Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 01:40 PM

8 posts, read 11,832 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I have been searching everywhere for a good place to move my family, and the options seem bleak in this housing market, but I’ve been finding a lot of good options in 32828. Is this a good area to raise a family? I will be working in Altamonte Springs, so I know I will have a 30 minute commute, but I work early hours (7-3), so I should avoid most traffic.

I know Timber Creek High School is a good school, but is East River High School good? I have a 3 month old baby, so high school is a long time away, but we definitely want a good school district. Our budget is <$500k.

Thanks for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 02:11 PM

17,147 posts, read 15,350,560 times
It's a good area, but that commute to Altamonte is going to be awful. 30 minutes?
You're looking at an hour, easily, during most hours on weekdays.
Why not look for a place in Seminole County, such as Longwood, or even Altamonte itself?
If you want Orange County, Maitland, Winter Park, Baldwin Park, etc., are all MUCH more realistic than Avalon Park, and just as good, if not better.
You can get a good house in pretty much any place in Seminole County on your budget.

If I ever consider moving back to the Orlando area and am looking for a suburban lifestyle with all amenities nearby, the areas around Brantley, up along Markham Woods, etc., are where I am looking to settle. (IF)

In short, I would not live out that way knowing I have a commute to Altamonte and back every day.

Old 10-03-2021, 02:15 PM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
I'm a little perplexed at how you landed 30 minutes away in Orange County when there are as good or better Seminole County school districts that are 15 minutes away from work, which is also in Seminole County.

Here are some examples:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...40y%60AqGnu%40

Old 10-03-2021, 02:32 PM

17,147 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm a little perplexed at how you landed 30 minutes away in Orange County when there are as good or better Seminole County school districts that are 15 minutes away from work, which is also in Seminole County.

Here are some examples:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...40y%60AqGnu%40
Not to mention, 30 minutes is not going to happen on a weekday from there to Altamonte, ever, unless driving at 3AM...

I have friends who recently bought in this area:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...47671688_zpid/

Old 10-03-2021, 07:16 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times
On that budget, I'm living in Oviedo or Winter Springs. Schools are superior to the Orange County schools and it will put you closer to work.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:26 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,659 times
There are great areas way closer to your workplace for that budget.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:28 AM

I work in a hospital, so I work weird hours (have to be there before 7 am and will usually leave before 3 pm). Would the commute really be that bad at that point? When I look on Google maps, it shows the commute as 33 minutes even during normal business hours during the day.

It just seems like you get way more house in a nicer area in 32828. I’ve been searching for Seminole county homes, and the selections have been very disappointing, and Seminole high school is rated 4/10, whereas Timber Creek is 7/10.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:07 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,123,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie61195 View Post
I work in a hospital, so I work weird hours (have to be there before 7 am and will usually leave before 3 pm). Would the commute really be that bad at that point? When I look on Google maps, it shows the commute as 33 minutes even during normal business hours during the day.

It just seems like you get way more house in a nicer area in 32828. I’ve been searching for Seminole county homes, and the selections have been very disappointing, and Seminole high school is rated 4/10, whereas Timber Creek is 7/10.
I used to commute to Winter Springs from Colonialtown leaving home around 7:30am. Not exactly the same commute as the one you are looking at but there is some overlap. Mine wasn't bad - usually taking about 25 minutes in the AM with the usual slowdown on 417 at University.

If you're leaving home at 6:30am heading to Altamonte, that should be pretty easy. Probably about 35 minutes.

If you're leaving work at 3pm it shouldn't be so bad - not great just not terrible. 28 is a big zip code so depending on how deep you are in it I'm guessing it could be 40-50 minutes to get home.

There's just no great way to make that drive. Either you go through the belly of the beast taking 408 to I-4 or you go up 417 to Red Bug then over to 436. I would avoid trying to drive through that intersection of I-4 and 436. It's always crazy but afternoons are definitely worse.

I agree with others, Oviedo would put you a lot closer - so would Wekiva Springs and Lake Mary but if you're not finding the house you want, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:25 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie61195 View Post
Hi everyone!

I have been searching everywhere for a good place to move my family, and the options seem bleak in this housing market, but I’ve been finding a lot of good options in 32828. Is this a good area to raise a family? I will be working in Altamonte Springs, so I know I will have a 30 minute commute, but I work early hours (7-3), so I should avoid most traffic.

I know Timber Creek High School is a good school, but is East River High School good? I have a 3 month old baby, so high school is a long time away, but we definitely want a good school district. Our budget is <$500k.

Thanks for all of your help!

That area is a nice master planned community. The only major drawback to me is the nearby nuclear plant (I think it's nuclear, but I'm not 100% sure). Regarding the commute, check google maps with live traffic during the time you'd be driving to know for sure how long it will take you. We all have different commute tolerances, so if you're fine with it, then that's all that matters. One of my friends in San Francisco, where I moved from commutes 1.5 hours each way, so 30-45 minutes would be a dream to her. I'm also like you in the sense I'd rather have a longer commute in exchange for living in an area I like.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:39 AM

Thanks so much for the help. The job I have provided 13 weeks of paid leave with no nights/weekends/call, so that’s the only reason I’m really considering it (significant improvement to the late days I’ve been doing and the call), so I figure it would be worth a bit of a longer commute for the nicer house assuming it isnt an insane distance. If not for the 13 weeks off and early hours, I wouldn’t do it. At 630 am and prior to 3-4 pm, Google maps doesn’t show a long commute, but you guys are way more knowledgeable than I am. If I do it, I would specifically go for the neighborhoods that are 30 min away since I know it’s a large zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando