Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 08:45 PM

8 posts, read 18,200 times

Advertisements

I just got back from exploring this area. My feeling is that although it's come a long way from what it used to be, it's still very rural and farmlike ... in some cases, very isolated depending upon where you are. If that is what you are looking for, it may suit you fine. But out in Groveland, you really have to drive a good 10-15 minutes to get to shopping. And you certainly don't get the more "urban" or suburban feel (if you can even call it that) of the immediate Orlando area. I also went to Lake Dora area, the Villages, and Ocala. I personally liked the Lake Nona and St. Cloud area better but the prices are higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 09:43 PM

5,974 posts, read 3,715,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofla View Post
I just got back from exploring this area. My feeling is that although it's come a long way from what it used to be, it's still very rural and farmlike ... in some cases, very isolated depending upon where you are. If that is what you are looking for, it may suit you fine. But out in Groveland, you really have to drive a good 10-15 minutes to get to shopping. And you certainly don't get the more "urban" or suburban feel (if you can even call it that) of the immediate Orlando area. I also went to Lake Dora area, the Villages, and Ocala. I personally liked the Lake Nona and St. Cloud area better but the prices are higher.
Much of Lake County, FL (which is where Clermont/Groveland is) is made up of private, gated, residential communities that are just off the highways They have their own entertainment venues inside the communities and since many of the residents are retired, they don't have to leave their cozy little world unless they want to. Some may leave to buy groceries, but with home delivery of groceries now quite common, even that isn't a necessity. Travel inside the communities is often via electric golf cart so they don't need to leave to buy gas.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you just drive the main roads, or even the backroads, you don't really see how a large percentage of the residents live. Dining, theaters, golf, and entertainment of all kinds is available inside the gates of many of these communities, but you'll never see it just driving around and looking at the countryside through the windshield of your car. And the residents of these communities like it just fine that way.

Old 03-09-2022, 07:27 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,169,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
that's not how math works. If you go 65 miles in 45 minutes it means you were averaging 87 mph.
Whatever....believe or don't believe. I am 73 years old....do you really think I make the trip driving 87? LOL And I have gotten there in 45-50 minutes several times. I actually drive it, so speaking from experience. If you looked at the google time that is figured at speed limit it is around 1 hour 10 minutes so only shaving minutes from their time, so going 10 over the whole way with no traffic lights or ones that are green at the airport to drop off at OIA it is not hard to do. It probably takes longer to get to the airport from Clermont sometimes in traffic than from here because it is all interstate and toll road but with the sun pass there is no stopping to pay tolls etc.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Much of Lake County, FL (which is where Clermont/Groveland is) is made up of private, gated, residential communities that are just off the highways They have their own entertainment venues inside the communities and since many of the residents are retired, they don't have to leave their cozy little world unless they want to. Some may leave to buy groceries, but with home delivery of groceries now quite common, even that isn't a necessity. Travel inside the communities is often via electric golf cart so they don't need to leave to buy gas.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you just drive the main roads, or even the backroads, you don't really see how a large percentage of the residents live. Dining, theaters, golf, and entertainment of all kinds is available inside the gates of many of these communities, but you'll never see it just driving around and looking at the countryside through the windshield of your car. And the residents of these communities like it just fine that way.

I understand, but that has to work for you. Yes, there is some entertainment within the communities. But eventually, one has to come out. To go shopping (not everyone has everything delivered), to go to the doctor, to dine out, to go to the movies or for a change of pace. And that is ALL 10-15 minutes away and all the while you are driving through rural roads and passing farms and "shack-like" homes. And that's fine, if you like that. Obviously if there are people living there, it works for them. For me, I like the idea of driving out of a community in St. Cloud or Lake Nona, driving a few blocks and having activity and a more "modern" infrastructure right there.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:04 PM

27,187 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
My first thoughts on Groveland are that it's far removed from everything I'd want to be doing. The coast does seem to have more going on vs. Lake County plus, there are airports in Daytona, Sanford, and Melbourne so there's no real reason to lead foot it to MCO.
I find the allergy to the coast baffling of newcomers (and a number of existing residents) who seem to think living as far inland as possible is preferential.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I find the allergy to the coast baffling of newcomers (and a number of existing residents) who seem to think living as far inland as possible is preferential.
I agree. A number of them seem to think that the "coast" is too congested and also that if they live inland, they are "immune" to hurricanes. I've also heard a number of them claim that living "near" the coast requires expensive flood insurance.

Granted, they will avoid the storm surge, but they are far from immune. And you can be much closer to the coast, still not be in a flood zone, and not need flood insurance. I know many people who live 20-30 minutes from the coast and who have reasonable homeowners insurance.

Old 03-21-2022, 01:47 PM

54 posts, read 56,432 times
Clermont is beautiful! And it’s very built up. I wouldn’t waste my time with Groveland.
Clermont though has many many many store and has been built up a lot. Not to mention the rolling hills in Clermont are amazing.
The sunsets there are almost reminiscent of the sunsets back home in Burbank. I haven’t experienced a Summer in central Florida yet. I moved here back in September of 2021. Although I will say the winters here are definitely a little more chillier than I expected coming from the LA area we rarely see night lows in the 30s. So far this winter we’ve had a handful of morning where it was in the 30s and wind chills in the upper 20s. But it doesn’t last long.
I live in Winter Park.
Put on my days off from work I drive out to Places like Clermont, Minneola, Eustis, and Mount Dora to hill bombing on my longboard.
So I’ve gotten to know the area like Clermont very well.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofla View Post
I agree. A number of them seem to think that the "coast" is too congested and also that if they live inland, they are "immune" to hurricanes. I've also heard a number of them claim that living "near" the coast requires expensive flood insurance. Granted, they will avoid the storm surge, but they are far from immune. And you can be much closer to the coast, still not be in a flood zone, and not need flood insurance. I know many people who live 20-30 minutes from the coast and who have reasonable homeowners insurance.
The coast is too congested? LOL.. Have they driven around Orlando/Central Florida? Then compare to Brevard County and assess that once again. Flood insurance is expensive only right on the coast and as mentioned, there are many areas with low flood or non-evacuation status that replicate what is seen for rates 50-60 miles inland, which most of us know is a minute difference when a hurricane makes a direct hit.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:56 PM

17 posts, read 31,305 times
groveland is for people that can't afford to live in clermont, clermont is for people that can't afford to live in winter garden or any of the nice burbs. Pinehill is for people who can't afford to live anywhere but pinehill

all good areas though except Pinehill, I'd live there in a heartbeat

Old 03-27-2022, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrairc View Post
groveland is for people that can't afford to live in clermont, clermont is for people that can't afford to live in winter garden or any of the nice burbs. Pinehill is for people who can't afford to live anywhere but pinehill

all good areas though except Pinehill, I'd live there in a heartbeat
Overtly simplistic rationale there...

Consider some don't enjoy being in more congested areas and prefer peace/quiet. Others prefer new construction and it's not as prevalent as it once was so more often than not these projects are further out, where development-friendly land is more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando