Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 05:16 AM

16 posts, read 15,484 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on (or experiences with) living next to a retention pond?

I found a house that has pretty much everything I'm looking for, except it's right by the subdivision's retention pond.

I never wanted to live by open water here because it makes me think of snakes, alligators, mosquitos, and sinkholes.

There's a sturdy fence between the pond and the home though, so it's not like it's in the house's backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 07:35 AM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
I would.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:38 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Of course.

If you don't care for snakes, alligators or mosquitos, don't move to Florida. Just being next to water doesn't change the fact that snakes, alligators and mosquitos are a part of Florida life.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:33 AM

17,139 posts, read 15,341,895 times
I live next to one... What's the issue? You're in Florida... We get a routine alligator in the pond here and there.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:34 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Yes I would. As long as it’s not a flood zone, water will always help your resale value too.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:41 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
I would not. The posters above who are not concerned about alligators in the retention pond feel differently about alligators than I do.

As a baseline, you should assume that any body of water in Florida larger than a puddle (including a retention pond) will have at least one alligator in it at any given time. So never let your kids or dogs play near the shore of a pond or lake.

If the assumed gator in the retention pond next to your home doesn't bother you, then by all means go for the house you like. For me personally it would be a deal-breaker, but you have to decide what your level of gator-phobia is.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:58 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
I’ve lived next to retention ponds, and yes they had gators in them. Never bothered us.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:11 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I’ve lived next to retention ponds, and yes they had gators in them. Never bothered us.
Agreed.

We have a pond out back. Only seen a gator in there once, as it is a small pond and doesn't have much to attract a gator.

The lake, however, has a couple of them - pretty big too. I've never, ever, seen them out of the water.

People make too much of gators. Most of them want nothing to do with people. So long as you don't do anything stupid - like go in their water, feed them, or let your kids/pets get in the water - they will leave you alone.

Old 09-16-2021, 01:36 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Agreed.

We have a pond out back. Only seen a gator in there once, as it is a small pond and doesn't have much to attract a gator.

The lake, however, has a couple of them - pretty big too. I've never, ever, seen them out of the water.

People make too much of gators. Most of them want nothing to do with people. So long as you don't do anything stupid - like go in their water, feed them, or let your kids/pets get in the water - they will leave you alone.
Even then, I've seen some pretty big ones when I've been out paddleboarding. They just get out of the way.

A daytime attack on an adult human is very rare. A daytime attack on an adult who isn't in the water is unheard of.

Most attacks are dawn, dusk, or night and are on people who are swimming. Don't do that and you'll be fine.

Old 09-16-2021, 04:23 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudhomme View Post
What are your thoughts on (or experiences with) living next to a retention pond?

I found a house that has pretty much everything I'm looking for, except it's right by the subdivision's retention pond.

I never wanted to live by open water here because it makes me think of snakes, alligators, mosquitos, and sinkholes.

There's a sturdy fence between the pond and the home though, so it's not like it's in the house's backyard.
Mosquitoes are the more likely hazard of the group and would definitely consider/weigh options if your outdoor space isn't covered or enclosed with screening. Otherwise don't plan to spend much time outdoors throughout the year, more so in the evening after dusk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando