Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 06:34 AM

789 posts, read 703,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
The medallion system doesn't apply to Orlando.

Regarding Uber, I heard that they'll soon enable tipping through the app. That's a win for riders because the previous system was not designed to keep top notch drivers. Too many people stiffed the drivers and that job is 100% not worth it without tips.

So together this is great news for Orlando - cheaper airport pickups and better service for all.
Patently false based on the demand and number of Uber drivers. Also, if tipping were responsible for good taxi service that would mean traditional taxis would provide the best service. One of the more attractive things about Uber to users was the fact that it was one price. I suspect over time little changes like this will continue and the experience will go from a great one to more like a traditional taxi service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 07:06 PM

834 posts, read 529,103 times
Sounds like you just enjoy stiffing drivers who are already earning below minimum wage.....server minimum wage.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you just enjoy stiffing drivers who are already earning below minimum wage.....server minimum wage.
Sounds like you don't understand a free market.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:05 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
I hve more than 4 friends who do Uber and they are doing fine as is. It's important for people to realize every job isnt meant to pay 6 figures. Uber started out for average people to make some side money when not at their normal jobs.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I hve more than 4 friends who do Uber and they are doing fine as is. It's important for people to realize every job isnt meant to pay 6 figures. Uber started out for average people to make some side money when not at their normal jobs.
Correct. No one has a gun to your friends' heads telling them to drive for Uber. They choose knowing the payoff. If the payoff is too low, they can choose to leave anytime they want or if it is good, they can add hours. But we will always have the contingent in this country that feels entitled to something, especially to stuff other people have worked for bc of some warped view of "fairness".

Old 07-11-2017, 01:52 PM

834 posts, read 529,103 times
Do you feel the same way about restaurant servers? They too made the choice to work for a few dollars per hour plus tips.

BMW guy, I assure you, your friends have not factored in car depreciation when calculating their income. If they're full-time drivers the new tipping feature will be the only thing putting them over minimum wage.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Do you feel the same way about restaurant servers? They too made the choice to work for a few dollars per hour plus tips.

BMW guy, I assure you, your friends have not factored in car depreciation when calculating their income. If they're full-time drivers the new tipping feature will be the only thing putting them over minimum wage.
Servers don't keep the money customers paid for the food, they only get a hourly wage plus tips. Uber drivers keep most of the ride fare. See the difference.

Once again, Uber started out as side income... that's one of the reasons why it is a pleasant alternative to the traditional taxi because it is much more affordable and also gave the average joe a way to make a little side income. I think some drivers don't seem to realize every business has operating costs, for Uber its car mileage, welcome to the real world, nobody is forcing you to do it. Once again, it's a side job, most drivers didn't create a official company, they don't have commercial auto insurance... hence more reasons why Uber should be a much cheaper alternative.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:34 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,084,866 times
The Uber app does allow to build in a tip. I was going to use it in Tampa but realized that it won't do us any good since we need a car seat for our 2 year old. Carrying that around didn't seem practical from Uber to Uber.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
The Uber app does allow to build in a tip. I was going to use it in Tampa but realized that it won't do us any good since we need a car seat for our 2 year old. Carrying that around didn't seem practical from Uber to Uber.
You sure it was Uber and not Lyft? I havent seen a tip option yet for Uber but Lyft has had it for awhile.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:14 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:

Depends on the car I would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando