Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 09:05 AM

17,288 posts, read 15,491,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
3. The ridership numbers seem comically low. MCO is the 2nd busiest airport in the US for origin/destination trips after LAX. The parking and traffic is a nightmare. If there was regular rail service, even just hourly, from Advent Health to the airport I would never drive to the airport again. Over 150,000 people per day make their to or from the airport, 90% of them are passengers (the other 10% employees) and of the passengers most of them are visitors in what is a very expensive rental car market. If they build the system out like intended and they offer 15 minute headways to the airport from AdventHealth and Kissimmee like they're saying and 15 minute service from the airport to Disney Springs - you're looking at closer to 100k pax per day within the first couple of years - the employment density of places like the airport, I-Drive, and Disney Springs is insane not to mention that they're also big attractions for locals too.
Agreed 100%.

I also would never drive to the airport again. And I imagine people in far out places like Lake Mary and Sanford wouldn't either.

And yes, the number seems insanely low, considering the amount of traffic those places generate. Just the tourists alone would fill those trains up in large numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 07:10 AM

500 posts, read 526,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Agreed 100%.

I also would never drive to the airport again. And I imagine people in far out places like Lake Mary and Sanford wouldn't either.

And yes, the number seems insanely low, considering the amount of traffic those places generate. Just the tourists alone would fill those trains up in large numbers.
Definitely a no brainer to avoid parking/Uber fees. Would probably saving everyone at least $60/trip.

Old 05-01-2024, 12:35 PM

17,288 posts, read 15,491,542 times
Meanwhile, extending Sunrail to... Deland...?

https://www.wesh.com/article/mothers...deals/60649630

I have nothing against this in particular, aside from the fact that this doesn't really seem like a priority, especially since the station is in the middle of nowhere. Bizarre set of priorities for FDOT.

Old Today, 10:00 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,136,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Meanwhile, extending Sunrail to... Deland...?

https://www.wesh.com/article/mothers...deals/60649630

I have nothing against this in particular, aside from the fact that this doesn't really seem like a priority, especially since the station is in the middle of nowhere. Bizarre set of priorities for FDOT.
Yeah, ill conceived, IMO. Apparently that was part of the original negotiations with Volusia. It was basically guaranteed to them and the way the contracts were written FDOT couldn't turn it over to local authorities until the line was complete - which included the DeLand extension.

There's a single-track spur that branches off of the main line and heads towards downtown DeLand, about 1/4 mile from the Stetson campus. That section of track is about 3 miles long but trying to bring that online would cost $$$ because you're talking upgrading the track, 2 extra stations, a passing siding, new signaling and PTC compliance, and an insane amount of gates since there are around a dozen grade crossings and for several of them the tracks cut a diagonal through the intersection a la New York & Lyman in Winter Park.

On the positive side, there's now an Amtrak/SunRail interchange station north of Winter Park. I took the train up to Jacksonville a few months ago for a conference. Because parking is pretty limited at Winter Park I had to take Sunrail from Altamonte to Winter Park then pass through Altamonte again on Amtrak. It chewed up almost an hour of my time vs. being able to take Sunrail to DeLand and transferring there. On that note, we really need some extra trains between Tampa and Jax. Even just two more round-trips per day would make it so much easier to reliably use the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando