Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:36 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,451 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the board - been trolling and reviewing threads in my spare time and wanted to get some input from the locals regarding pay and compensation in the Metro Orlando area as well as relate my personal experiences. I moved here from Detroit, MI back in 2005 quite simply because jobs had become so scarce up there and that was 3 years ago. I went from making 14.42 per hr to 7.50 upon my arrival here and was disgusted to say the least. i have since recovered nicely back near 40k a year but what I'd like to know is why in the hell are their so many low paying jobs here even for those who have formal education and/or tons of experience. I knew I would sacrifice something to enjoy the beach and warmth but damn this was a shocker.

Any comments and thoughts are more than welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 12:52 PM

17 posts, read 52,536 times
Hi. The ave pay here in the u.k is around $11ph, (more up in London, less further North) Take into consideration that for a 1 bed condo it is around $1200pm (out of London) and we have income tax which is around 17% + N.I, plus all state taxes etc... you do the math.
Id say 40k p/a is pretty good in comparison to your housing market (currently our mortgage alone stands at $2400 for a 3 bed mid terrace) & my hubbys basic salary is $22k)
And we dont even get the sunshine!!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:48 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
There are many reasons but some of the primary reasons are:

Florida is a right to work state. That's supposed to mean you have the right to work regardless of your membership/non-membership in a union. However, the practical implications are that an employer can essentially fire you for no reason at all. With that type of discretion, employers do not feel they have to keep up with competitive or good pay since they can always fire you at any time. Basically, hourly employees in Florida are easily replaceable so employers will not necessarily pay the premiums to keep good employees.

Florida's economy is not very diverse. It's no secret that we are very service/tourism oriented economy. As such, without as much manufacturing or intellectual product coming from Florida the median pay, and pay in general tend to be much lower than a more diverse economy. However this is changing, bio-med firms and technology firms have started to eye our state lately. The problem is, part of the reason these firms are now considering Florida is because they believe they can justify relocating here and paying their professional employees less.

Finally, we are still part of the south. Although it not as pronounced as other places, Florida developed much the same way the rest of the Southeast U.S. has. The problem is many people have relocated to Florida from other parts of the country and expect the pay scale to be competitive with where they are from. But you need to keep in mind that not long ago, Florida's economy and pay rates were more comparable to the rest of the the SE (Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, La) than the Northeast or Midwest where most new Floridians come from. Unfortunately the cost of living here has skyrocketed past our neighbors without wages keeping pace.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:57 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,804 times
You mean nobody told you the wages are paid in sunshine?

Old 01-15-2008, 02:08 PM

732 posts, read 4,157,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
You mean nobody told you the wages are paid in sunshine?
Sunshine in Florida is an advertising ploy. We get more cloudy days then Philadelphia and we don't even get winters like them. I'm not saying we get no sun, we just get a lot of clouds from the humidity. Austin Texas gets more sunshine. I know this because I've worked in Solar Panel production.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:38 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,749,176 times
One of the things that kill me is...I see jobs listed for $10/hr and REQUIRE a four year degree! Who is going to go to college for a degree and accept a job for $10/hr? I don't have a degree and make a lot more than that.

I don't know what these employers are thinking!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:42 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
Another good question: how are you going to pay back your student loan on $10/hr. When I lived in NJ, over six years ago, I made around $20/hr with no degree (and gas was $1.40 a gallon then). Now, after I finish my degree and owe over $40k in student loans, I have a $10/hr job to look forward to! I don't think so!

Old 01-16-2008, 07:46 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
One of the things that kill me is...I see jobs listed for $10/hr and REQUIRE a four year degree! Who is going to go to college for a degree and accept a job for $10/hr? I don't have a degree and make a lot more than that.

I don't know what these employers are thinking!
My thoughts exactly. It took me almost 3 years to get a fairly decent job. Another little tadbit that gets on my nerves is that they (employer's) want you to have 4 to 7 yrs of experience of such and such and then get mad at you when you say no thanks to a 10/11hr job. Give me a break. Makes no sense. Like I said earlier I expected to give up something for the sun/water but not half my salary.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:03 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,749,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
My thoughts exactly. It took me almost 3 years to get a fairly decent job. Another little tadbit that gets on my nerves is that they (employer's) want you to have 4 to 7 yrs of experience of such and such and then get mad at you when you say no thanks to a 10/11hr job. Give me a break. Makes no sense. Like I said earlier I expected to give up something for the sun/water but not half my salary.
Hey Todd...from another Todd.

You're right about that...it seems that employers make the job requirements such that NO ONE can qualify for it. I have 3.5 years of purchasing experience at UVa and almost three years at my current job and yet the ads I've seen want someone who has experience in construction or food service or retail.

I think employers are using the job title of "Buyer" pretty loosely...kind of like "Account Manager" is really nothing more than a Telemarketer.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
Employers can be picky because there are so many people down here that need jobs. It's a situation of supply and demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando