Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 01:38 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times

Advertisements

low- less than 30k
good- 40-60k
great- 60k and higher

This is for an individual, not a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 09:29 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
According to that article:

a metro Orlando family of four must make $63,516 to enjoy a "secure, yet modest living."

$63,516 a year equates to $15,879 per person for a family of four or basically $305.37 a week which is a hourly wage of $ 7.63 a hour. That is basically $0.42 cents below the state mandated Minimum wage of $8.05!
That's why I think it is really important to support the fight for $15 minimum wage phased in over a few years.

Wages are simply too low and the corporations have been using their leverage over their workers to such an extent that people are just hanging by their threads trying to make ends meet. That's why I support Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ShC9MC9wME

Old 08-31-2015, 09:44 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
That's why I think it is really important to support the fight for $15 minimum wage phased in over a few years.

Wages are simply too low and the corporations have been using their leverage over their workers to such an extent that people are just hanging by their threads trying to make ends meet. That's why I support Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders:
You do not make any sense.

The article states that a family of four can make below the state mandated minimum wage and still live a secure yet modest lifestyle. Does this not fit your (ridiculous) political agenda, or did you just not read the article?

Old 08-31-2015, 05:10 PM

325 posts, read 255,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
You do not make any sense.

The article states that a family of four can make below the state mandated minimum wage and still live a secure yet modest lifestyle. Does this not fit your (ridiculous) political agenda, or did you just not read the article?
That's with four full time minimum wage jobs. So if the family of four is husband, wife, and two small children, then the little ones must each work 40 hours a week also to make ends meet? This is actually how things once were in America, in the early 1900's. Is that what you want to return to? I say F that. Bernie all the way, and get him the support he needs so that we never have to cheapen and destroy the lives of our children before they ever have a chance to make something of themselves. Having a pressure to earn is why you have all of these kids selling drugs. It's all the fault of selfish ignorant close-minded fools like you. Before you tell someone else to live on 8 bucks an hour, why don't you try it for a couple of years, and see how you feel about it then.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:42 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times
I heard about this cost of living calculator recently. Maybe this will be helpful for you.

Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com

Old 08-31-2015, 08:39 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,779,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Without sounding greedy i would say for Orlando, 45000 to 50000 annually is a great salary.
I would not want to even try to live on 50K a year in Orlando

Old 08-31-2015, 10:28 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleman View Post
That's with four full time minimum wage jobs. So if the family of four is husband, wife, and two small children, then the little ones must each work 40 hours a week also to make ends meet? This is actually how things once were in America, in the early 1900's. Is that what you want to return to? I say F that. Bernie all the way, and get him the support he needs so that we never have to cheapen and destroy the lives of our children before they ever have a chance to make something of themselves. Having a pressure to earn is why you have all of these kids selling drugs. It's all the fault of selfish ignorant close-minded fools like you. Before you tell someone else to live on 8 bucks an hour, why don't you try it for a couple of years, and see how you feel about it then.
Minimum-wage offensive could speed arrival of robot-powered restaurants - The Washington Post

Hard to pay people outside of what their labor is worth. $15/minimum wage would basically hurt the people who are trying to be helped

Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Minimum-wage offensive could speed arrival of robot-powered restaurants - The Washington Post

Hard to pay people outside of what their labor is worth. $15/minimum wage would basically hurt the people who are trying to be helped
I agree chopchop, we should always take care not to hurt the people we are trying to help. But that's not the case here.
Look at countries with high minimum wages.

In Denmark, the minimum wage for fast food workers is $17.30. McDonalds are doing just fine there.

Take a look at the Big Mac index here:

Interactive currency-comparison tool: The Big Mac index | The Economist

Price for Big Mac in Denmark is $5.08
Price for Big Mac in US is $4.79

Of course, the minimum wage acts as a floor. When the minimum wage increases, it makes it easier for people above minimum wage to negotiate a better wage. It improves the leverage of the workers.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:28 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleman View Post
No, I think two married people who make minimum wage with no better prospects should not have children that they can not afford.

But, I'm sure since you support Bernie, you feel people owe you a better life that you have not earned for yourself.

Minimum wage is a MINIMUM. If you are still earning minimum wage as an adult, you need to figure out where you made the poor decisions in your life, and how you are going to correct them. This may sound harsh, but it is true.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:38 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
I agree chopchop, we should always take care not to hurt the people we are trying to help. But that's not the case here.
Look at countries with high minimum wages.

In Denmark, the minimum wage for fast food workers is $17.30. McDonalds are doing just fine there.

Take a look at the Big Mac index here:

Interactive currency-comparison tool: The Big Mac index | The Economist

Price for Big Mac in Denmark is $5.08
Price for Big Mac in US is $4.79

Of course, the minimum wage acts as a floor. When the minimum wage increases, it makes it easier for people above minimum wage to negotiate a better wage. It improves the leverage of the workers.
Those countries have radically different governments and tax systems than we do. Again, from what I've read, the people who are most affected by a minimum wage hike like that are the ones who are most marginalised...minorities, teens, etc. The robot thing is very real, why pay someone $15 to take your order when a touchscreen kiosk like they use at wawa is cheaper long term?

McDonald's hires 7,000 touch-screen cashiers - CNET

Btw, denmark is changing

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...al-safety-net/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando