Property crime and drugs are also a problem in Kissimmee.

The best areas were the ones recommended by MrKnight.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the input! Only thinking of renting out what we buy since we may not permanently relocate for 6 years (and by then may choose a different area for a home to stay in). Wife's friends like the short-term rental where they are since they can occasionally use the place. They are Brazilian and say there are many others in Kissimmee. Violent crime is more important than property crime to me, though neither is good. Will look at the areas suggested above. Other area we're most interested is western Puget Sound (a real contrast), after looking in many different places in the country. What about the politics/culture of the area? If it weren't so conservative, we probably would have bought in western North Carolina. One of my cousins and her husband live half-time in New Smyrna Beach. I've been to Miami in May and October and found it too hot and humid. But whatever we end up buying soon may not be our long term retirement abode.

Last edited by Samoi137; 01-31-2014 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-31-2014, 04:53 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Kissimmee isn't nice. In fact, a story coming out of Kissimmee was on the news last night.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Kissimmee isn't nice. In fact, a story coming out of Kissimmee was on the news last night.
Well, that narrows it down. You didn't give any details whatsoever, but I found this: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/0...eer-squad.html That shows how bad Kissimmee is.

Back to one earlier question: are Kissimmee and Orlando generally conservative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando