Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 10:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,983 times

Advertisements

I wanted to hear from young professionals or tech workers who live in the Mission, what made you decide to live there? Was it purely a cost issue? Or was it something else? Access to public transportation, maybe? Or was it because there are people closer to our age moving there as well?

Also, what are some the things you like and dislike about living in the Mission?

Just wanted to hear some firsthand accounts.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 12:21 AM

4 posts, read 6,077 times
I moved to the Mission in 2010. I was 26.

When I moved, I was still working in Sunnyvale. So I was looking for something which was closer to the Caltrain station and had easy access to the freeway. That left me with 2 options: SOMA and the Mission. For some reason I wasn't interested in Potrero, and from the Mission I planned to drive to the 22nd Caltrain station. I was very close to signing a lease in SOMA, but it fell through at the last moment and then I eventually found a place in the Mission!

So it just happened by chance. I still remember- right after signing the lease in the Mission, I walked over to a cafe thinking that I had made a big mistake and I was kicking myself for messing up the SOMA deal. Boy, was I wrong. :-)

Why do you ask?

Old 11-11-2013, 01:41 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,381 times
i had to get my daily fix so I moved as close to possible to 16th and mission.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:41 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
The authenticity of getting puke on my Campers.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the replies
@RobNeedsHelp your insight is very helpful. Thanks! The reason I ask is because I'm at that point where I am about to graduate from college and getting ready to enter the workforce in SF. I'm looking to move somewhere more affordable, but at the same time, around people who I can relate to and around my age. At the same time, I've been reading a lot of negative things on this forum about Mission, so I thought I would ask people who have firsthand experience

Is there anything that any of you don't like about living in Mission? Or anything that you would like to see changed?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:58 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,968 times
Mission is a big area, I think one's experience is going to depend on which part of the Mission one lives. It's also an area that is gentrifying at the speed of light, and someone who lived there but moved away six years ago may merely be reflecting on a bygone era.

Btw, is Mission still affordable?

Old 11-12-2013, 12:12 PM

@beb0p, I see what you mean. Thanks for your input.
I found a few postings on Craigslist for $950, $2k. My roommate and I are both from Los Angeles, so we don't know much about living up here, but we heard that Mission would be cheaper and younger people were moving out there who worked in the tech industry, so I thought I would start asking around...

Anyone else want to share their thoughts please?

Old 11-12-2013, 04:13 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,275,827 times
"Cheap" housing in the Mission is sort of a rip off for what you'll get. I remember back in college looking at a room in a really dumpy apartment off Shotwell that people were clawing all over eachother for that was $750 a month (it would probably go for at least $1100 these days), and that's when I decided it wasn't a neighborhood I wanted to live in. The really nice parts of the Mission, near Valencia aren't cheap, so you really have to love the culture/vibe that the area to put up with the cost. I enjoy an occasional meal or night out in the Mission, but it's just never felt like a place I'd fit in or enjoy that much. FWIW, a lot of the young, hip crowd that used to make up the population of the Mission is moving across the Bay into West Oakland and Temescal where the weather/price are marginally better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland