Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 04:39 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,651 times

Advertisements

WOULD SOMEBODY PLEASE, make me understand why there are so many racial attacks on this forum against HISPANICS, specifically, PUERTO RICANS when ORLANDO, is composed of almost 51% white, 27% american negro, and 17% hispanics, and little of the OTHER, yet, this group is the only one mentioned. I just returned home from the Orlando/Disney area and watched the news every night. What I saw was crime being committed by the american negro population, and whites, and very few with Hispanics surnames. Practically everywhere I visited I came across Hispanics working, and who own their own homes. Many of them seem to have arrived from NYC, and are employed. So what is the problem? Or is it that one particular group is being scapegoated because they do not know how to defend themselves? Please state your opinion. Thanks,

Old 03-12-2008, 04:45 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
It's the same thing about Broward. Whites dominate and blacks are the largest minority, yet everyone is saying how Spanish is the first language and how it's 100% Hispanic third world refugees blah blah blah. And on top of that, the class of Hispanics down here is very high, in fact higher than the general population and they tend to perform on par with non-Hispanic whites in school test scores/etc.

In Orlando they have a lot of "Bronx" type Hispanics and lower income ones but A. there is nothing wrong with most of them, rough around the edges doesn't indicate a bad person and B. Everyone needs a scapegoat for Orlando's and Florida's much, much larger problems that have nothing to do with the origin of people. Yes there are quite a few low class (as in personally, not in economic background) Hispanics around Orlando that ruin it for the majority, but most of them, like you an I, are just people trying to get by in one way or another.

And on top of that, Hispanic is not even a race. It's a nationality. Some "Hispanics" are whiter than me. I know an supposedly "Hispanic" guy who's black and Chinese just because he is from Peru and speaks Spanish. Most Hispanics in the US come from a mixed Native-American/European background. Puerto Ricans come from all sorts of backgrounds. And on top of that, like it or not, PUERTO RICO IS A COMMONWEALTH OF THE US, AND ENGLISH IS TAUGHT IN THEIR SCHOOL SYSTEM, so it's not like they KNOW NO ENGLISH OR REFUSE TO LEARN IT, BECAUSE THEY ALREADY KNOW IT, and what right do we have to tell THEM what language THEY speak. Don't we have freedom of speech in this country?

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-12-2008 at 04:54 PM..

Old 03-12-2008, 06:00 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,150,500 times
Some people on this forum are very threatened by things and negative in general.
I do not see this as being true at all in Orlando either. I work with people of various ethnicities and throughout my daily interactions I do not have to speak Spanish. I want to learn it to better myself, but not because I need to in order to live in Orlando.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:06 PM

561 posts, read 1,923,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
WOULD SOMEBODY PLEASE, make me understand why there are so many racial attacks on this forum against HISPANICS, specifically, PUERTO RICANS when ORLANDO, is composed of almost 51% white, 27% american negro, and 17% hispanics, and little of the OTHER, yet, this group is the only one mentioned. I just returned home from the Orlando/Disney area and watched the news every night. What I saw was crime being committed by the american negro population, and whites, and very few with Hispanics surnames. Practically everywhere I visited I came across Hispanics working, and who own their own homes. Many of them seem to have arrived from NYC, and are employed. So what is the problem? Or is it that one particular group is being scapegoated because they do not know how to defend themselves? Please state your opinion. Thanks,
I watch the news every night as well (both orlando and tampa), i see more crime reports headlining blacks and hispanics than whites. Especially violent crime.

While those statistics may read 17% hispanic, I don't believe that to be accurate because it does not account for the illegal undocumented hispanics.

I think the language barrier may also have somthing to do with why people are more vocal about spanish people on the forum.

The truth is that the percentage of blacks and hispanics in prison when compared to their total population census in this country, is at a higher ratio than white non hispanics (who still make up the majority of this country).

Census: More blacks, Latinos live in cells than in dorms - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/27/census.prisons.ap/ - broken link)

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,857 times
Give a once little ol' town called Deltona a visit...

Old 03-13-2008, 10:45 AM

222 posts, read 691,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
It's the same thing about Broward. Whites dominate and blacks are the largest minority, yet everyone is saying how Spanish is the first language and how it's 100% Hispanic third world refugees blah blah blah. And on top of that, the class of Hispanics down here is very high, in fact higher than the general population and they tend to perform on par with non-Hispanic whites in school test scores/etc.

In Orlando they have a lot of "Bronx" type Hispanics and lower income ones but A. there is nothing wrong with most of them, rough around the edges doesn't indicate a bad person and B. Everyone needs a scapegoat for Orlando's and Florida's much, much larger problems that have nothing to do with the origin of people. Yes there are quite a few low class (as in personally, not in economic background) Hispanics around Orlando that ruin it for the majority, but most of them, like you an I, are just people trying to get by in one way or another.

And on top of that, Hispanic is not even a race. It's a nationality. Some "Hispanics" are whiter than me. I know an supposedly "Hispanic" guy who's black and Chinese just because he is from Peru and speaks Spanish. Most Hispanics in the US come from a mixed Native-American/European background. Puerto Ricans come from all sorts of backgrounds. And on top of that, like it or not, PUERTO RICO IS A COMMONWEALTH OF THE US, AND ENGLISH IS TAUGHT IN THEIR SCHOOL SYSTEM, so it's not like they KNOW NO ENGLISH OR REFUSE TO LEARN IT, BECAUSE THEY ALREADY KNOW IT, and what right do we have to tell THEM what language THEY speak. Don't we have freedom of speech in this country?

So because he is black and Chinese and comes from Peru, he can't be spanish? We really need to learn history. Oh that's right no slave ships came to Latin America. You are pure Spaniards

Old 03-13-2008, 02:07 PM

20 posts, read 72,298 times
This is not a serious post is it? I am an African American, and I am in no way a favorite for anything that's racist. I think you may be forgetting that the local news is usually pretty biased towards minority’s period. The news has a history of putting Blacks on spotlights more than anything else. If you want the true story read the crime logs. There's a lot of White crime in communities such as hate crimes/Drugs and petty theft. Majority of the Black crime is near Downtown, and the profile for car theft is usually Hispanic. Crime is crime and it's horrible regardless of whoever is making the offense. The news will NEVER be able to cover it all, and you will always have people that will think its one specific race more than the other. Don't let it bother you and just know that no matter where you live, you will have crime.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:40 PM

91 posts, read 496,196 times
2006 US census
Orange County- 50.2% White
24.3% Hispanic
21.% African American
4.5% other races

Orlando- 61.3% White
20.2% Hispanic
15.8% African American
2.9% other races

As far as the crime it's everybody. I think it's all races. Usually but not always certain races do certain crimes. It's got to where it's younger people too. They don't care about who they steal from or hurt. If it was somebody in their family that something happened to they wouldn't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: