Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 05:30 PM

142 posts, read 272,588 times

Advertisements

I knew this would not work out in Orlando, too many people in this area have grown accustomed to automobiles and other means of transportation for a project like Sunrail to prosper.

Thursday Morning Political Headlines: Sunrail ridership falling | The Orlando Political Observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 08:11 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,758 times
Well with this All aboard Florida project Rick Scott is all of sudden supporting how do you believe that is going to work out. He quickly rejected high speed rail money from the government but only is supporting this project because it is private an they would probably contribute to his campaign.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:30 AM

27,223 posts, read 43,956,177 times
I didn't take a whole lot to figure out that SunRail would bomb given the decentralized infrastructure of the Orlando metro area. We don't have a traditional metro in that a majority of commuters come from outlying suburbs to one or two different business districts and Fixed-Route Mass Transit systems are setup for that type of city. Bus Rapid Transit would have been a far better system allowing for the many variables we have for workplace commutes and allow flexibility for change as needed. Perhaps they can start marketing it as a ride for the kiddies on the weekends, which seems to account for a good chunk of business as it is already.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:33 AM

26 posts, read 34,573 times
Maybe if it ran on the weekend, until midnight (at least) and had connecting lines running east/west it would actually be useful for more than 2% of the population.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:11 AM

782 posts, read 1,369,536 times
Or for a different view:

SunRail ridership numbers decline - Orlando Sentinel

August was one of the best months in DC for riding Metro because there were a LOT less people on it -- between vacations and Congresscritters being out of town, it was like a holiday every day.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
As I said...

They spent a huge amount of cash for a project that benefited very few, and those who did benefit quickly bored with the novelty.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:20 AM

782 posts, read 1,369,536 times
The big challenge is that special interests decide where it will *not* go. You've got Mears opposed to running it from MCO to Disney or to the Convention Center district because they lose out of fares. You have Disney opposed running to from their parks to Universal or Sea World, because that allows tourists to visit other sites. You've got MCO opposed to running it from Tampa to the Orlando area because people might fly into Tampa for cheaper fares.

I'd gladly use Sunrail, except that the nearest station to me is about a 35 minute drive away.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:11 AM

185 posts, read 457,718 times
You are crazy. SunRail is great. Central Floridians just need to get used to it and use it more. "If you build it they will come" is true... I try and use it daily but the times are not the best yet. Last southbound AM train from Lake Mary is 8:13AM, if they had one more 30 min later (their current time spacing) I would never miss it.

I-4 sucks - took me 1.5 hrs one day this week to get from Lake Mary to downtown. Really wish I woke up earlier to catch the train that day!

BTW - all the problems that people emphasize are not really issues they just come with the territory of running a commuter train. Check out commuter rails in the NE corridor you'll see all the same issues, but worse. So SunRail is excellent by those standards. (except hours of operation...)

Old 09-19-2014, 10:21 AM

27,223 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post
You are crazy. SunRail is great. Central Floridians just need to get used to it and use it more. "If you build it they will come" is true... I try and use it daily but the times are not the best yet. Last southbound AM train from Lake Mary is 8:13AM, if they had one more 30 min later (their current time spacing) I would never miss it.

I-4 sucks - took me 1.5 hrs one day this week to get from Lake Mary to downtown. Really wish I woke up earlier to catch the train that day!

BTW - all the problems that people emphasize are not really issues they just come with the territory of running a commuter train. Check out commuter rails in the NE corridor you'll see all the same issues, but worse. So SunRail is excellent by those standards. (except hours of operation...)
Apparently most didn't get the memo that building it was sufficient reason to use Sunrail, due to the fact a vast majority cannot use it due to geographic or time restrictions. The issues mentioned aren't mirrored in the Northeast Corridor since all of those areas feature population size and density that lives/works in locations conducive to a successful commuter rail service, and the fact that you're drawing any comparisons between Central Florida and the Northeast Corridor suggests any lack of knowledge of the many differences.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:40 AM

217 posts, read 326,134 times
It's one month (the first one with ridership decline). It was a month where there were a few days in which service had to be delayed or cancelled due to train crashes (Not SunRail) that took up the railways.
If this becomes a trend, then I'd worry.

They do need to switch up hours. Make them longer on weekdays to start, then we can talk about weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando