Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 05:48 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,425,127 times

Advertisements

Thanks . Haven't been to the park in years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 05:50 PM

457 posts, read 628,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Thanks . Haven't been to the park in years!
I live to serve.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:53 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,751,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I really wish people would just think things through a bit and use some common sense. It's the same reaction from some to when people here in Central Florida were attacked by black bears that pre-existed prior to the new homes built in their domain. Florida's native habitat includes all kinds of dangerous animals which beyond alligators include snakes and even panthers. Why is the expectation different here versus if one were vacationing at a resort out West in the Rockies for example? I don't recall seeing signage in outside lounging areas there telling people to beware of varying predatory threats, so why here??
Disney has the responsibility of putting up a sign that says "Warning, Alligators in Lake"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsDiXQZs_7c

Old 06-16-2016, 05:55 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,702,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClC053103 View Post
There was a prior incident- in Fort Wilderness, 30 years ago. The guy was on the news last night.

The reports are very unclear- currently saying the child was simply playing next to the water, but previous reports including relayed by the sheriff's department was that the child was in 1-2 feet of water. For a toddler, that is swimming, not wading. An eye witness said the area they were in was also dark. But I have to agree, the sign says No Swimming, there shouldn't be anyone in the water and there shouldn't need to be an explanation as to why.

In Florida, Alligators can appear anywhere. I saw a video on the news last week of an alligator in a cross walk in a town. There would need to a be an alligator danger sign well, anywhere within a quarter mile of water.

I don't think blame should be put on either party. It was a tragic accident.
I am near a golf course and they are there and no signs. Golfers still golf- I have seen them crossing the street to go to the other side of the course- I have seen at times people diving for lost golf balls not a good idea to me

Last edited by maggiekate; 06-16-2016 at 06:06 PM..

Old 06-16-2016, 06:30 PM

Lane Graves family and the State of Florida, need to come together and enact a new Florida Statutes on private property owners who have a lake(s) or a body of water, with alligators that allow visitors to visit that said property. The Statute, should say that private property owners need to put up a sufficient amount of signs warning the public of alligator activity.

It is the right thing to do.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Lane Graves family and the State of Florida, need to come together and enact a new Florida Statutes on private property owners who have a lake(s) or a body of water, with alligators that allow visitors to visit that said property. The Statute, should say that private property owners need to put up a sufficient amount of signs warning the public of alligator activity.

It is the right thing to do.
It shouldn't require a law, but if that is what it takes...

They also have to make sure they can ALL be dealt with, not just the ones that get really big. That's ridiculous.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:21 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,425,127 times
I agree. It's just asking for trouble. Isn't moving them when young better for them? I thought 4 or 5 feet was the "predator cutoff" , meaning that their only predator is man at that size.

I realize that if smaller they can be prey to other gators, and maybe it's better to leave them with the threats they already know???

Moving them into more remote areas before they can become a problem??

Old 06-16-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I agree. It's just asking for trouble. Isn't moving them when young better for them? I thought 4 or 5 feet was the "predator cutoff" , meaning that their only predator is man at that size.

I realize that if smaller they can be prey to other gators, and maybe it's better to leave them with the threats they already know???

Moving them into more remote areas before they can become a problem??
Killing is probably safest. I'd kill them.

(And I don't care if the animal rights people don't like it, so don't cry to me about the poor baby-eating alligators losing their predator lives, animal rights people.)

Old 06-16-2016, 07:35 PM

Maybe Disney should drain the entire Lagoon and rebuild it, like a enormous swimming pool.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:40 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Maybe Disney should drain the entire Lagoon and rebuild it, like a enormous swimming pool.
Plenty of gators in people's pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando