Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:15 AM

66 posts, read 84,826 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to relocate to the Orlando area. Other than driving through on our way to the theme parks or beaches from Northern IL, we don't know much about the neighbourhoods, but we have a daughter that interned at Disney while in college and lived in Clermont at the time. We liked that the Clermont area had hills and wasn't flat as the eye could see as it is elsewhere in that area. The Clermont area seems to be where our home search has led us, but it's not easy when one isn't down there! I'm hoping some of you more knowledgeable people can help guide us.

We would like land, and I prefer a new home build, but my husband prefers used since we won't be around to watch every step of a new build. I am having a hard time trying to find subdivisions that offer an acre or more with new home builds. Does this not exist in that area? Should we be looking elsewhere?

What we do not want are tiny lots where every home looks the same.

We have two large German Shepherds that like running around in the backyard now, and love to swim (they use the pool more than we ever do up here!), so the requirements for this move are all for the dogs, of course. Are breed restrictions common with the HOAs down there?

Jobs are not an issue, and we prefer homes in the $350,000 to $400,000 range, but are flexible if it is a new home build on land and I can make the house exactly as I like it. I figure if I build it, I won't have to put more money into it after I move to fix things to my preference.

We won't be able to head down there until the end of May for a good look-around, but I am hoping to have some ideas on where to go and what to see before that point. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 08:54 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Almost all those hills are now lined with roof tops now,

but you may still be able to find something.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Osprey Pointe has the largest lots in a Clermont HOA that isn't sold out. Some might even be over an acre if you count the wooded area leading back to the lake. Each home is custom built, and no two are alike, although there is a common feel to them. It might be out of the price range to build, but I want to think there is one or two homes for sale there which might be at the very top of your budget.

Legends has one section with a handful of custom homes on lots that are half an acre but back up to the golf course so they would feel like there was more land, but I'm not sure how many are actually for sale, and I suspect they would all be above your price range.

There are a handful of homes for sale outside HOA's that would fit your requirements, but can't think of any HOA communities other than Osprey Pointe that has lots over half an acre or so--and most have a lot less.

I am a 10+ year resident of Clermont and happy to answer questions.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:21 PM

13 posts, read 14,176 times
Hi, Miskolci, my Hungarian friend! Nice to see you on here. I read these boards on a daily basis, but haven't posted since I know nothing about Orlando (yet). I loved the hilliness of Clermont too, but found it was too far from probable work for both me and my husband. Legends was my top choice there too. Although I have no experience personally, from what I have read, annerk is amazingly knowledgable about all things Clermont.
Oh, and your husband is just like mine. He wants to be there for every step of the building process and monitor things! It's killing him that we aren't going to be there for most of this house's build process. But remember, I'll be there by then and can help you out in sending pictures for you. ;-)

Old 03-23-2015, 08:55 AM

Well hello there, Ohana4! Fancy meeting you here! What an adventure we are both going on over the next few months!

Annerk, thank you for your offer of first-hand knowledge of Clermont. I am sure I will be back very soon with questions for you, but at the moment I have to go out and shovel the snow that has fallen this morning.

Oh, wait, I thought of a couple of questions - what is the most snow that you have seen in the Clermont area? I know it is rare, but I was wondering.

Also, if you have a very cold winter, does it affect the insect and arachnid population by killing them off? Or does it never get cold enough for even that?

Regarding HOA's - do you find them to be very strict? The one we live in, you can't even paint your front door unless you get approval from the HOA. No way we could park a boat or RV (not that we have one now, but we hope to in the future).

Are breed restrictions for dogs something that happens there?

I think that is it for now. Thank you!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:58 AM

I've seen tiny flurries once since I moved here--but they were in downtown Orlando and melted before they hit the ground. There have been a few times that there was light frost on a car left outside overnight, but nothing that ever needed scraping.

Cold doesn't really have an effect on bugs, it just doesn't get cold enough here. Buy a house with "Tubes in the Walls" and you won't need to worry about bugs.

Most HOA's will require approval before changing a paint color, but unless you are trying to do something whacky (like painting the door bright purple with green polka dots) the process is streamlined and easy. Of course if you are just repainting in the same color as routine maintenance, no approval is needed. Few to none will allow you to park a boat, RV, trailer, etc. unless it fits in the garage, in which case they don't care. Most people either use the garage or store at an off-site place.

I don't know of any breed restrictions, but most limit to two or three and don't allow kenneling, breeding, etc. The county has rules about dogs not being tied out, they have to be in a fenced yard or leash walked and can't be left outside all day without shelter, etc. Some HOA's have rules about the type, height, and material/color of fencing.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:07 PM

36 posts, read 33,712 times
Morrison homes has a really beautiful community that just started beautiful lots and really pretty homes check it out I THINK IT WAS CALLED HIGHLAND CANYON BEST OF LUCK

Old 03-26-2015, 09:01 AM

Thank you, bailygirl! I will go and check out that builder in a moment.

I had never heard of "tubes in the wall" until now. What an interesting concept! I will definitely be on the lookout for this option!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:02 AM

Hammock Pointe would give you the hills you want. Highland Ranch area isn't as hilly. That aside, you are only looking at 1/4 acre lots or under in those communities.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:04 AM

Best part about Tubes in the Wall is you don't have to be there or if you work from home have your workday interrupted to let the exterminator in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando