Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 10:26 PM

87 posts, read 292,086 times

Advertisements

I miss my husband who's been commuting to Florida from Nashville. I can go be with him if I can just find a place that is safe for my 8 year old son and I. I want a SAFE neighborhood with trees and a nice library and parks and other families with children.

My husband doesn't want to drive more than 20 min. to work. Since i am not selling my house, the place needs to be reasonable. I don't want to spend more than $2500 per month with utilities. It would be much better if the place were furnished, but I can find furniture if need be. The east side of Winter Park seems nice (close to the freeway there are a lot of sex offenders so that's no good). but I am not sure how far south I can go without getting into an icky area. but is that farther than 20 minutes? the traffic there has always been terrible when i have visited, although I didn't go from Winter Park to John Young at Colonial either!

Also, my parents are in an apartment just south of the executive airport near Lake Underhill. Is that a dangerous area? I know there are sex offenders there, but I have not seen crime stats. Is there a crime map so I can see where crime is occuring in orlando? i know how to do it for my city, but not orlando.

Ideally, I would love to live someplace like Bay Hill, but it's too far (and too expensive if I don't sell my house here). The most important thing is for the area to be safe. I don't want to move the Florida to begin with, so I really want to find a nice place so that i can make it an adventure rather than something to endure. I like Nashville; we have hills and trees and 4 seasons! I like to VISIT Florida in the WINTER. It's very nice weather then and I am sure I will enjoy that part of the year but I am not looking forward to the summer. So if the area has a lot of TREES (which is why I looked at College Park at first) that would be great. College Park seems like it's too close to icky stuff though.

any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by 2martins; 04-06-2008 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: typos
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 07:46 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,876 times
Orlando has a great crime map. You can see murders and violent crime and change the "filter" to see other types of crime as well.
The Lake Underhill area and College Park areas are nice. I do not recommend the eastside of Winter Park for the most part if you are renting. There are a lot more treelined streets in the older parts of town generally and many of those areas are safe and pleasant. W Colonial is also a wasteland until you get out to the Ocoee/WG area.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:01 AM

Default crime map link?

could you post the link to the crime map, or tell me how to find it?

also, if college park is nice, are there street boundaries that i should stay in within that area? because to the north of the golf course there are sexual offenders. colonial is awful and obt is awful, but who wants to live near I-4?

is the area right around lake ivanhoe ok? it seems like nice houses so near the freeway would be prime house robbery targets.

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:17 AM

Orlando-Area Murder Map 2008 -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 04-07-2008, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 4,396 times
John Young and West Colonial is not a great area. There is too much trash in that area...

Old 04-07-2008, 01:44 PM

85 posts, read 365,664 times
lmao good luck. nowhere near there is safe. not even within a 15 mile radius north
south
east
definitely not west

Old 04-07-2008, 01:56 PM

I must need to move because I am 8 miles from there!
That was the most generalizing, paranoia inducing, no basis statement I have ever heard.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:05 PM

Default 15 miles of john young and colonial

ok, i have checked the sex offenders and the murders in the area, and winter garden seems ok to me. SOUTH of the tollroad, only, mind you. but there are fewer sex offenders there than in bay hill! go figure.

am i missing something? i can't figure out how to change the filter to change from seeing murders to break ins or hold ups. are there a lot of more minor crimes in winter garden south of the tollway that i am not aware of yet?

please help!

thanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:14 PM

Sorry, you are right. This map is more helpful:

Orlando Crime Map - Orlando Sentinel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando