Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:59 AM

399 posts, read 720,067 times

Advertisements

I moved from Miami to Orlando nearly 2 years ago and whenever I watched the local news I notice so many familiar faces from the Miami news stations. Were these rejects that couldn't make it in a bigger market or they just wanted to go to Orlando? I've seen familar faces throughout the years on the cable networks that used to work in Miami as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 10:30 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
The trajectory for better news talent is usually to a bigger city/market and not to a smaller one so I wouldn't think it's a voluntary move based on that, or the presumed salary reduction.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:38 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Miami is has WOW news- it is not the "afternoon- storm with showers and gusty wind" but the MEGA TERROR Storm with hail winds and tree breaking gusts coming. so maybe if you can't keep the pace up, the pretty face and the HYPE, they let you go- I do see the same Channel 7 news folks are there- although I miss Miami terribly- do not miss the news channels.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:41 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Alot of young newscasters are not full time employees of their stations, many are independent contractors who shoot small stories here and there and submit them to the new-stations and see if they will air them. I guess once they have enough exposure they look for full time gigs and probably find them here in Orlando. Other than that, I've heard the news channels don't really have a huge pay disparity, maybe some find it better to live in Orlando with cheaper housing and COL.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:47 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
They could be sharing resources with a sister station. Fox does that a lot.

If they did move to Orlando, maybe it's not a much different environment than Miami and thus not a downgrade.

Here is a list of the top 100 media markets as of April 2016. I cross referenced this with another website just to be sure.

Top 100 Media Markets Across the Nation | News Generation: Radio and TV Media Relations

Here are the Florida rankings:

11. Tampa-St. Petersburg
16. Miami-Ft.Lauderdale
19. Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne

38. West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce
47. Jacksonville
58. Mobile (AL)-Pensacola
61. Ft. Myers-Naples

Houston is number 10, Detroit is 13, and Denver is 17 for context.

It is true that the Miami metro is about twice the size of the Orlando metro. But based on media market size alone, maybe transfering from Miami to Orlando is more a lateral move than a (downward) vertical move. Tampa would be an upgrade. If the SFL media market was WBP-FTL-MIA instead of being split, it may be a different story.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:30 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Is it a reporter from Miami becoming an anchor? That would be step up and good career move even if going to a smaller market.

TV news is a changing business to say the least, it not like the days of "Anchorman". People have many more options for their information both locally and nationally

I live in Jacksonville and I have been surprised how long some of the on-air talent has remained in Jacksonville. At one point in the 1990s channel 4 in Jacksonville had the longest serving local news team, which was surprising to me for the 47th largest media market.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post

Here are the Florida rankings:

11. Tampa-St. Petersburg
16. Miami-Ft.Lauderdale
19. Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne

38. West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce
47. Jacksonville
58. Mobile (AL)-Pensacola
61. Ft. Myers-Naples

Houston is number 10, Detroit is 13, and Denver is 17 for context.

It is true that the Miami metro is about twice the size of the Orlando metro. But based on media market size alone, maybe transfering from Miami to Orlando is more a lateral move than a (downward) vertical move. Tampa would be an upgrade. If the SFL media market was WBP-FTL-MIA instead of being split, it may be a different story.
It's bizarro they split WPB from MIA-FTL considering the cohesiveness, and would argue that it's probably considered a bigger gig than #16 with ORL sitting at #19.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:40 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's bizarro they split WPB from MIA-FTL considering the cohesiveness, and would argue that it's probably considered a bigger gig than #16 with ORL sitting at #19.

I think its mainly because of how long the S Florida media market area is... It stretches from Key West to Vero Beach. And in the past it was notsolid urban area. West Palm was far enough away from Miami and isolated enough to have their own stations

Old 05-27-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I think its mainly because of how long the S Florida media market area is... It stretches from Key West to Vero Beach. And in the past it was notsolid urban area. West Palm was far enough away from Miami and isolated enough to have their own stations
LOL, that was a long time ago. I remember growing up in that area back in the 60s-70s when that was the case but would have thought they would have consolidated a bit since then there's virtually zero separation and quite the overlap in the Ft Lauderdale area.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:54 AM

3 posts, read 3,215 times
Martha Sugalski moved to Orlando for personal reasons, if I recall. She was an anchor in Miami on NBC6 with her husband, Craig Minervini who did sports. When they divorced, she moved up here. Craig now works Marlins broadcasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando