Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:17 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,614,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicie View Post
Are you sure they weren't joking?
No, believe me they were not joking at all. If they were they should be smart enough or respectful enough not to do this in front of two young children anyway.

Once we all understand that racism works all ways and not just one the quicker we can fix things that divide us.

Personally I have seen more black on white racism in my life then white on black. But that is just me and I am sure others have different stories. I get racial slurs tossed at me by black men all the time at the malls, grocery stores etc and what ticks me off me then anything is they do it even with my kids beside me. Someone forgot to show them at least have the respect with young kids being present to keep their mouth shut. I can handle their remarks but it goes to far when my kids are right now listening to this crap.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:14 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,316 times
May I ask where you live Sunshine? As a white female with children also I have to say that I have never experienced black on white racism. The only remarks I have gotten from black men have been very flattering. However, I do think there is still a lot of white on black racism left here from our "Kow Town" days.

I have been shocked at some of the things I have read in this thread. I didn't know it was that bad still. I always thought of Central Florida as being ahead of the game when it came to acceptance. I guess ignorance can never be cured and that is a shame.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:23 PM

5 posts, read 10,402 times
I live in orlando for 4 years and i know there are some areas with racist , comparing to the north NY -Conneticut - Boston is nothing.
anyway, i feel bad for that , hope you do not thing all in here are the same.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:18 PM

41 posts, read 219,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarss View Post
I live in orlando for 4 years and i know there are some areas with racist , comparing to the north NY -Conneticut - Boston is nothing.
anyway, i feel bad for that , hope you do not thing all in here are the same.
There are racistt people everywhere but Orlando Fl can't be any worse than here and from what I saw, It's not. It's very Diverse and seems wonderful.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:03 AM

43 posts, read 180,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
May I ask where you live Sunshine? As a white female with children also I have to say that I have never experienced black on white racism. The only remarks I have gotten from black men have been very flattering. However, I do think there is still a lot of white on black racism left here from our "Kow Town" days.

I have been shocked at some of the things I have read in this thread. I didn't know it was that bad still. I always thought of Central Florida as being ahead of the game when it came to acceptance. I guess ignorance can never be cured and that is a shame.

My incidents were few and far between. I don't want anyone to think that it happens on a daily basis. As a black man, I can agree with Sunshine on the black-on-white bashing due to the open correlation with the police and what not.

It HAS, however, gotten a lot better than it was a decade ago and I think with the influx of transients it will only get better with time. This is why I'm on my way back to the Sunshine state, once and for all.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:18 PM

156 posts, read 151,753 times
Leaving the beauty of Vermont for the concrete and congestion? Sorry, a little off-topic, but it caught me by suprise.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:15 AM

33 posts, read 99,144 times
Racism is everywhere and sometimes it's difficult to look beyond it. Nevertheless, we have a responsibility to the upcoming generation (teach them that people are different in many ways and yet still the same in others). It is essential that parents and family members break the cycle by teaching tolerance and respect to the younger people. Learning begins in the home (good and bad).

Old 06-23-2008, 08:44 AM

43 posts, read 180,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer boy View Post
Leaving the beauty of Vermont for the concrete and congestion? Sorry, a little off-topic, but it caught me by suprise.
One man's trash is another man's treasure, I suppose. I honestly can't stand it out here and I question how someone could on a daily basis.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,010 times
Default Racist orlando

Orlando is definitely one of the most racist places in USA. I have lived in New York, Arkansas, FLorida and many other places.

I am a professor and I encountered countless incidents of racism. Racism is not always apparent but can be very subtle. As a colored person, you are almost invisible in Orlando

At least thats my experience

Old 09-15-2008, 12:17 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,753 times
I think Some people in Orlando are just openly racist but I don`t think it is more, I grew up in Rhode Island and people there were Racist but not open about it like they can be here but it`s just as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando