Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 12:47 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,091,911 times

Advertisements

So at least you guys started with something. You are ahead of Tampa, or will you say we have a better highway system. We got a stupid commuter ferry from Downtown Tampa to Downtown St.Pete and just a trolley that serves only Tourist through Ybor. This is why I moved 3 ish miles from Downtown. You can't depend on Florida cities public transportation. Miami's commuter rail works if you going from Miami to West Palm per say. But you better hope its not an hour off schedule. The politicians want you to buy more cars and sit in a parking lot till they can figure it out 30 plus years from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 01:01 PM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
So at least you guys started with something. You are ahead of Tampa, or will you say we have a better highway system. We got a stupid commuter ferry from Downtown Tampa to Downtown St.Pete and just a trolley that serves only Tourist through Ybor. This is why I moved 3 ish miles from Downtown. You can't depend on Florida cities public transportation. Miami's commuter rail works if you going from Miami to West Palm per say. But you better hope its not an hour off schedule. The politicians want you to buy more cars and sit in a parking lot till they can figure it out 30 plus years from now.
Well, you do have a MUCH better highway system. But I agree. At least it's a start.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 548 times
I think the only reason Orlando has a SunRail is because it would be embarrassing not to have some form of transportation. I also think the only reason Orlando has a bus service is because it would be embarrassing not to have one.

Their schedules and frequency were clearly not designed to help people get around.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:26 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarekorlando View Post
I think the only reason Orlando has a SunRail is because it would be embarrassing not to have some form of transportation. I also think the only reason Orlando has a bus service is because it would be embarrassing not to have one.

Their schedules and frequency were clearly not designed to help people get around.
I think there is some truth to that as there clearly wasn't a lot of thought put into alternative transportation modes which could have proven more usable for those who really need help getting to/from work.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think there is some truth to that as there clearly wasn't a lot of thought put into alternative transportation modes which could have proven more usable for those who really need help getting to/from work.
I agree. If I had a bus line close by with a schedule that coordinated properly with the train, I'd be all for it. As of now, I have to drive a distance to the train station, which defeats the purpose for those who simply do not want to drive or don't have cars. For me, I use it merely to avoid traffic getting into and out of downtown... And parking hassles.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:55 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,339,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
. For me, I use it merely to avoid traffic getting into and out of downtown... And parking hassles.
That's a reasonable use of it....pretty much why people use public transit in larger cities

Old 10-16-2017, 01:44 PM

143 posts, read 117,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Say 25% didn't pay for tickets, the cost of any ticket inspectors would far exceed the dollar amount lost from fare evaders. CalTrain operates on a pay-then-spot check tickets model. If the rider base became large enough they could monitor this, as of now it's a non-issue.

SunRail only supports the business district, which is not where the majority of Orlando works.
It is effective at getting people into the west portion of Downtown Orlando during business hours. As a side product it does get people from Orlando into the northern suburbs like Maitland which actually house more business activity than Downtown Orlando itself.

SunRail was not meant to be successful. It was a point-of-pride project made at a time where federal funding was readily available to create worthless railroads as an economic stimulus. It would see more use if it switched to nights and weekends RATHER than commuter hours, but that was not the clause of the funding given to SunRail.

SunRail has potential in the future as lifeline to Downtown Orlando as the city grows and the suburbs swell. This however is literally a reality that may not take place for 25+ years, with the exception of Orlando getting some significant A list corporate Headquarters in the downtown region. This would only be met with more tax incentives, as currently the largest businesses operate in much cheaper and accessible corporate parks.

In 2020 all residents of Orange County will likely be addressed a new tax (either through property taxes, sales taxes, or new CFX tolls) to continue to subsidize the failing railroad which produces more traffic than it alleviates. It is rare and almost unheard of for residents to reject such funding and shut the thing down completely.

So in short, the people who love SunRail love it because they're an absolute minority who live and work within close proximity to two stations. They also love it, because their 2 dollar trip is met with an 8 dollar subsidy by the Fed/State. Those who cry to support more SunRail service haven't yet explained why Saturday service was still tanking money and the city is underhandedly continuing to funnel tax dollars to try to kickstart this bad idea.

Orlando was not designed with public transit in mind. Not to be terribly pessimistic, but I don't think our sprawl is fixable. We will just have multiple business centers rather than a CBD like transit oriented cities. Sadly, the current administration is ignoring this, and going for a system doomed to fail in 2020
I only rode it once. Wife and I took a day off work and rode it from Debary to the end and back, getting off in Winter Park for lunch on Park Avenue and a visit to the museum. It was very nice. However, you are correct - if you can't easily get to your destination after leaving the train, what good is it? And, the unending sprawl that is Orlando metro is unfixable, in my opinion. Why anyone would want to move here is beyond me.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:50 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,339,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeindeland View Post
. Why anyone would want to move here is beyond me.
Disney world!

Seriously, there are nice pockets,, it just sucks when you have to get from one end of the metro area to the other, esp on a Friday afternoon

Old 10-16-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Disney world!

Seriously, there are nice pockets,, it just sucks when you have to get from one end of the metro area to the other, esp on a Friday afternoon
Or Saturday, or Sunday. I4 on a Saturday at 3pm... Always gridlocked both directions. Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando