Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:45 AM

5 posts, read 10,482 times

Advertisements

I was looking to see if anyone has any info or thoughts on the Mt. Dora area (specifically the 32757 zip code). Looking to see thoughts on the area, crime, distance to Orlando and the theme parks. Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 12:58 PM

986 posts, read 3,552,942 times
Mount dora is a very nice, pretty town. City data has pretty comprehensive stats which would give you all the info you would need. In terms of commute from Orlando and the theme parks depending on time of day to the closest sections of Mount dora you are looking at about 50 min. realistically with traffic you would be looking at between 1hr and 1hr and a half. It is quite a nice quiet sleepy place which we like to visit every so often. It depends on what you are looking for in a town. It wouldnt suprise me if the median age there was quite old simply because of the atmosphere etc but city data should have stats on this too.

Hope this helps

Old 07-24-2008, 04:47 PM

485 posts, read 1,704,976 times
My husband and I moved to Mount Dora from L.A. and like living here. We are young-ish (early 30s) and it is kinda slow for us, but I would rather live here than in Orlando. I work from home, so commuting isn't an issue for me, but I think it would be a pain if I had to drive into an Orlando office everyday from here. We do go to the Whole Foods in Winter Park about once a week, and to Sanford to shop a lot, but the drives aren't too bad. There isn't much besides Target, Walmart, etc in this area. You will have go into Orlando for a nice mall, and the nearest movie theater is in Leesburg, which is about 15 miles away. There is a Starbucks in Target, which closes by 9pm. The coffee shops in Mount Dora close by 5pm for the most part. Just something to adjust to after living in a big city.

The town of Mount Dora is very pretty and I just love the downtown area. There are some shady areas outside of town (in parts of Eustis and Tavares), so just be careful when looking for homes or apt. rentals. I was told to stay away from Spring Harbor Apartments due to rowdy tenants.

The pace is pretty slow here but it can be a welcome change from city life. I think there is a nice mix of ages here - there are lots of 30-somethings in my apt. complex, and I see people of all ages out and about - not just retirees. I think there are lot of families with school-age children in this area.

We went to New Smyrna Beach last weekend and it took us only about 45 minutes, so beaches are nearby. I love that you can travel to so many places - Clearwater Beach, Miami, even Savannah, GA in four hours or less.

We are probably moving back to L.A., but just because of my husband's job situation. I wouldn't move to Orlando without a good paying job (if you can find one) lined up. Our electric bill was WAY, WAY higher than we ever had in L.A. ($230 for a 2 bed apt.) and food, etc. costs the same. For us, only rent has been cheaper.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 AM

12 posts, read 38,782 times
I have lived in Mount Dora for 8 years and absolutlely love it here. Mount Dora has a higher elevation than most Florida cities and is located on Lake Dora, part of the chain of lakes. Is is a very scenic, friendly community that is an easy commute to Orlando and the beaches. Disney is 30 minutes, downtown is 40 minutes and great shopping and restaurants are only 30 minutes away. Ther are some great reataurants right here in Mount Dora also. There are plenty of activities to keep you busy year round.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,341 times
I too find the city to be a little on the slower side, but I grew up in Fort Lauderdale, so everything is a little slower to me. I would try Lake Mary, at least there is a bit of civilization out there.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,282 times
Been here since 2004 from North Carolina Mt. You would love the winters - summers can be a little ugly, but you get use to it after a year or two.

Lot of art and music, great food. Its a fun place.

Mod Edit: web site advertising

john

Last edited by cmj_fla; 11-03-2008 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: advertising not allowed

Old 10-09-2011, 08:04 PM

5 posts, read 20,094 times
I am wondering what areas in and around Mount Dora should I steer clear of? I remember driving up from Apopka on the way to Mount Dora and coming in from somewhere on the east side of town. The neighborhood looked quite sketchy and the yards were in shambles.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:23 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,516,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taquanda View Post
I am wondering what areas in and around Mount Dora should I steer clear of? I remember driving up from Apopka on the way to Mount Dora and coming in from somewhere on the east side of town. The neighborhood looked quite sketchy and the yards were in shambles.
There's not really any place in Mt. Dora that is too sketchy, but the area between the middle and high school (on the east side) was never too great. I remember it just being referred to as the poorer section of town.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:32 PM

189 posts, read 521,154 times
Can someone suggest both the fastest and also the most scenic route from DisneyWorld?

Planning a visit & would like to A LOT of the areas en route AND in Mount Dora itself.

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2011, 06:20 PM

5 posts, read 20,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
There's not really any place in Mt. Dora that is too sketchy, but the area between the middle and high school (on the east side) was never too great. I remember it just being referred to as the poorer section of town.
I distinctly remember driving through what I'd consider the "ghetto" of Mount Dora. Can't remember what area other than it was east of the historic district. Maybe east side of Clayton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando