Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:01 PM

12 posts, read 19,694 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to down to Winter Park from Central Illinois. My husband is wanting to attend Full Sail for his bachelors. Looking to move the summer of 2016. I am certified as a 911 dispatcher and when we move my husband will have his associates in multi-media production. We have been married 4 years we currently have no kids and we have one small dachshund.

What is the area like as far as living? Cost? Safe?

What is the job market like in the area?

Overall how do you like living in the Winter Park/Orlando area?

How is Full Sail as a school? Have any of you attended there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 06:45 PM

428 posts, read 1,083,210 times
Winter Park/ Baldwin Park; wonderful.
Full Sail;joke.
Nephew graduated and now manages a Sunglass Hut.
Owes 80K in loans.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:45 PM

217 posts, read 326,000 times
Full Sail is getting better as far as credibility goes, but the costs are extremely high (UCF down the road is so much cheaper and an actual university). It really depends on what your husband wants to do. Full Sail has a great relationship in certain entertainment industries (music, WWE, graphic design, etc.)

Winter Park is an awesome area.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:24 PM

He wants to get his bachelors through their sound/audio live performance program. It is cheaper than the art institute that he was looking at. He is very focused on this as his career and has been for a long time. From what I have read it is a hard school and one really needs to know it is what they want to do before going.

Glad to hear winter park is a good area? Is it really expensive as far as rent?

Old 02-25-2014, 08:40 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
Full Sail as a school has a bad reputation in the business. Go on any trade sites from people that work ( not trying to sell you) and they will tell you its a scam.
When considering this school you should look at their own website.....http://fullsailuniversityreviews.blogspot.com/ why would any school find it necessary to put on their own website.."Is Full Sail University a scam" if they did not have such a bad reputation.
I never went their and never will go but with No admission standards just pay money how good can it be.

Last edited by tworent; 02-25-2014 at 09:04 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 06:26 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Full Sail as a school has a bad reputation in the business. Go on any trade sites from people that work ( not trying to sell you) and they will tell you its a scam.
When considering this school you should look at their own website.....Full Sail University Reviews why would any school find it necessary to put on their own website.."Is Full Sail University a scam" if they did not have such a bad reputation.
I never went their and never will go but with No admission standards just pay money how good can it be.
I agree. Along with the "Art Institutes" that take every applicant as long as they're paid. One needs a certain level of aptitude to perform any job and if there's already a sign of great potential according to the OP, why not go to a legitimate college/university that offers transferable degree credits should plans change in several years? A Bachelor's Degree from Full Sail (and the Art Institutes) are completely worthless to traditional colleges/universities and should career plans change which are quite likely these days, you're going to have to start all over again.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM

214 posts, read 468,253 times
Has he looked at Valencia Community College?

http://valenciacollege.edu/asdegrees...dMusicTech.pdf

I have heard very mixed reviews of Full Sail and I honestly wouldn't trust it - I have heard a lot of people saying it didn't help with their career but did help put them into debt.

My son is into studio recording etc. and I was looking at Full sail as a possiblity for him, but was scared off

Old 02-26-2014, 06:17 PM

We will figure things out about the school. My husband is doing research into it. For me I really just want to know about the living and expenses of Winter Park. As well as the job market in the area?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:32 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
[quote=lisa429;33654110]We will figure things out about the school. My husband is doing research into it. For me I really just want to know about the living and expenses of Winter Park. As well as the job market in the area?[/QUOTE

hook, line, and sinkerthey got him they sold him his own dream

Old 02-27-2014, 07:14 AM

26 posts, read 34,560 times
Full Sail is what you make of it. I went there a ways back and through their job placement found a job in the industry after a quick internship. I have several classmates who moved to California and New York and are doing quite well. I also know of several classmates who ended up in retail, food service or answering phones. Just like any school don't expect you are going to get a degree and be handed a career. Full Sail does a great job showing off their gear and filling your head with the idea that you will be the next Steven Spielberg or making beats for Jay-Z once you graduate. They are a business and as such are there to make a buck, they do however have state of the art facilities and give the students the chance to get their hands on stuff I haven't seen anywhere else.

As far as Winter Park, it's great but a little pricey. I'd avoid living in the apartments surrounding Full Sail. They are filled with students and their computers and people wanting to take those computers. I would look just west of Full Sail for a rental house if you can afford it. Probably about $1000 - $1300 a month, if you are lucky you might be able to find a 2/1 a few miles down the road around $800...just try and stay West of 436 if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando