Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:42 AM

874 posts, read 3,679,953 times

Advertisements

I moved to Orlando about 3 weeks ago. My fiance was offered a great position/opportunity within his company so we moved over 1000 miles from Jersey to become Floridians. Let me tell you, not a day goes by that I'm not worried about seeing a snake..the lizards freak me out as is..but my fear of snakes has totally made my transition here a horrible one. I barely ever leave my home. We live in a beautiful community, Hunters Creek..the Capris with pool, fitness center, volleyball court..etc..and I refuse to leave the home..unecessarily. Not that I feel all that safe in my house..every time, I enter a room, I'm looking all over the ceilings, the floors..this whole snake thing has totally over come me. I knew that I had a fear of snakes all my life but I didnt realize how bad it is now that I'm here in Snakeville! Oh Lord..does any one have any word of wisdom..maybe, perhaps I won't see one? What are my chances?? Its so bad, that I literally run to my car and as I get in, I get bumps and bruises all the time. My fear is that one is underneath my car. The other day, I spoke to one of the workers that was mowing the lawn and he said that he's been working in the Capris for about a year and has never seen one. I've also spoken to the Maintenance supervisor and he says, I might see a black or green garden snake but they usually come out early in the morning and the location that I'm in, which is the front of the complex, I just might not see any.

Please shed some light..do I need to leave my fiance and move back to Jersey or will I be just fine.... My head is killing me as I type this!! HELP! sigh....

Old 03-31-2008, 06:09 AM

69 posts, read 83,987 times
Get over it!!!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:17 AM

Great advice..and very mature!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:28 AM

By the way...i obviously would never leave my fiance here..that was a jokey joke. I'm just very fearful.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:30 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,247 times
Wear boots when working outdoors or walking in grass. Leather boots. It'll never be a problem.

I haven't seen a snake in 8 years, but you have to go looking for them for the most part. Most of the snakes are harmless. Stay away from the water and you'll generally be OK.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the advice. I hope to God, I never encounter one!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:46 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
You can let your fear ruin your life .. Snakes in a subdivision are not that common. A snake coming in your house wouldn't happen unless maybe you leave your doors open with no screen door.

Get a cat, they are great lizard hunters and also will go after a snake if they see one.

I lived in FL 30 years and NEVER saw a snake in my yard or house.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:55 AM

You are absolutely right about the fear ruining my life. The paranoia is soo deep, I just didnt realize how bad it was. I have not enjoyed my stay in Orlando. My friends and family up North think I'm insane considering the beautiful weather and palm trees..something we are certainly not use to in Jersey..warm weather for about 3 mnths then back to the dry, freezing, brittle cold air. I should be soaking up the sun and enjoying life! I just want to be normal and over come my fear. I really am trying.. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:21 AM

8 posts, read 14,803 times
Most snakes that you may encounter are either black or green and actually do more good than harm for the area. They are more afraid of you than you are of them, so if you encounter one they will take off in a blink of an eye. The dangerous snakes are less common in areas populated by humans. If you want to find one of them you literally need to go look for them. Just relax and don't worry about them. You'll be fine.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:24 AM

31 posts, read 129,169 times
I've lived in Orlando for 23 years and I've certainly seen snakes, but they aren't going to be out on the concrete when you are laying at the pool, etc. Snakes prefer to hide in the taller grasses and will run from you faster than you can run from them. The majority of snakes that you will encounter in a subdivision are not poisonous. The ones I've seen the most are black racers - and like their name - they are soild black and move really fast - AWAY from you. Believe me, when I moved to Florida way back when I was freaked out by the size of the bugs and it took me a while to get over that. So, although snakes and lizards don't bother me - I understand your fear. Hang in there, you'll be a Floridian before you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando