Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:32 AM

14 posts, read 66,633 times

Advertisements

I know the job economy stinks right now, but why does an employer not appreciate their "good" employees. Every job has the person who parties every night and comes in late, or not at all the next day, is never focused, performs at just the minimum level and is always next in line to get fired, but what about the guy who is a dedicated, top performer but never really appreciated?

The reason I say this is because I was laid off today from my position. Yesterday during TS Fay we received @ 30 inches of rain at our house in northern Melbourne. Our streets were under 2-3 feet of water and I couldn't make it out of our community. Having a job in the cable industry, our position requires working outside most of the time with the rest being in a customers home. When I called in to tell them that we were flooded, I was told to try my best to get in. I tried twice to make it through the water with me truck stalling numerous times. So when I called they told me someone would bring my cable boxes and modems to me for installations today. I explained that even if I get the equipment, I cant go anywhere to install them! I was told to figure it out.

Anyway, I got the equipment, made it out of my community with help from another vehicle, worked for 2 hours and was called by the office and told that Brighthouse was canceling the rest of everyone's appointments because of the weather. The next day (today) I was laid off.

I have been the top performer (out of 30+ guys) for the last year and a half, first one to the office every morning, never had a failed quality control check, made "Master Technician" after only six months, worked 60+ hours a week and every weekend with benefits that I paid for and no vacation or holidays. I'm a honest 35 year old married (17 years) father of two that does not do drugs, party, stay out late, and really just enjoys being around his family. I'm educated with 2 associates degrees, numerous certifications and lots of job performance in the few long term positions I've carried.

I guess my question is why doesn't an employer value a good employee anymore. Sure, there are bad seeds but it seems they get the same treatment as the good ones. I've looked at it from many angles and truly believe that I am a good employee that has not found the right company yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 11:32 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
I'm sorry to hear that. But to tell you the truth I learned along time ago that Fl. employers don't care about their good employees. In fact, it's better to just do the minimum and call it a day. I've been one of the best employees at a few companies in Orlando and it doesn't matter. I quickly learned to not care, slack off, just do the minimum I could, take long lunch breaks, etc because they truly don't value good employees. In fact, it's not just Florida, it's most companies these days. It's not like hard work and knowledgable employees get better raises anyway. Good luck and I hope you learned some lessons LOLOLOL!

Old 08-21-2008, 12:14 PM

33 posts, read 99,185 times
Default Your plight

I am so sorry to hear of your plight. The truth is, employers view employees as a number (like the prison system). They don't care about you because it means that they can and will hire the next sucker for less than what they were paying you.

Years ago, I was at work feeling ill. I went to see my doctor who told me that I had walking pneumonia. I went back to the company site to gather my things and informed them of the doctor's diagnosis and that he recommended that I go home immediately. The manager told me that I could not go home. The only reason why I went back to the site was to gather my things. Needless to say, I told her I was leaving and if anyone had a problem with it, I would gladly have my lawyer contact them. I walked out the door.

Keep in mind howerver, we are talking about New York City. Things are very much different here in Florida so I am not surprise that they would want you to get to work by any means necessary.

A friend of mine who works the night shift (LPN) was told that if she did not show up for work Tuesday night then she was not to ever come back.

Good luck and remember, loyality is no longer a good trait.

Last edited by chinesedoll; 08-21-2008 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 01:43 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
This is horrible! I can't even imagine people behaving that way. I had heard bad things about Bright House. I wonder if it would do any good if enough of us customers complained? I would gladly do so.

DH and I are blessed to work for Christian employers who have always treated us well. DS works for a major employer here in Orlando - has unbelievable benefits and a great team and director.

However, while in college he worked for awhile as a computer tech at Circuit City. They were AWFUL. I will never darken the door of that store again simply due to the way I know they treat their employees. While they never laid him off or fired him, they intentionally made it difficult, finally cutting his hours down to 1 hour a week. They wanted him to quit so they could hire new people at minimum wage. Of course, they also didn't like it because he wouldn't lie to people in order to sell them things they didn't need.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox..to tell you how sorry I am. BUT, on an encouraging note - try to think of it as the launching pad for a much better career for you. Bright House did not deserve your talent and loyalty. There is an employer out there who will.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:40 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Florida employers treat their employees like cattle. They want to pay the cheapest possible salaries and if you leave they have 1,000's of others waiting to take your job. Welcome to the Florida job market.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:45 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Florida employers treat their employees like cattle. They want to pay the cheapest possible salaries and if you leave they have 1,000's of others waiting to take your job. Welcome to the Florida job market.
That's true - it's because everyone wants to live here and there is always someone willing to do that job. Lots of competition.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 PM

14 posts, read 66,633 times
Yeah, I've been here for ten years and have seen that Brighthouse cable treats their employees better than the contractors do. I worked for a contractor for Brighthouse, not actually for Brighthouse. Still, Brighthouse starts their employees @ $10.50 an hour but the hours are good. Pretty much the norm here in Florida for pay, contractors make 3x the money (piece work) but often work til 9pm or later.

You would think that training and retaining a good employee would be considered an investment into the future of the company and the employee. The contractor I worked for called wanting me back after only 48 hours being laid off, "No hard feelings" and "We're slammed this weekend, can you help us out?" they said. The thing is I didn't do anything wrong, being stuck in the middle of a tropical storm. I just can't get over the mindset. Maybe it's not having people in management that have management skills, or if it's just the lack of concern for someone elses future besides your own, you know, the "I gotta get mine and screw the rest" mindset. It's really sad because I'm a total team player thats been the very best at whatever I've done in life. I guess that it's that I don't have a cut throat mentality. I want to see the whole team do well, not just myself.

Hopefuly a company that values these traits will come along. I've got one good prospect that may just work out. Until then, I'm just an expendable five digit number to my current employer.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:10 AM

555 posts, read 2,212,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSICCA View Post
I know the job economy stinks right now, but why does an employer not appreciate their "good" employees. Every job has the person who parties every night and comes in late, or not at all the next day, is never focused, performs at just the minimum level and is always next in line to get fired, but what about the guy who is a dedicated, top performer but never really appreciated?

The reason I say this is because I was laid off today from my position. Yesterday during TS Fay we received @ 30 inches of rain at our house in northern Melbourne. Our streets were under 2-3 feet of water and I couldn't make it out of our community. Having a job in the cable industry, our position requires working outside most of the time with the rest being in a customers home. When I called in to tell them that we were flooded, I was told to try my best to get in. I tried twice to make it through the water with me truck stalling numerous times. So when I called they told me someone would bring my cable boxes and modems to me for installations today. I explained that even if I get the equipment, I cant go anywhere to install them! I was told to figure it out.

Anyway, I got the equipment, made it out of my community with help from another vehicle, worked for 2 hours and was called by the office and told that Brighthouse was canceling the rest of everyone's appointments because of the weather. The next day (today) I was laid off.

I have been the top performer (out of 30+ guys) for the last year and a half, first one to the office every morning, never had a failed quality control check, made "Master Technician" after only six months, worked 60+ hours a week and every weekend with benefits that I paid for and no vacation or holidays. I'm a honest 35 year old married (17 years) father of two that does not do drugs, party, stay out late, and really just enjoys being around his family. I'm educated with 2 associates degrees, numerous certifications and lots of job performance in the few long term positions I've carried.

I guess my question is why doesn't an employer value a good employee anymore. Sure, there are bad seeds but it seems they get the same treatment as the good ones. I've looked at it from many angles and truly believe that I am a good employee that has not found the right company yet.
Sorry about your job loss and I hope you find something soon. It is true that just working hard at the job does not earn you much in the way of pay raises or recognition. It doesn't pay at all to work yourself to death for a job that may be fleeting. Trying to navigate flood waters to get to your job only to be let go is just demoralizing. Thanks for the insight on Bright House.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:57 AM

37 posts, read 121,485 times
Unhappy I, totally, agree!!!

Everything that has been said here on this thread is true. The Orlando area sucks when it comes to employment. I have lived here for almost 30 years and never had a problem finding a job until five years ago. I have been working since the age of 12 and when my dept. was closed five years ago, I did not know that I would still be looking today. Don't get me wrong, I do have a PT job teaching at a college but the pay sucks.

My son has been a professional auto painter for 25 years. He went into work four months ago and his shop closed that afternoon without any warning. He is still looking and we are helping with all of his bills including the mortgage.

Orlando does not seem to care for their good employees. The Blondie comic strip years ago had a strip with Mr. Bumstead asking Dagwood where all the "loyal company employees went." Dagwood responded by saying "They were all laid off." They must have lived in Orlando.

Personally, when anyone asks me any questions about moving to Central Florida, I ask them if they have to or just want to move to the area. If they do not have to move here, I suggest that they stay where they are.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:06 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
Every job is equal to the effort you put forth into it. Too many people want too much. That's where things have gone wrong. Do your work to the best of your ability, be on time, be back at exactly the right time after breaks and lunches and you will be a gem to work alongside. Don't make matters worse by looking at the negatives aspects of your job or by voicing your displeasure at the way things are handled. Run your own company, and see how it feels to be on the other end of the spectrum. Can't run your own company? Then stop complaining and be a good employee where ever you are. You are hired at YOUR request. A whole lot of people would give their arms for a job that pays more than minimum wage, offers breaks or lunch periods and actually has a place provided for you to sit and relax on said breaks. Be content with what you get because it is still honest work and affording you the luxury of living where you can go to the beach whenever you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: