Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2008, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,147 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! I am planning to moving from Fort worth TX to Orlando Because I have a job in Northrop But I don't kmow the area so well. My kids still in a school year until May 27 2008. So my plan is buying a house that close to work area. Is the cost living in orlando same as fort worth , TX? I need some guidance before I make a decision to accept the offer. Is there any surrounding house builder close to Northrop? How much does money to buy a 3,500 square foot home? which Thanks in advances
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 06:15 AM

9 posts, read 65,382 times
Default Stay in Texas

If you have a choice, I would stay in Texas. I used to live in Plano, TX and would move back in a heartbeat if we could sell our house. The Dallas-Ft. Worth area is much more cosmopolitan than the Orlando area. DFW area has some crime, but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like Orlando. You can get much more house for your money in TX than here in Florida and I can promise you that the houses in Texas far exceed most of the Florida houses (dollar for dollar). For example, finding an home here in Florida with a double oven is not an easy thing to do, and in Texas, finding a home without a double oven is a rarity. And if you have children, definitely check out the schools before you decide to buy a house.
Emily

Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,217,274 times
I'll be moving to Dallas in a few weeks thank God! I would stay in TX if I were you, Orlando sucks.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:51 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,353,116 times
A 3500 square foot house in Orlando will cost you a small fortune compared to TX housing prices. Not to discourage you, just consider that 1800 square foot is considered a good size home here that will easily run you $250K.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:03 PM

40 posts, read 247,530 times
Default Thanks

I got some insight from this post. all makin me nervous.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:38 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,067,236 times
Orlando is an expensive place to live, the houses are over-priced for what you get. Texas seems to be more immune to the national recession, whereas Orlando is one of the areas that is going to be hit hard.

If that's Northrop on Research Parkway, you could live in Oviedo and be relatively close to work. Oviedo is a relatively nice area, albeit somewhat boring. There isn't alot of crime, although you are never far from higher crime areas such as some parts of East Orlando.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:31 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,157,258 times
I think what you have to be most careful of is what part of town you settle into if you move. I think your impression of Orlando and your experience can differ a lot depending on what part of town you are in. There are several nice, safe neighborhoods that tend to be adjacent to crime ridden lower income neighborhoods. There are also several parts of town that are all out nice. I live in Conway and commute to the UCF/Research Park area M-F and have a quick commute as I am headed in the opposite direction as traffic. I think there are several nice older areas of Orlando throughout downtown and Winter Park and several newer homes throughout the metro (most of Orlando was built after 1970 when Disney came), but some of those new homes are quickly built and the neighborhoods they are in are still forming their identity. I think what you are looking for will be better to help you with if you are looking for something newer or older, your price range, and how you feel about your commute. Homes that large are not as common in the Orlando market, but I would suggest Cypress Springs, Oviedo, or Lake Mary. If you do not care about the commute, I would suggest Lake Nona or Dr Phillips. If you lived in Dr Phillips though, it could easily take you an hour to get to work. If you have a little more money to spend, I think you may like the Heathrow area. The homes are larger and the restaurant selection in that area is less chains and of the swankier variety. I think I made a lot of assumptions on what you would like and are able to afford, but do not let people sway you with their negativity. Orlando as a whole is not bad at all.

P.S. I would agree that we are less cosmopolitan than Dallas by a long shot. That has a lot to do with our tourism base and identity and the fact that Orlando as a whole is about half the size or less than DFW.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:20 AM

24 posts, read 205,275 times
Default Born and raised in Orlando. Moveing to Texas!

I have been in Orlando most of my Life,exept for my 3 years in college.The city of orlando is not a Major city,and comfortable living does not exsit.I wish that I could tell you some positive things about this place.Home invasions have sky rocketed in the past 3 Years,like no other!It has also been titled the angriest city in america. Google: Angriest Cities in America! You will see why!I was able to travel for business and I noticed that Texas,North Carolina,Atlanta,GA,has much a better quality of Life.Not to mention the crime rate is at an all time high in Orlando.Low pay and more drug attics will not make a city safer,no matter how Gated it is!Lock your doors;get a Dog;Buy a gun if you are going to live any where in this city.Alot of the home invasions are takeing place in the gated comunities. Don't forget to GOOGLE:Angriest cities in America. Orlando is #1

Old 09-01-2008, 07:32 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,581,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomari View Post
I have been in Orlando most of my Life,exept for my 3 years in college.The city of orlando is not a Major city,and comfortable living does not exsit.I wish that I could tell you some positive things about this place.Home invasions have sky rocketed in the past 3 Years,like no other!It has also been titled the angriest city in america. Google: Angriest Cities in America! You will see why!I was able to travel for business and I noticed that Texas,North Carolina,Atlanta,GA,has much a better quality of Life.Not to mention the crime rate is at an all time high in Orlando.Low pay and more drug attics will not make a city safer,no matter how Gated it is!Lock your doors;get a Dog;Buy a gun if you are going to live any where in this city.Alot of the home invasions are takeing place in the gated comunities. Don't forget to GOOGLE:Angriest cities in America. Orlando is #1
You have made a great choice. This is not the place for a college graduate to get his or her life started. Lack of opportunities and low-wages make it career suicide to stay in Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando