Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 04:43 PM

28 posts, read 57,406 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the Orlando forums for months in preparation of my move. I have gained a wealth of info and I thank everyone for that. However I have not seen this type of scenario posted. I am 32 years old and will be relocating to Orlando for my job. I get to take my salary with me which is $80g per year. I work in the IT field. I am gay and I am married. My wife is going to leave her job and find new work in Orlando. We are African American and we want to move to Lake Nona as we love the area and its only about 15 minutes away from my job. We are moving from NYC

Will Lake Nona be a problem for a lesbian married African american couple? We are quiet and dont bother anyone and just want a beautiful nice home to raise our future child in. We dont club and we dont party. We enjoy fine dining, shopping, wine bars and good frozen yogurt LOL

We are thrilled of the new Trader Joes opening in Winter Park as that is where we do most of our grocery shopping now in NYC

We know Lake Nona is a bit far out for restaurants etc but we dont mind driving to Dr. Phillips for all of that. We looked into that area but the traffic is a nightmare. I like Winter Park as well but again a bit to far from my job. I commute about an hour to work now and want to cut down on that time drastically when we move to Orlando

Please answer truthfully as I dont want us to feel unwanted in the area. We go down to Orlando next week for 8 days to look at homes in Lake Nona

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 07:28 PM

251 posts, read 637,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesst81 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been reading the Orlando forums for months in preparation of my move. I have gained a wealth of info and I thank everyone for that. However I have not seen this type of scenario posted. I am 32 years old and will be relocating to Orlando for my job. I get to take my salary with me which is $80g per year. I work in the IT field. I am gay and I am married. My wife is going to leave her job and find new work in Orlando. We are African American and we want to move to Lake Nona as we love the area and its only about 15 minutes away from my job. We are moving from NYC

Will Lake Nona be a problem for a lesbian married African american couple? We are quiet and dont bother anyone and just want a beautiful nice home to raise our future child in. We dont club and we dont party. We enjoy fine dining, shopping, wine bars and good frozen yogurt LOL

We are thrilled of the new Trader Joes opening in Winter Park as that is where we do most of our grocery shopping now in NYC

We know Lake Nona is a bit far out for restaurants etc but we dont mind driving to Dr. Phillips for all of that. We looked into that area but the traffic is a nightmare. I like Winter Park as well but again a bit to far from my job. I commute about an hour to work now and want to cut down on that time drastically when we move to Orlando

Please answer truthfully as I dont want us to feel unwanted in the area. We go down to Orlando next week for 8 days to look at homes in Lake Nona

Thank you for your time!
I'm curious as to why you would choose Orlando and not Atlanta will you would be much more welcome?

Old 06-21-2014, 07:32 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,081,169 times
You'll be fine in the area. The majority of Orlando is plenty welcoming to all types- but certainly Gays and Lesbians (and those with money!)

That all said...... with a combined income of over 100K, I'd look better than Lake Nona. There's plenty of places better if you're willing for a short commute. (Under 25 minutes).

If you love it, go right ahead for sure- but I'd take a look at the nicer areas in 32806 and 32803- and East Belle Isle.
You will certainly be closer to the city center which is also lovely and has a lot of the amenities you probably enjoy in NYC and will be much closer to the Trader Joes.

Dr Phillips is a great choice too, but as you say- will be a lot more commuting.

You may find Nona is top notch for everything, but certainly keep your eye out for the fine parts of the more centralized Area of the city. It's worth it if you can afford it.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
I'm curious as to why you would choose Orlando and not Atlanta will you would be much more welcome?
As I said in my original post, I am relocating with my job. Hence I go wherever my job goes.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
You'll be fine in the area. The majority of Orlando is plenty welcoming to all types- but certainly Gays and Lesbians (and those with money!)

That all said...... with a combined income of over 100K, I'd look better than Lake Nona. There's plenty of places better if you're willing for a short commute. (Under 25 minutes).

If you love it, go right ahead for sure- but I'd take a look at the nicer areas in 32806 and 32803- and East Belle Isle.
You will certainly be closer to the city center which is also lovely and has a lot of the amenities you probably enjoy in NYC and will be much closer to the Trader Joes.

Dr Phillips is a great choice too, but as you say- will be a lot more commuting.

You may find Nona is top notch for everything, but certainly keep your eye out for the fine parts of the more centralized Area of the city. It's worth it if you can afford it.
Thank you WithDisp for your response! Since we will be moving down there with only my income at first, I rather play it safe and just move somewhere we can afford plus do the things we like to do which is going out to eat and drinking good wine all on my salary alone. Once the wife finds a job, then I am more willing to look elsewhere. She makes about $68g here in NY so hopefully she finds something close to that. We also have plans to start a business but that is in the future and we will have to research where in Orlando would be best to do that etc. We have alot of dreams and goals. Thank you for those recommendations and I will certainly look into those areas.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,658 times
Hello there,
I don't live in Orlando; however, I have been there quite a bit, I am also moving there soon from NYC. I am a lesbian as well and I've been doing lots of reseach on this matter. Acoording to the advocate Orlando, FL is in the top 15 of gayest cities in the nation. not even Miami or NYC made the list. My reasons to move are completely different, but being that you already have a job lined up, I am sure you will be a great fit for a great city. In addition, I have seen plenty gay couples being very affectionate and they don't seem afraid or concern.

Good luck with your move

Old 06-22-2014, 04:51 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesst81 View Post
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your time!
I would seriously rethink the Lake Nona choice. I think you will feel completely comfortable living in Lake Nona but given the fact all or most of your social/recreational life will be found elsewhere is going to make living there not so pleasant in my opinion. Given you'll be working about 15 minutes from home I would guess your workplace is probably in/around the Innovation Way area. (?) If so that's about 20 miles and about 40 minutes to Winter Park. As someone who wound up in a similar situation in terms of location (not by choice) I would greatly urge you to consider living in/near a place where you'll want to be spending your nights and weekends, versus just being closer to work. Life in Winter Park will be infinitely more pleasurable than Lake Nona given your interests.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraflamey View Post
Hello there,
I don't live in Orlando; however, I have been there quite a bit, I am also moving there soon from NYC. I am a lesbian as well and I've been doing lots of reseach on this matter. Acoording to the advocate Orlando, FL is in the top 15 of gayest cities in the nation. not even Miami or NYC made the list. My reasons to move are completely different, but being that you already have a job lined up, I am sure you will be a great fit for a great city. In addition, I have seen plenty gay couples being very affectionate and they don't seem afraid or concern.

Good luck with your move
Thank you! This post was very nice and made me feel good as my wife and I are affectionate. We hold hands etc. We are still newlyweds as we are coming up on 3 years married.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would seriously rethink the Lake Nona choice. I think you will feel completely comfortable living in Lake Nona but given the fact all or most of your social/recreational life will be found elsewhere is going to make living there not so pleasant in my opinion. Given you'll be working about 15 minutes from home I would guess your workplace is probably in/around the Innovation Way area. (?) If so that's about 20 miles and about 40 minutes to Winter Park. As someone who wound up in a similar situation in terms of location (not by choice) I would greatly urge you to consider living in/near a place where you'll want to be spending your nights and weekends, versus just being closer to work. Life in Winter Park will be infinitely more pleasurable than Lake Nona given your interests.
Thank you kyle19215, I understand what you are saying however we dont mind driving to restaurants. Lake Nona has 2 very good wine bars that I have visited already since I was down there for work a couple of months ago. However I told my wife what you said and now she wants to look in Winter Park LOL Can you give me some zip codes I can look into? We will test out commute to my job etc when we go down next week. WOW I feel completely comfortable going down there. Never knew my biggest challenge would be where to living e LOL

Old 06-22-2014, 06:54 AM

219 posts, read 377,948 times
Winter Park would be my choice! Great shopping, restaurants, trendy bars and coffee shops, parks. I think you will find Central Florida as a whole to be very welcoming to the gay community. Your move will be fine, wherever you land in the Orlando area. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando