Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 05:18 PM

4 posts, read 16,216 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I moved to Orlando 3 months ago and now I am renting. I will buy a home soon but I am in doubt between Dr Phillips or Winter Park area. I work at Arnold Palmer Hospital. My concern about Dr. Phillips is the commute with the I-4 (mainly now with the construction for the next 7y). I have 2 kids 7 and 8 yo. They are in a private school now. Dr. Phillips seems to be cheaper than WP. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 05:32 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
Even in Winter Park, you'd probably end up using I-4 anyway because the hospital is on the south side of downtown. According to Google Maps, the commute time from DP is 16 minutes and Winter Park is 18 minutes.. granted, it's not a busy traffic time right now.

Both areas are really lovely. It comes down to personal preference, really. Winter Park is older and more urban with a walkable downtown, while Dr. Phillips a bit newer and more suburban. Since you're here now I'd spend time in both areas and see what you like and what homes are available in your price range.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:39 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
The 2 best areas of Orlando? (Maybe downtown on a three way tie)

Tough call. As brink said, I think the commute to AP well be the same, maybe a little easier imo from Dr Phillips.

The question is, do you want newer architecture and homes or a more established traditional feel like park ave

Old 08-13-2015, 05:51 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,627 times
Both areas are nice but Winter Park would make the most sense as it is is geographically closer to Arnold Palmer Hospital than Dr. Phillips.. In addition, if you live near a SunRail station you could even take advantage of this system and take the train from Winter Park Station to Orlando Health Station which drops of you off at the doorstep of Arnold Palmer..

Old 08-13-2015, 10:36 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baiano View Post
Hi,
I moved to Orlando 3 months ago and now I am renting. I will buy a home soon but I am in doubt between Dr Phillips or Winter Park area. I work at Arnold Palmer Hospital. My concern about Dr. Phillips is the commute with the I-4 (mainly now with the construction for the next 7y). I have 2 kids 7 and 8 yo. They are in a private school now. Dr. Phillips seems to be cheaper than WP. Thank you for your help!
It comes down to preference. They are very different so it should be easy to decide. Both have good schools, safe communities, access to grocery stores etc. I prefer Dr Phillips personally, but the commute would be better from Winter Park.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I would look at homes in both locations. You will know when it is the right one.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:53 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,169 times
It's just really tough, because DP is near Tangelo Park, WP near Lee Road and Eatonville.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
It's just really tough, because DP is near Tangelo Park, WP near Lee Road and Eatonville.
News Flash. Utopia only exists in fairy tales.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:20 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
For me it's gotta be Winter Park over DP. As other posters mentioned it has charm in droves, plus, cultural, educational, culinary, entertainment and recreational spaces galore. For some reason, it also appears that at least Dr. Phillips has gone down in school ratings in recent years, though IDK what cause is I think DP is rated as a 5, and WP rated as an 9. I think while DP wasn't bad in this regard, WP offered 9 world languages and 22 arts/ culture programs, and likely has more offerings in other areas as well. The school itself is located on the middle of an almost. 30 mile continuous bike/hike path with some of the best recreational sports fields in the area, and WP borders on the cultural/museum district of Orlando, and also has closer access to Downtown, UCF, Rollins and their offerings. DP is of course closer to the theme parks if that is a factor, however, that may also lead to more driving around town traffic depending on which section of DP you are living in, and parks/nature areas around DP are somewhat limited.Another thing MK mentioned is that you could maximize productivity during your commute, reduce stress, get exercise and save money by taking SunRail over to the hospital from Winter Park, where you wouldn't have a similar option by DP except for possibly the Sand Lake station which I don't think is as convenient to DP. Also, while WP is filled with charming older housing stock and a "neighborhood" feel, I think that not as many of the houses are "fixer uppers" per se, I think many you'd look at are well maintained. So I'd say WP all around, though I do agree with Annerk about looking both areas. Feel is important.

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 08-14-2015 at 06:36 AM..

Old 08-14-2015, 06:22 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
News Flash. Utopia only exists in fairy tales.
i know annerk...i just so want my girlfriend to feel safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando