Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:59 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learflyer View Post
What's with the little Honda's with big mufflers on the back? Why do you need an aircraft elevator on the back of it? Chrome Microphone, I don't think it's racist. I agree with you. It's called like it's seen. And I see it all the time. I don't think a person with the name of Seamus O'Shanty is littering the grounds and wearing pajamas in public. Oh, and the spanish billboards **** me off too.
ever been to NY/NJ, LA, any other city? The little honda's with big mufflers is by no means a latino thing if you were saying that...i know plenty of little punk kids from every race that have those...

all depends on the area...

Old 04-29-2009, 12:23 PM

621 posts, read 2,218,278 times
I agree with the OP. It's the same example as a black man being shot by officers in a shootout for robbing a bank... then the family is interviewed and they say "he was a good kid". Newsflash, good kids with decent parents don't commit these crimes! That is calling it like it is. If a black person can complain about the stereotyping, they can also help by correcting their family/friends as well. This goes for every stereotype about every ethnicity/race/etc...

I don't think the OP is being prejudice, racist, etc... just pointing out that we should all teach our kids right from wrong. In this case, hopefully anyone who reads this thread will speak up the next time someone they know litters, etc.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:31 PM

910 posts, read 2,330,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
do you realize that you can move to MANY areas and make a sweeping generalization like this? You go to an uneducated, low class part of many towns, you are gonna find those type of people, forget the race, etc....its unfortunate that you are now relating these people to ALL members of that race, not saying I would not do the same, but I would sure as hell try to rationalize the fact that it could be any race, in any area.
I mentioned in my comments that I call it as I see it. I agree with you that it could be any race, but what I see more often is one particular race than others who are acting this way in this part of Orlando.

Have you ever been to Waterford Lakes and Avalon Park where Chrome Microphone and others have mentioned about "problem" areas? These places don't even look like ghettos, it's not even a bad part of town, at least cosmetically, as many of these homes and subdivisions are fairly new (around 10 years old or less) but it will turn to that if people don't control and educate their kids.

I mentioned the littering earlier, also graffiti is popping up in the fences and brick partitions dividing subdivisions. So no, it's not ghetto, but it sure will be if this keeps up. Then yes, there goes our property values down the tubes and people are complaining? Well, if some of these people in these neighborhoods had some civic pride, educate their children that it's not cool to trash someone else's property, then negative posts such as these maybe would not come up. I just decided to speak up out of frustration and as you can see in some responses, that there are others who feel quite the same.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:38 PM

910 posts, read 2,330,727 times
Quote:
ever been to NY/NJ, LA, any other city? The little honda's with big mufflers is by no means a latino thing if you were saying that...i know plenty of little punk kids from every race that have those...

all depends on the area...
Sure, it doesn't have to be a Latin thing. Heck, there are Asians (my race) who drive these noisy little rice rockets around, speed, and threaten everyone's safety on the road as well. Just the fact that it can be any race doesn't excuse that fact that the poor behavior happens to stem from one particular race in one particular area. Again, the places we are referring to in East Orlando was not like this, and some of us who have civic pride don't want it to turn into the mean streets that some of the children, and their irresponsible parents, are letting it become.

Have some civic pride! Keep a plastic garbage bag from Publix or Target in your car where you dump your trash, then when you fill your car, dump that trash either in the gas stations trash can, or dump it in your own garbage can at home! Is that very hard to do? Just because it's not your lawn gives you the right to leave your garbage there for someone else to pick up. I betcha if I did the same thing in front of their yard right in front of them as they did on my yard, they'd get on my case and probably knock me on my rear end.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:35 PM

429 posts, read 1,104,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Sure, it doesn't have to be a Latin thing. Heck, there are Asians (my race) who drive these noisy little rice rockets around, speed, and threaten everyone's safety on the road as well. Just the fact that it can be any race doesn't excuse that fact that the poor behavior happens to stem from one particular race in one particular area. Again, the places we are referring to in East Orlando was not like this, and some of us who have civic pride don't want it to turn into the mean streets that some of the children, and their irresponsible parents, are letting it become.

Have some civic pride! Keep a plastic garbage bag from Publix or Target in your car where you dump your trash, then when you fill your car, dump that trash either in the gas stations trash can, or dump it in your own garbage can at home! Is that very hard to do? Just because it's not your lawn gives you the right to leave your garbage there for someone else to pick up. I betcha if I did the same thing in front of their yard right in front of them as they did on my yard, they'd get on my case and probably knock me on my rear end.
ngrome, i agree with you about civic pride and how you are raised etc...
and honestly, I don't think you are being racist or prejudice, as i said in my post, i'm not saying I wouldn't be tempted to say the same post in your situation though.

I do find it funny though that someone brought up the tail pipe thing, in what i took to be a tone directed at hispanics/latinos (this is the internets, so if i misread, i'm sorry). And if thats hte case, that is just being flat out ridiculous, those kids can be from the best neighborhood, and honestly, be great kids, and not litter or anything, but they just like those loud obnoxious tailpipes.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:35 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micktooth View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. I used to live down South (New Orleans) and people had the same mentality ie; "It happens everywhere". This is simply not true. My family and I moved to Colorado and I can tell you I've never seen such courteous people. I'm talking big cities such as Denver and Boulder.
I would never want to live in that climate for one, and two there is no guarantee that it will remain that way for much longer. You also may not be living in the "Waterford Lakes" of Colorado. Disrespect is disrespect and I have seen and experienced it throughout the country. Since the 1940's-1950's there has been a gradual decline in common respect and regard for one another. Just getting back from a week in Las Vegas, there were several incidences of flat out disregard for other people experienced throughout my visit. Most of the reason I was ready to come home was that I was so over people behaving like such d^%$&ebags the whole week long. I do not live in Waterford and my neighbors do not behave that way. I do not experience that everywhere in Orlando but I do not see the answer as fleeing. I am not afraid to tell someone to pick up their garbage or call the cops, littering is a crime and punishable by a fine.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
FL has plenty of white trash which are just as bad. Have you seen the family of that little Haleigh Cummings that is still missing and presumed dead?

The father lives with a 17 yr old and has now married her. He got another 17 yr old pregnant and has a third child.

The real mother who lost custody( must be a real prize) has another child with her "fiance" who is also her step brother.

They all live in trailers.

Times them by a thousand and you have a large group here of white trash.

I don't think race is the issue, but FL has a subculture of lowlifes, regardless of whether they are born here or are imported.

No one likes to be around dirtbags regardless of their race.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:59 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
FL has plenty of white trash which are just as bad. Have you seen the family of that little Haleigh Cummings that is still missing and presumed dead?

The father lives with a 17 yr old and has now married her. He got another 17 yr old pregnant and has a third child.

The real mother who lost custody( must be a real prize) has another child with her "fiance" who is also her step brother.

They all live in trailers.

Times them by a thousand and you have a large group here of white trash.

I don't think race is the issue, but FL has a subculture of lowlifes, regardless of whether they are born here or are imported.

No one likes to be around dirtbags regardless of their race.
Thank you

Old 04-29-2009, 05:24 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
yeah maybe in the azelea park part of east orange county, there's isollated crime in Waterford, cause there's isollated crime ANYWHERE. the vandalism, break ins and murders in Waterford aren't even compareable to the west side, or western east orange county..
Yes, but you still dont expect ANYONE to be shot/killed/stabbed in the Waterford Lakes area or Avalon Pk area. One of the guys that got shot and killed was a teenager living in the Avalon Reserve apartments, which are Section 8. But I know of a guy who got shot in the neck, and then a couple weeks ago, the guy in Waterford that got stabbed and killed by a black male at a house party. Drugs were involved, but still, you dont expect this in an areas like Waterford or Avalon. Let me put it this way, I used to live in Asheville NC, and if you lived in a neighborhood where houses were $250k - 1M, you certainly wouldnt have to worry about the things you have to worry about in the Waterford/Avalon areas. But again, this kind of goes back to what ngrome said and the mentality of some of the people that have moved to Orlando and areas I mentioned. Even though we live in a nice area, there is still that "ghetto" mentality out there.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:26 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,097 times
Quote:
do you realize that you can move to MANY areas and make a sweeping generalization like this? You go to an uneducated, low class part of many towns, you are gonna find those type of people, forget the race, etc....its unfortunate that you are now relating these people to ALL members of that race, not saying I would not do the same, but I would sure as hell try to rationalize the fact that it could be any race, in any area.
But we are talking about Orlando, and I see EXACTLY what ngrome is talking about, and I sure as heck dont live in a low class part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando