Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:28 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Their own CEO admitted it publicly in an interview, why is everyone else on this forum so ignorant about it??

Walmart CEO Acknowledges Lack of Opportunities for Workers
I'm not totally sold on this Kyle ... why is Walmart any different from any other large retailer ? I'm sure there are Walmart workers that have advanced through the ranks over time with HARD WORK. Same thing it takes at any other similar chain to make yourself stand out.

Since this is the Orlando forum, is Disney any different ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 09:03 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Because I used to be in management for a retail group who hired a lot of good people away from Walmart. We offered a five day work week, starting pay of minimum $10 an hour, bonuses and other incentives, health insurance and other benefits, rotating Saturdays and always Sundays off. It wasn't a hard sell to attract talent away from WalMart. We had a lot of people who had been promised all sorts of things by WalMart and three years later they were still getting the same wages they had been hired at and no benefits. Over half were promoted by us within a year. We were growing steadily and 90% of our managers on all levels came from within. The horror stories some of these people told me were pretty unbelievable.

what year was this?

Old 01-18-2015, 09:09 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Retail stores are ALL the same- from Macy's to Publix to walmart- same business plan- some Co's have gotten in trouble in the past for not letting women be managers etc and so forth- many have had to change their ways and yet I see them going back into their same horrible patterns now with Obama care, but don't single out wally world over any store, in any mall- they are the SAME- some get better some get worse and some go back to worse. You cannot profile. There used to literally be millionaires working at depot and that's a fact jack.

Last edited by tinytrump; 01-18-2015 at 09:18 AM..

Old 01-18-2015, 10:45 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Retail stores are ALL the same- from Macy's to Publix to walmart- same business plan- some Co's have gotten in trouble in the past for not letting women be managers etc and so forth- many have had to change their ways and yet I see them going back into their same horrible patterns now with Obama care, but don't single out wally world over any store, in any mall- they are the SAME- some get better some get worse and some go back to worse. You cannot profile. There used to literally be millionaires working at depot and that's a fact jack.
Yep. I think Walmart gets the bad rep because it's the biggest when many of those companies do the same thing.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I'm not totally sold on this Kyle ... why is Walmart any different from any other large retailer ? I'm sure there are Walmart workers that have advanced through the ranks over time with HARD WORK. Same thing it takes at any other similar chain to make yourself stand out.

Since this is the Orlando forum, is Disney any different ?
Definitely. I know a number of people at Disney who started pulling a lever to make a ride start or stocking shelves while in college and then went into internship programs and now work in management. Disney has partner programs with Valencia and UCF Rosen as well.

Disney University is all about educating and mentoring cast members to help them move up the ranks. It's actually one of the biggest corporate universities in the world. (Other big ones are McDonalds, FedEx, Dell, Ford, and Aaron's.)

Old 01-18-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
what year was this?
I left in 2009. So not so long ago.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Nope. I've worked both front and back of house for three different retailers in the past 12 years, and can tell you that they were all VERY different. One didn't pay well but had a 401K and ESOP plus some really fantastic perks if you wanted to use them. They definitely promoted from within. One paid well and had benefits, and promoted from within. The last I worked only p/t as a holiday job so I made $10 with no benefits, but if I wanted to work there f/t I'd be making about $65K without trying based on my pay and bonuses. My friend makes $80K with her pay and bonuses. The caveat is that you need a couple of certifications to work there in a position where you'll actually be able to get good bonuses.

Bottom line, there are many retailers out that which pay well and offer good working conditions. Have you heard of Wegman's? That's a good example of a top retail organization that takes care of it's employees.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:48 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Definitely. I know a number of people at Disney who started pulling a lever to make a ride start or stocking shelves while in college and then went into internship programs and now work in management. Disney has partner programs with Valencia and UCF Rosen as well.

Disney University is all about educating and mentoring cast members to help them move up the ranks. It's actually one of the biggest corporate universities in the world. (Other big ones are McDonalds, FedEx, Dell, Ford, and Aaron's.)
The key phrase is "while in college" ... I'm sure Walmart has some college educated folk that worked summers and then ended up with F/T managerial jobs after school. But the key anywhere is hard work ... if you're one of 10 at Walmart applying for one assistant managerial opening, you had better be the best. And that goes for anywhere, not just Wal-Mart.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
The key phrase is "while in college" ... I'm sure Walmart has some college educated folk that worked summers and then ended up with F/T managerial jobs after school. But the key anywhere is hard work ... if you're one of 10 at Walmart applying for one assistant managerial opening, you had better be the best. And that goes for anywhere, not just Wal-Mart.
The executive housekeeper at one of the resorts didn't go to college. She started as a housekeeper servicing rooms and worked her way up over the years. One of the executive chefs started as a dishwasher, another began their career as a prep cook after coming on from a different restaurant.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:53 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Anyone who took the "special manager" job would be a fool. There is no advantage to the employer to have an employee working under such an arrangement. You're stating that there was 25 + hours of work time per week that was not paid. I dont see grumpy dissatisfied employees at wal mart. Just normal working people doing a normal every day job and doing it well. Wal mart has been in business for over fifty years. Sure they have a large employee turn over rate because people move up and out.

Wal Mart has been built up in people's minds as demon or some sort of cult.

Wal mart has been in business for over fifty years. Sure they have a large employee turn over rate because people move up and out.

I wonder if F.W. Woolworth was thought of the same way when he opened in 1879.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando