Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 06:24 PM

141 posts, read 115,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I used to live right under the plane path there in Lake Nona. (~2011-2017, sporadically until 2020 when I visited parents)

It wasn't bad at all. Even by the Landon House apts.

Either you're really tolerant of noise or noise levels vary a lot within the neighborhood. Laureate Park gets a lot of plane noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 01:37 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lessman View Post
The default departure flow is south flow because communities to the north have more sway
No.

It's because planes need to take off into the wind and the default wind direction in this part of the world is from the southeast or southwest. Whenever we get wind out of the northwest or northeast (which is not that often) planes take off to the north.

Quote:
and don't like plane noise.
LOL at this - you're right, I don't like plane noise. But I live about 8 miles north of the westernmost runway (18R) at MCO. If planes are landing in our direction we have jet noise every 5-15 minutes from 6am until around midnight and we have to deal with the just as frequent jet and prop noise from ORL.

Quote:
There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to the departure path of individual flights. One will go right over my house, the next to the north, the next to the south. It's worse in the summer when the wind is mostly from the south.
So wait, you do understand that it's about wind direction?

There's no rhyme or reason to where planes go? Planes take off, climb to a certain altitude (usually relatively low), then turn in the direction of their destination based on the heading given to them by ATC all while continuing their climb. I've felt this and seen it from the window of a plane every time I've ever flown anywhere. A flight headed to Denver is going to take off to the south, climb, then turn west more or less over Osceola Parkway and then start tracking northwest.

I posted most of this via the links in the OP.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:05 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,694,174 times
In this day and age in America...If you want to avoid plane landings and take offs NOISES, you need to live in the STICKS...There is no other way in this Century...

Get Impact Windows and that will save your sanity and life in times of trouble...But In the entire State of Florida, there are only few bubolic places where the NOIsE will not be bothersome ...

Old 03-26-2021, 03:54 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,368 times
Planes (jet engines and props) will all be electric within a decade or so plus/minus (at least that's my prediction).

Old 03-27-2021, 08:08 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lessman View Post
Either you're really tolerant of noise or noise levels vary a lot within the neighborhood. Laureate Park gets a lot of plane noise.
I mean I've lived all around the country, so whatever little noises in Lake Nona happened didn't bother me. I go into Lake Nona with the expectation that plane noises will be heard since the FAA landing routes go right over it. It wasn't even all that bad. I used to work in Lake Nona like right in Lake Nona Blvd, and I used to tell people to stop complaining.

I think it's rather cool seeing planes fly in. But if people do get annoyed, go to St. Clout or Winter Park.

When I lived in Boston, there was a group of 15-20 million dollar home towns right under the flight path to Logan.. far worse than Laurete Parks. It didn't and hasn't affected property values or anything... If they were annoyed they were told to leave. Lol.

Granted I'm probably the Worst person to ask this or inquire about plane noises because I like busy busy environments and more country places like Lake Nona made me go stir crazy... So I'm sure the current residents may think different.

Although side note, don't Live in Laurette Park. When you sell your home you lose 5% back to the HOA! Eagle Creek is a far better deal now.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
No.

It's because planes need to take off into the wind and the default wind direction in this part of the world is from the southeast or southwest. Whenever we get wind out of the northwest or northeast (which is not that often) planes take off to the north.
I understand that. But given wind from the east or west (i.e. lacking any north component), they default to south flow. I've observed this, and they say as much themselves: https://www.orlandoairports.net/about-us/

An excerpt:

The GOAA noise abatement program brings together all stakeholders to reduce noise and educate the public regarding operations at its airports. MCO has a number of voluntary noise abatement procedures that have been in effect since the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, including:
  • Preferential runway use favoring south flow operations
  • Assigned headings on departures to the north
  • Nighttime noise abatement headings
  • Designated engine run-up areas

My digging has lead me to believe this may be because certain communities to the north are more vocal and speak with one voice. In Laureate Park your own neighbors are as likely to shout you down as take your side.

Quote:
LOL at this - you're right, I don't like plane noise. But I live about 8 miles north of the westernmost runway (18R) at MCO. If planes are landing in our direction we have jet noise every 5-15 minutes from 6am until around midnight and we have to deal with the just as frequent jet and prop noise from ORL.
That sucks. Like a double whammy. I don't know how you can stand it.

Quote:
So wait, you do understand that it's about wind direction?
Yes

Quote:
There's no rhyme or reason to where planes go? Planes take off, climb to a certain altitude (usually relatively low), then turn in the direction of their destination based on the heading given to them by ATC all while continuing their climb. I've felt this and seen it from the window of a plane every time I've ever flown anywhere. A flight headed to Denver is going to take off to the south, climb, then turn west more or less over Osceola Parkway and then start tracking northwest.
Meaning once they are climbing and are making their turn, they each follow a seemingly arbitrary path. Some planes will execute a tight turn right over Laureate Park, passing north, south, or directly over my home. Others will execute a more gradual turn well south of Laureate park. There may be a reason for this variation that I don't understand. I wonder if NextGen will standardize these departures. I shudder to think any such standard departure path will be right over my house.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:12 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
again if you dislike the noise. move.

dont be that person to complain.. if you cant take the pace you dont meet the cut to live there.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Planes (jet engines and props) will all be electric within a decade or so plus/minus (at least that's my prediction).
I hope so. I think battery weight and density are the big constraints right now. I've read all sorts of interesting stuff about hybrid systems, structural batteries, and things like that. Substantially quieter planes would be a game changer for communities close to airports.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
again if you dislike the noise. move.

dont be that person to complain.. if you cant take the pace you dont meet the cut to live there.
Again?

Anyway, nobody is complaining. OP asked and I answered honestly.

OP: This is a typical response when LP airplane noise is brought up. People get really defensive about the noise, especially if they or their family are in the aviation industry.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:54 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,368 times
Lake Nona already has plans for launching the nation's first eVTOL (electric vertical takeoff and landing) vertiport, which is pretty cool.

The Chinese have apparently already developed a prototype plasma jet engine. Not sure how far off a commercially-viable model would be that could power long-range/international flights, but let's hope sometime in the next decade or so:

https://asiatimes.com/2020/05/chines...ma-jet-engine/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando