Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 02:24 PM

36 posts, read 120,438 times

Advertisements

I am writing as a Brit who currently lives in the US but not at all near Florida. Is it previous experience with visiting that got you interested? The climate? The lifestyle? Cost of living? Job opportunities? Friends and/or family already out there? Pressure from the kids?

I'm just curious, for no specific reason. I know there are British people who move all over the US, but the Florida forums receive a much higher volume of traffic about relocations from the UK it seems. I was wondering what it is that makes this state the one that garners so much interest.

Thanks for helping me procrastinate today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 02:52 PM

321 posts, read 1,029,255 times
I am not personally British my dear husband is English and has lived here for 11 years. He actually even became a US citizen and is very proud of the accomplishment. I would say that several things influenced his decision to move to Florida... he had vacationed here several times before making the move. "Quality of life" is an answer that includes weather, lifestyle, cost of living, amount of time spent in the car... the only things he truly misses are amazing amount of paid time off, good curries, and football. But he has managed to replace football with both American football AND baseball... and golf, actually! As a result of his move, his parents have retired here (full time) as well. All three of them are happy with their moves and wouldn't go back for any reason.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:06 PM

126 posts, read 570,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wee_sassenach View Post
I was wondering what it is that makes this state the one that garners so much interest.
Most (disclaimer.....not all) come to the Mouse House for a couple of weeks every year and think living here will be a permanent holiday.

Actually, I'm being unfair. Those who have the above idea usually don't stay the obstacle course of immigration.

Oh God, I'm in a bad mood today folks

Forgive me, I just get so fed up of hearing about people who think it's so easy to come live and work here, and when you try to tell them all the difficulties, they take no bloody notice (not referring to this particular forum, in case you're wondering)

Ah well, some people only want to hear what thay want to hear, right?

Old 05-08-2008, 06:14 PM

36 posts, read 120,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marypoppins View Post
Forgive me, I just get so fed up of hearing about people who think it's so easy to come live and work here, and when you try to tell them all the difficulties, they take no bloody notice (not referring to this particular forum, in case you're wondering)

Ah well, some people only want to hear what thay want to hear, right?
I sometimes wonder what role film, books, and popular music have in this idea that the old open-ended immigration system is still alive and well...I don't believe that anyone nowadays really thinks it's like that, but those images of just getting on a boat and sailing over are so pervasive, even though they're images of decades long gone. People still want that American dream, even though they know how hard it is for anyone even in the States to get it...

Old 05-08-2008, 08:42 PM

8 posts, read 27,721 times
I work with a lot of people that come to Florida on Holiday looking for a vacation home.

I think the biggest draw is the climate. It is a big extreme to come from the rainy or snowy UK to the sunshine state. The other might be the price of housing here.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 PM

419 posts, read 907,051 times
Doesn't the extremely favorable Pound/Dollar rate of exchange play at least SOME role?.....A Brit can come over here and a buy a $200000 house for what amounts to a 50% discount.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:17 PM

250 posts, read 1,469,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wee_sassenach View Post
I am writing as a Brit who currently lives in the US but not at all near Florida. Is it previous experience with visiting that got you interested? The climate? The lifestyle? Cost of living? Job opportunities? Friends and/or family already out there? Pressure from the kids?

I'm just curious, for no specific reason. I know there are British people who move all over the US, but the Florida forums receive a much higher volume of traffic about relocations from the UK it seems. I was wondering what it is that makes this state the one that garners so much interest.

Thanks for helping me procrastinate today

Well me & my family (Hubby & 2 kids) are British and have lived here 2.5 years. We had been coming to Florida on holiday 2-3 times a year since we got married in 1992. Hubby wanted to come and live here straight away but I didnt. It took him 10 years fro him to get me to change my mind....part of that reason was we explored other parts of Florida not just Orlando and Kissimmee (where everyone ends up and thinks it would be great to do this 24/7 365 days a year when realistically it is totally different)

Anyway, i eventually changed my mind and got the "bug" myself to want to come here and took my exam to obtain my License to work over here...37 months later we arrive..............

We liked the laid back feeling here, and how everyone was friendly. The cost of living "appeared to be cheaper" than what we were used to in the UK but it isnt like that - we think it is more expensive to live here. BUT the weather is gorgeous most of the time, and if it isnt you know the rain wont last long!!! The fact that we have a better standard of living here (despite the extra expense) is a plus. We have a bigger house, more land, nicer cars, and great neighbours and friends. I have a good job also.

We have NO family over here so that was a bit of a wrench but we are all settled here and my boys LOVE it and are doing well....

I have to add that we had NO interest in living in Orlando - we live an hour and a half from there and is far enough away to make it a nice day out as a treat if we want!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando