Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 01:36 PM

162 posts, read 149,508 times

Advertisements

I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and help me out a little here.

I am looking to start grad school either in the Fall or Spring of this year 2017/2018 (UCF has a later application deadline than other schools) . I am looking to get into urban planning or public administration. I looked at a number of schools across the country, but I am familiar with Florida versus most states other than my home state, and Florida is like my second home. Last April I actually met with the chair of public administration at UCF and met with several grad students, too. I went to a lecture series downtown, and got to meet other grad students who went on to get various jobs in Central Florida. I really enjoyed meeting the faculty and students, and it was a program that I could really see myself being a part of. The whole point to actually going down there was I wanted to be a face to an email, and not just some random email.

I know Orlando fairly well. I have family all over the state, and actually went to school in Gainesville for about two years. At this point I have questions based not only on where to live, but registering my vehicle and car insurance, plus various other must haves. So this is my breakdown:

-I am looking for a studio apartment, nothing more than that. It doesn't have to have granite and stainless steel, but I also don't want something too terribly old. I am trying to keep rent between $650-800 a month. Again, just looking for a small studio. I have looked at and really liked Carlton Arms of Winter Park. Any experiences with that place? I drove through it in February, seemed quiet and nice, and close to downtown Winter Park, Sunrail, and a doable commute to downtown Orlando. It's close to the bike trail, groceries, and I drove back and forth between the apartment and UCF's campus just to get a feel of the drive at different times of day including rush hour. I know a lot of places have waiting lists, and I am willing to get myself on to some of those waiting lists, but I would like to hear from locals not only about the places themselves, but the locations as well. I am not looking for roommates. Did that my freshmen and sophomore years, and I am over that scene. Any other suggestions in my price range for a studio or one bedroom if possible? Location I would like equidistant to UCF and downtown Orlando.

-Car insurance... how crazy is it? I am planning on finishing up grad school and staying in the Orlando area. I would like to get my car registered in Florida, get a Florida plate, etc. Could anyone give me a cost breakdown of what it will be to register my car and get the plate? Anything else I need to know about getting my car ready for Florida? I had my driver's license when I last lived down there, but they cut it up at the DMV when I moved back North. Car was in a parent's name last time I lived down there, so car insurance and registration was never an issue then.

-I am a gay male in my 20s and I know Orlando has a pretty good gay scene. One of my concerns, because I am planning to make Orlando my home and not just a place to go to school, is finding a good family doctor who is gay-friendly. Any suggestions if you know of any?

-Sunpass. How often do you use it? Is it a necessity? I know how they work, I know Orlando is tolled like crazy, but do you find it easier to just take the busier city streets versus getting on the toll roads? I know you get a discount for using them, but with how many tolls, I have a feeling they will add up fairly quickly in a month.

-Government. I currently work for a county government up North, and this is something I would like to continue in Orlando (hence public administration for grad school). There have been some positions available in almost exactly what I do now in Winter Park, the City of Orlando, and I have considered working for Orange County. Any one work for any government agencies, Orange County, or municipalities in the area? What was/is it like if you don't mind me asking? I would really just like to get my foot in the door.

Orlando is growing quickly. I know a lot of people view it as nothing but chains, too expensive for the wages, etc, but I truly see a city that is becoming more than just a family-friendly destination for theme/water parks and Disney. I know the architecture can be bland, and the area sprawls (most of America really), but again, I see promise in Orlando, and a city that can really be something special in the coming years on the urban front.

Any responses would be appreciated. If I think of anything else, I will ask it. If someone brings something up that warrants further questions for me to help answer anything please let me know.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 05:24 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and help me out a little here.

I am looking to start grad school either in the Fall or Spring of this year 2017/2018 (UCF has a later application deadline than other schools) . I am looking to get into urban planning or public administration. I looked at a number of schools across the country, but I am familiar with Florida versus most states other than my home state, and Florida is like my second home. Last April I actually met with the chair of public administration at UCF and met with several grad students, too. I went to a lecture series downtown, and got to meet other grad students who went on to get various jobs in Central Florida. I really enjoyed meeting the faculty and students, and it was a program that I could really see myself being a part of. The whole point to actually going down there was I wanted to be a face to an email, and not just some random email.

I know Orlando fairly well. I have family all over the state, and actually went to school in Gainesville for about two years. At this point I have questions based not only on where to live, but registering my vehicle and car insurance, plus various other must haves. So this is my breakdown:

-I am looking for a studio apartment, nothing more than that. It doesn't have to have granite and stainless steel, but I also don't want something too terribly old. I am trying to keep rent between $650-800 a month. Again, just looking for a small studio. I have looked at and really liked Carlton Arms of Winter Park. Any experiences with that place? I drove through it in February, seemed quiet and nice, and close to downtown Winter Park, Sunrail, and a doable commute to downtown Orlando. It's close to the bike trail, groceries, and I drove back and forth between the apartment and UCF's campus just to get a feel of the drive at different times of day including rush hour. I know a lot of places have waiting lists, and I am willing to get myself on to some of those waiting lists, but I would like to hear from locals not only about the places themselves, but the locations as well. I am not looking for roommates. Did that my freshmen and sophomore years, and I am over that scene. Any other suggestions in my price range for a studio or one bedroom if possible? Location I would like equidistant to UCF and downtown Orlando.

-Car insurance... how crazy is it? I am planning on finishing up grad school and staying in the Orlando area. I would like to get my car registered in Florida, get a Florida plate, etc. Could anyone give me a cost breakdown of what it will be to register my car and get the plate? Anything else I need to know about getting my car ready for Florida? I had my driver's license when I last lived down there, but they cut it up at the DMV when I moved back North. Car was in a parent's name last time I lived down there, so car insurance and registration was never an issue then.

-I am a gay male in my 20s and I know Orlando has a pretty good gay scene. One of my concerns, because I am planning to make Orlando my home and not just a place to go to school, is finding a good family doctor who is gay-friendly. Any suggestions if you know of any?

-Sunpass. How often do you use it? Is it a necessity? I know how they work, I know Orlando is tolled like crazy, but do you find it easier to just take the busier city streets versus getting on the toll roads? I know you get a discount for using them, but with how many tolls, I have a feeling they will add up fairly quickly in a month.

-Government. I currently work for a county government up North, and this is something I would like to continue in Orlando (hence public administration for grad school). There have been some positions available in almost exactly what I do now in Winter Park, the City of Orlando, and I have considered working for Orange County. Any one work for any government agencies, Orange County, or municipalities in the area? What was/is it like if you don't mind me asking? I would really just like to get my foot in the door.

Orlando is growing quickly. I know a lot of people view it as nothing but chains, too expensive for the wages, etc, but I truly see a city that is becoming more than just a family-friendly destination for theme/water parks and Disney. I know the architecture can be bland, and the area sprawls (most of America really), but again, I see promise in Orlando, and a city that can really be something special in the coming years on the urban front.

Any responses would be appreciated. If I think of anything else, I will ask it. If someone brings something up that warrants further questions for me to help answer anything please let me know.

Thank you!
Area around waterford lakes is equidistant to UCF and downtown. You can usually rent someone's studio in-home for that rent, but as far as a whole unit, studios are rare in a lot of places here and a 1BR might cost a bit more than that.

Car registration for the first time will be 300-400 dollars. Insurance ranges on a lot. Probably 50-100 a month.

Gay 'scene' is quite on the decline, but whatever a 'gay friendly' doctor is, the odds are more likely 80% of the doctors are. If this is significantly regarding sexual health/HIV there are some clinics in the area to help provide some of those services.

Apply early and often for Gov't positions. Decent jobs here are often filled before they are posted.

Orlando is certainly more than a tourist destination, but isn't an epic city on the urban front of America- nor is that a reality in the near future. Just a facade of one. It can be a wonderful place to live and work- but if you're seeking Urban living, you might find Atlanta or Miami to be moreso fitting.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:22 AM

162 posts, read 149,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Area around waterford lakes is equidistant to UCF and downtown. You can usually rent someone's studio in-home for that rent, but as far as a whole unit, studios are rare in a lot of places here and a 1BR might cost a bit more than that.

Car registration for the first time will be 300-400 dollars. Insurance ranges on a lot. Probably 50-100 a month.

Gay 'scene' is quite on the decline, but whatever a 'gay friendly' doctor is, the odds are more likely 80% of the doctors are. If this is significantly regarding sexual health/HIV there are some clinics in the area to help provide some of those services.

Apply early and often for Gov't positions. Decent jobs here are often filled before they are posted.

Orlando is certainly more than a tourist destination, but isn't an epic city on the urban front of America- nor is that a reality in the near future. Just a facade of one. It can be a wonderful place to live and work- but if you're seeking Urban living, you might find Atlanta or Miami to be moreso fitting.
Thank you for the reply. Sorry it has been a while since I last posted. I need to make it an effort to post here more often. I have been a longtime lurker for years, but with this planned move, I would like to get as much info as I can.

I have looked at the Waterford Lakes area as well. There are some places there that interest me. I like its proximity to the university, but there was something about that area that wasn't as appealing to me as the area around Carlton Arms near the intersection of Aloma and Semoran. I think I just like the character of Winter Park, being near the bike trail and the parks that way as well. But I have not explored Waterford Lakes as much as Winter Park. Are there any apartments that you would suggest in that area?

What insurance companies have you found to have the best rates in Central Florida? I plan to bundle car and renter's in one.

I think for the most part Orlando is a gay-friendly city, but I wasn't sure if there were any personal experiences about how it's faring compared to other cities, especially in the South. Regarding the doctor. I just want a doctor who is comfortable dealing with gay patients. Nothing dealing with HIV, just a doctor who doesn't feel out of place answering questions regarding the LGBT community. It's just as important for your doctor to feel comfortable around their patients as the patient is with their doctor.

I really have no interest in Miami, but Atlanta has crossed my mind. I like the direction Orlando is heading in, and it's also important to go to grad school and be part of a program that fits you, and I believe UCF's does that for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando