Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:57 AM

617 posts, read 833,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
So what's the problem? This is a free country, we can move wherever we want. Most will fly to wherever they have friends or family. I highly doubt the majority are just flying with a tent in their bag.
And most of their families and friends are most likely already here in Orlando considering the large PR population Orlando already has. Why wouldn't they come to Orlando, either temporarily or permanently? PR's economy and crime are already terrible, and many have probably wanted to leave for awhile. Sometimes a bad natural disaster like this is the last straw for a lot of people.

I could definitely see a larger exodus of PR's population coming to Orlando. The PR pop. here in Orlando is already large and established, climate and architecture is similar, Spanish is widely spoken here. Why would they go to Jax or Tampa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 AM

368 posts, read 454,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
And most of their families and friends are most likely already here in Orlando considering the large PR population Orlando already has. Why wouldn't they come to Orlando, either temporarily or permanently? PR's economy and crime are already terrible, and many have probably wanted to leave for awhile. Sometimes a bad natural disaster like this is the last straw for a lot of people.

I could definitely see a larger exodus of PR's population coming to Orlando. The PR pop. here in Orlando is already large and established, climate and architecture is similar, Spanish is widely spoken here. Why would they go to Jax or Tampa?
Jacksonville & Tampa also have large PR population. They are widespread thru most of Florida, and they all not going to Florida (refer to my previous post)

Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post

You're missing the point...

The OP seems to think 100,000 PR are moving to orlando homeless and wondering how the shelters are going to handle them all. What i'm saying is 1) we are a free country so nobody tells anyone where they can or cant move to 2) most will move to areas where they have friends and family so let's say 100% move to orlando, most stay with friends and family and not create tent cities in parks.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:48 PM

Highly highly doubt most would go to the Orlando metro area tho. I dont even think half or even one-third would go to Orlando. Orlando is NOT the only city recieving large numbers of Puerto Ricans, it was recieving more than others, but other cities were/are also recieving large amounts. And after this hurricane, I doubt Florida will be as popular as it once was among Puerto Ricans.

Of people moving from PR to the mainland, from the time after the 2017 Hurricane Maria until the 2020 US Census, Orlando would see 30% of those migrants, at the most. Mark my words.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:40 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Highly highly doubt most would go to the Orlando metro area tho. I dont even think half or even one-third would go to Orlando. Orlando is NOT the only city recieving large numbers of Puerto Ricans, it was recieving more than others, but other cities were/are also recieving large amounts. And after this hurricane, I doubt Florida will be as popular as it once was among Puerto Ricans.

Of people moving from PR to the mainland, from the time after the 2017 Hurricane Maria until the 2020 US Census, Orlando would see 30% of those migrants, at the most. Mark my words.
Family already there to stay with while getting on feet, and a low wage tourism industry makes Orlando the most logical choice for relocation. And why would a hurricane in PR make inland Florida less attractive than it has been for over a decade?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Family already there to stay with while getting on feet, and a low wage tourism industry makes Orlando the most logical choice for relocation. And why would a hurricane in PR make inland Florida less attractive than it has been for over a decade?
It doesnt matter how inland Orlando is, Florida is a flat narrow peninsula ..and its not the most logical destination. Theres more Puerto Ricans in the Northeast. Cities like Philadelphia & New York are more logical destinations.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:59 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
It doesnt matter how inland Orlando is, Florida is a flat narrow peninsula ..and its not the most logical destination. Theres more Puerto Ricans in the Northeast. Cities like Philadelphia & New York are more logical destinations.
Ok first off I feel like you have an unrealistic view on the actual threat hurricanes pose in Orlando, and secondly, Orlando MSA is almost 13% PR and has a larger volume of PR than much larger Philly. Most folks are gonna go where they have opportunity, Orlando and Florida overall will continue to be at the top of that list. So will NYC...

Old 09-28-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Ok first off I feel like you have an unrealistic view on the actual threat hurricanes pose in Orlando, and secondly, Orlando MSA is almost 13% PR and has a larger volume of PR than much larger Philly. Most folks are gonna go where they have opportunity, Orlando and Florida overall will continue to be at the top of that list. So will NYC...
Im NOT saying Orlando will no longer be popular among Puerto Ricans. Because it will definetly still be very popular and will remain among the top destinations, just not as popular as it was before the hurricane. I think some other cities may now top Orlando in popularity, Philly being one of them. Before the hurricane, Philly had the 2nd fastest growing PR population after Orlando, its defiently been more popular than NYC for quite some time. The PR population in NY is actually decreasing. Also I think other cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Norfolk, DC, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, & Boston will get quite alot as well. As well as NYC & Florida cities like Orlando, Miami, Tampa, & Jacksonville. But Philly (which was 2nd in popularity before the hurricane) MAY, i dont know for sure, replace Orlando in popularity. Not by much tho.

Also the Orlando metro is only 13% PR becuz its a smaller metro, but the Philly metro has pratically the same amount of Puerto Ricans, its just a larger metropolitan area in total population so the percentage will be less.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:02 AM

I think Florida will remain the too choice because it's nearby, the climate is similar, cost of living is low compared to New York, Philly, DC.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjkj View Post
Because it will cause an incredible strain on Orlando systems. Even if they move in with relatives who are already here. Unknown people moving into rental apartments, without permission. Packing too many people into neighborhoods and apartments, too many cars in the neighborhood. Not enough jobs. And the driving habits are VERY different in Puerto Rico from here.

I agree with what yoyoyoyo said. This isn't going to end well with mass numbers moving here all at once with no plan.
Ehh I moved from San Francisco so I dont see Orlando being anywhere close to cramped with people... Orlando could use more density. It's like when my gf's brother came to visit he kept calling Orlando the "countryside" lol while that is a big exaggeration imo, Orlando metro does have a ton of land still available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando