Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 06:50 AM

9 posts, read 9,374 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My friend and I are both moving to Orlando and want to live close by each other (not with each other or else we'd both go mad, lol) . They got a job at Disney (not remote), and I got a job at another company South of Downtown Orlando (Remote).

We both are:
  • Young Professionals in our late 20s
  • Looking to connect with other Young Professionals in their late 20s - late 30s (outside the college scene)
  • Looking to also network with people in the creative and tech scene (Engineers, etc.)
  • Looking to rent a studio or 1 bedroom apartment with a budget between $1,400 - $1600, but can be a bit flexible.
  • Looking for a safe community (closed access garage, gated community, or open to other safety suggestions)
  • Looking to be 15-20 minutes from amenities (groceries, bank, gym, etc)
  • Looking to be 15-20 minutes from happenings (networking opportunities in the tech and creative scene, and entertainment)

We've researched and gained insights on the following, but are unsure which to do a deeper dive on:
  • Winter Park / Maitland (checks all boxes, but a bit far from Disney)
  • Dr. Phillips / Winter Garden / Horizon West (expensssiiiivveeee, and doesn't seem to have a lot of apartment / 1 bedroom rent inventory. It seems to mostly be for people who have families and can afford big houses )
  • Lake Nona (we heard Disney is expanding here, but also are frightened by the crime statistics, and it seems far from everything)
  • Celebration (seems far from everything else but Disney)

We need help filling the gaps in our knowledge, your insights are greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 08:58 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Winter Garden/Horizon West should have what you’re looking for, and they are constantly building new complexes out there. Keep looking. The few friends I know who work professional jobs for the parks live there.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:25 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
I would check out College Park which has a Winter Park/Maitland artsy vibe which sounds like might be more your preference than cookie-cutter suburbia. Check out The Princeton in College Park or across I-4 around Lake Ivanhoe/Advent Health at The Yard at Ivanhoe or The Gallery at Mills Park. You get close proximity to Winter Park/Maitland or downtown plus walkability to restaurants, bars and shops in either neighborhood. College Park has it's retro Publix to shop in and Lake Ivanhoe has a Fresh Market a few blocks from either building. It's 30 minutes to Disney which is the national average commute so depending upon what you're used to, not bad perhaps.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:09 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,164,164 times
Lake Nona crime stats?

Old 08-08-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would check out College Park which has a Winter Park/Maitland artsy vibe which sounds like might be more your preference than cookie-cutter suburbia. Check out The Princeton in College Park or across I-4 around Lake Ivanhoe/Advent Health at The Yard at Ivanhoe or The Gallery at Mills Park. You get close proximity to Winter Park/Maitland or downtown plus walkability to restaurants, bars and shops in either neighborhood. College Park has it's retro Publix to shop in and Lake Ivanhoe has a Fresh Market a few blocks from either building. It's 30 minutes to Disney which is the national average commute so depending upon what you're used to, not bad perhaps.
I was with you until the 30 minutes part… how? Traffic in and out of college park is bonkers from all directions. Serious question, if you know a route I wasn’t to familiar with during commuting hours.

Old 08-08-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I was with you until the 30 minutes part… how? Traffic in and out of college park is bonkers from all directions. Serious question, if you know a route I wasn’t to familiar with during commuting hours.
Google said 20-28 minutes at rush hour. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Coll...1628496000!3e0

Old 08-08-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Google said 20-28 minutes at rush hour. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Coll...1628496000!3e0
Huh… Well okay then…

Old 08-09-2021, 06:22 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,005,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
A family member who lives in College Park works at Disney. The commute usually takes 40 minutes.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:02 AM

183 posts, read 146,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridax2021 View Post
Hello everyone!

We've researched and gained insights on the following, but are unsure which to do a deeper dive on:
  • Winter Park / Maitland (checks all boxes, but a bit far from Disney)- Yes, too far.
  • Dr. Phillips / Winter Garden / Horizon West (expensssiiiivveeee, and doesn't seem to have a lot of apartment / 1 bedroom rent inventory. It seems to mostly be for people who have families and can afford big houses )- Not for the single folks.
  • Lake Nona (we heard Disney is expanding here, but also are frightened by the crime statistics, and it seems far from everything)- Patently untrue. Quite safe, plenty of amenities there or coming. 417 to 536...you're at Disney.
  • Celebration (seems far from everything else but Disney)- Correct.
Comments inside quote.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offset View Post
Comments inside quote.
Lake Nona to WDW isn't as simple as you presented. It's about 20 miles and 30 minutes without traffic issues.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dwel...28.3771857!3e0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando