Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,108 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are fairly new to Florida and are moving to a home in Eastwood (East Orlando, near Waterford Lakes). The home has a large lake directly behind it, at a very close distance. My question is: has anyone ever had a problem with snakes in their yard, especially being so close to a body of water? I'm a bit worried about poisonous snakes such as cottonmouths and corals, particularly the cottonmouths as I've heard they like water. Rattlesnakes are another concern.

I don't really care about garden snakes and other non-poisonous snakes; I have a small daughter, so I'm mostly concerned about her. I'd never let her play in the yard alone, anyway, especially with the lake right there, but the possibility of having an encounter with a poisonous snake throws a new wrench into the works.

I don't want to have to scan my yard every time I set foot in it. On the other hand, I'm assuming snakes can't be that big of a problem, as Central Florida is full of various lakes, ponds, streams, etc., and I don't think people would move into subdivisions knowing that they and/or their families have a serious risk of being bitten by a snake.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:22 PM

266 posts, read 1,162,050 times
You are correct - being close to a body of water increases your chances of encountering a moccasin. However, they, like most other snakes will scurry to get away from you unless cornered. Keep your grass cut on a regular basis (snakes love the high grass), and instruct your daughter to not pick up any of those creatures or stick her hands in "gopher holes." Common sense goes a long way. In the last 5 years, I've only encountered 2 snakes (I live on the edge of 300 acres of woods). Both were around the (unscreened) pool - both were disposed of quickly.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,108 times
Thanks for your reply. If I do see a snake which I suspect to be poisonous, should I call animal control? (I'd never consider trying to touch the creature myself.)

Have you ever heard of a product called "Snake Away" or something similar? Do you think it would be a good idea to use such a product, or just a waste of money?

We are going to have either a screened patio or a screened pool area put in, so that will minimize the possibility of encounters (I hope!). I just don't feel comfortable with my daughter playing in the yard so close to the water, for a variety of reasons.

You mentioned "gopher holes"--are most large holes in the ground here (I've seen quite a few) made by snakes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando