Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:52 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,316 times

Advertisements

I totally understand. There are a few complexes in Kissimmee and Hunter's Creek that I would recommend:

Alexan at Legacy Dunes, Kissimmee (Four Corners)

Heron Lake. Kissimmee

Audubon Villas, Hunter's Creek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro girl View Post
I am planning on relocating to Florida and am looking at the Kissimmee area (one of many areas I am researching). I am interested in working at Gaylord hotels in that area. I want to get into event planning (more than I do now) and came across their website. They seem to be a large hotel with many job opportunities. Does anyone know anything about this company? For instance, what they are like as an employer? Also, does anyone have any information about apartments in the Kissimmee area? I have seen a couple on rent.com but of course they don't tell you if they are in a safe area. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Although I have never worked for the Gaylord, I have heard that the hours working in the event planning division can be rough. I heard the the pay is decent, especially the tips can be good for event managers of larger shows. Have you ever thought of Orange County Convention Center. I am an event manager at the OCCC. We actually have 3 people come from the Gaylord to work with us. They say the hours can be a pain. However, at the OCCC we are not allowed to accept tips becasue we work for the county. Currently we are looking for an event manager. I provided a link to the HR website listed below. I believe the opportunity closes on Saturday. Good luck to you!

List Job Postings (http://www.orangecountyfl.net/jobs/jobline/listjobs.asp?cboJobCategory=-1&CL=4&cboDepartment=1%7C2%7C35&cboJobTitle=-1&cboSalaryRange=-1&txtPostingID=&txtJobCode=&cmdSubmit=Submit - broken link)

Old 09-02-2008, 10:31 AM

17 posts, read 60,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmf4l73 View Post
Although I have never worked for the Gaylord, I have heard that the hours working in the event planning division can be rough. I heard the the pay is decent, especially the tips can be good for event managers of larger shows. Have you ever thought of Orange County Convention Center. I am an event manager at the OCCC. We actually have 3 people come from the Gaylord to work with us. They say the hours can be a pain. However, at the OCCC we are not allowed to accept tips becasue we work for the county. Currently we are looking for an event manager. I provided a link to the HR website listed below. I believe the opportunity closes on Saturday. Good luck to you!

List Job Postings (http://www.orangecountyfl.net/jobs/jobline/listjobs.asp?cboJobCategory=-1&CL=4&cboDepartment=1%7C2%7C35&cboJobTitle=-1&cboSalaryRange=-1&txtPostingID=&txtJobCode=&cmdSubmit=Submit - broken link)
Thanks for such great info. I didn't know anything about the Convention Center. I am not ready to move there yet. I have to stick out one more New York State winter before I can go anywhere. I will check out that sight periodically though. Thanks so much.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:39 AM

16 posts, read 65,046 times
I would stay away from Kissimmee and St. Cloud if I were you. The Clermont area is very nice, it is somewhat close but far enough from the tourists. I left Orlando after 35 good years. My favorite areas are College Park and Winter Park. Also the outer areas of Ocoee are nice.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:18 PM

What is the crime around that area? I know that there is no perfect crime free place but some of threads can be a bit scary. The places that are safe to live are so far out of my budget range. Is there any working class places that are still safe?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:49 AM

3 posts, read 8,632 times
Default My wife worked at the Gaylord Palms.....

She worked in Spa there, "Canyon Ranch." She and i both LOVED the hotel. She was treated good from Gaylord entertainment but that wasnt the case sometimes from the spa; its your typicall work place, your always going to find flaws. The Benifits where GREAT, we were paying around $140 total a month for full medical, dental, vision, ect, which i think is good and thats based on that they still have the same medical plans. We were able to stay at the hotel for a little weekend getaway for around $50 a night which is great b/c most of the time the rooms go for $200+. She left in Febuary of this year b/c we moved to North Carolina. We moved b/c Kissimmee pretty much sucks. We both have lived there all of our lives and the crime is bad. If your going to work at Gaylord, dont move to clearmont even though it is a nice area, the reason being is b.c you will shoot yourself in the head from all the traffic nightmares, traffic everywhere from Clearmont to Kissimmee is terrible. I agree with the one posting about Hunters Creek and its close to SR417 but remember Kissimmee and orlando thrive off those stupid toll roads. If you use the tolls often you will probably be spending between $75-$150 on tolls a month (another reason why we left). Anyways, like i said the Gaylod Palms is amazing, its one of the FEW things i miss about Kissimmee. Hope this helps, sorry for the long post.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:54 PM

When you say you moved because crime is bad - are there any safe areas to live around there? I grew up in Jersey outside of NYC so I know traffic problems. My biggest worry is crime. My parents are in Central Florida - Hernando County - I was going to move to FL to be closer to them and to get away from winter.

Are there any nice areas of Florida that you might recommend since you and your wife grew up in FL.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:10 PM

12 posts, read 52,443 times
Camaro G,
JOBS do not pay in Orlando area, you've been warned. Moved her in July can't wait to leave again to Upstate NY....

be careful...

Old 09-21-2008, 06:02 PM

19 posts, read 84,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suericio View Post
avoid bvl(buena ventura lakes), and metrowest.
Can you please expand as to why Buena Ventura Lakes should be avoided?

I'm a little perplexed with your response because I have been there a few times and the neighborhood seems to be nice and quiet. Its nothing to write home about, but its not bad either. Since you are a local, maybe you know something about this neighborhood that someone who is not local like myself might not, but at least at first glance the neighborhood looks fine.

I'm not from Florida or the south in general, so maybe I have my rose colored glasses on. LOL!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:47 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,439 times
Let me elaborate what Suericio said: avoid BVL because there's hardly any white ppl, no gated communities, and everyone talks spanish!!!! I love BVL and Kissimmee over Otown anyday!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando