Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 05:45 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I do. Even with good coverage (I have Verizon) there are places without.
Exactly, and in higher elevation places (like Western NC for instance) while working the information received is sometimes not accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 10:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
There's a stretch of Turkey Lake right in Orlando near Universal that is a Verizon dead zone!

Old 10-17-2015, 10:19 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
When you do book, keep checking prices of all companies occasionally...what is $70/day today might be $35/ day next week. No charge to cancel and rebook.

As a general rule, I've found Thrifty and Dollar are usually cheapest. YMMV.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:58 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
There's a stretch of Turkey Lake right in Orlando near Universal that is a Verizon dead zone!
Maybe time to check out AT&T/cricket?

Old 10-17-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Maybe time to check out AT&T/cricket?
Nah, AT&T has worse service most places. And Cricket? Why? Just why?

Old 10-18-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Nah, AT&T has worse service most places. And Cricket? Why? Just why?
Because they are wholly owned by AT&T as of 2 years ago and run service on AT&T towers.

I switched last year and the only difference is the $50/month I save for unlimited everything on 2 lines.

My experience with cricket has been the same as AT&T. Usually have service is most place including Turkey lake

Old 10-18-2015, 07:01 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Who uses a GPS anymore when 99% of the population has a smart phone? lol
Doubt whether 99 % of the population has a smart phone. Lot of people that do probably do not know how to use it. Also unless you have unlimited data it can get expensive to use on a trip. Wifi is not available everywhere.

I use my GPS because it has all these cool options. In the mountains I love knowing the elevation for ex. Also I like the way it shows a big enough picture so I know how many lanes there will be and which lane I should be in sooner than Google does.

Also if you are using the phone as your GPS can you use it at the same time as a phone or for music ? I am still learning the options I have on mine. Last night I just realized I have a heart and stress rate monitor on it in addition to telling me I don't walk enough. LOL I am old I do not take the phone with me from room to room or out in the yard etc.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Because they are wholly owned by AT&T as of 2 years ago and run service on AT&T towers.

I switched last year and the only difference is the $50/month I save for unlimited everything on 2 lines.

My experience with cricket has been the same as AT&T. Usually have service is most place including Turkey lake
My coworkers with ATT also have no service in this particular two block area on Turkey Lake. It's just a bad cell area. We think that something at Universal impacts the service there.

Cricket has no ability to use the phone outside the USA. While I have top up SIM cards for some of the countries I visit regularly or for extended periods, I like the ability to immediately make a call when I land. I can't do that with Cricket.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:58 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Also if you are using the phone as your GPS can you use it at the same time as a phone or for music ? I am still learning the options I have on mine. Last night I just realized I have a heart and stress rate monitor on it in addition to telling me I don't walk enough. LOL I am old I do not take the phone with me from room to room or out in the yard etc.

Yes. You can be talking on speaker, have your maps going with the phone mounted, and be listening to music at the same time. At least you can do it with AT&T. I know one of their advantages over the other carriers is being able to use the phone and data services at the same time. Maybe that has changed by now with the other carriers.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
My coworkers with ATT also have no service in this particular two block area on Turkey Lake. It's just a bad cell area. We think that something at Universal impacts the service there.

Cricket has no ability to use the phone outside the USA. While I have top up SIM cards for some of the countries I visit regularly or for extended periods, I like the ability to immediately make a call when I land. I can't do that with Cricket.
It includes free mins Texting to Mexico and to Canada in the higher tier packages. Also unlimited international texting.

Surprised it wouldn't work elsewhere as it essentially the same thing as AT&T gsm but it is prepaid, rather than postpaid.

Switching to cricket got me teased at work for having the "ghetto"service but many are ignorant of the recent AT&T buyout in the last couple of years and the change in network coverage. I'm laughing all the way to the bank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando