Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:53 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
Because they pay us here in sunshine! Didn't you know that!
Too much sun causes skin cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 11:01 AM

497 posts, read 1,567,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Too much sun causes skin cancer.
Not enough sun causes depression. This is our first sunny day in about a week. Guess what? It's only in the teens with a biting wind so you really don't want to go out and enjoy it either.

There isn't much difference between making $10/hour in Maine or $10/hour in Florida. Except Florida has a slightly lower cost of living in most areas. Plus more sunshine and the weather is more tolerable. Not to mention you don't have to drive on roads that are more like mine fields with the pot holes we have here. This is no lie, the other night there was 5 cars that blew their tires out on the interstate because of a monster pothole.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:08 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
There is nowhere in FL you can live off of even $15/hr and be happy. Although I see you're in Maine I'd get the **** out of there too! I hope you enjoy it down here whenever you come.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:40 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,951 times
I agree, if I lived in Maine, I would probably want to move south as well. There are just better places to move down south than the Orlando area.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 12,707 times
Default go figure

my husband is a high school drop out,and makes 55,200 a year,I didn't finish high school either and I make 32,000 a year .We also live in metro west.he is a operations manager and I am an office manager.I really don't think it's the length you stay in school as much it is common sense and where you really want to go in life

Old 02-16-2008, 02:02 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab512003 View Post
my husband is a high school drop out,and makes 55,200 a year,I didn't finish high school either and I make 32,000 a year .We also live in metro west.he is a operations manager and I am an office manager.I really don't think it's the length you stay in school as much it is common sense and where you really want to go in life
If your husband were to lose his job from being laid off, would he have trouble finding another job at the similar pay, considering he may be competing with college graduates, with similar experience, for the same job? It's just something to think about.

I had a job that is normally held by a college graduate. When I got laid off, if was nearly impossible for me to get a similar job because of the lack of a college degree. Since then, I have gone back to school to get a degree.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:11 PM

88 posts, read 264,774 times
Wink Moved the Orlando job post/pay to the back of the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Because you have an open immigration policy which causes greedy business owners to love Florida. People from V.I., Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba everywhere come to Florida. This is the fact that will never change. A business owner can hire and pay them dirt. This is all about the bottom line that is Florida.
Dreamofmonterey and King Todd,
Bravo to that blog where the two of you go neck and neck with the truth about the real deal in this disgusting place. Open immigration....that's why the BLOG GOT MOVED.......THEY DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW OR POSSIBLY TARNISH anything rubbing elbows WITH DISNEY.
Also the second reality that more people than not are living is a $7.50 an hour job ****yes, people you're seeing it right. Even with a college degree....
I'm a realist. Trying to help some people sitting on the fence about a possible move down here. My friend had a job recently in Orlando where she thought she was working for radical islamics....you know those people McCain is always talking about....all the last names were foreign. 12 hours a day, don't ask any questions...come and go by the backdoor only...stay tuned...smile, moonbeam

Old 02-19-2008, 02:45 PM

88 posts, read 264,774 times
Default Nursing jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aecp View Post
Does anyone have any idea what nursing wages are here? How about work environment for nurses such as patient to staff ratios. Would it realistic to think I could make a good living in Orlando as an RN?
aecp,
A career placement person was recently telling us that hospitals pay the lowest $14-18.00 and that's for two year nursing degrees. LPN's make $12.00 an hour after 1 year of school. Meanwhile long-term care pays the best up to $45.00 but I guess you would factor in all the variables of a 2 year nursing program vs. 4 year, experience, etc. you know the drill.
I cannot answer the staff to patient ration questions but maybe some other nurses will jump in.
Also the reason for the waiting list at the nursing schools is NOT THE DEMAND so much as they are unable to find teachers willing to take such low salaries. Not surprising....at all. Wink, moonbeam

Old 02-20-2008, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 12,707 times
[quote=bdpop;2847289]If your husband were to lose his job from being laid off, would he have trouble finding another job at the similar pay, considering he may be competing with college graduates, with similar experience, for the same job? It's just something to think about.

I really don't think so because he's a professional truck driver of 35 years class A with doubles,triples and tanker,he took this job because he's home every night,we have 13 areas in Tennessee,hopefully we can save enough money to retire there,we were both borne and raised here and believe me it's not what it use to be,but what city is?

Old 01-09-2010, 03:13 AM

67 posts, read 177,710 times
Default not many

You need to get into a high in demand training quick... many don't do phone interviews.. Security/Cna healthcare law enforecment etc are big time here in Florida...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1972 View Post
I wasn't expecting $20 an hour in FL. I know everyone says to find jobs before coming down but how could I do that? We want to move down in May; my wife will be losing her job in March and we can't stand living in my mother's basement anymore. Any advice you could give me? Will companies allow phone interviews? If so, that's great! If not, I don't have the funds just to fly down for job interviews. I wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando