Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:14 AM

416 posts, read 1,089,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Then why don't you live someplace without one? Nobody forced you to live where you do.
I would not even attempt to sell in this market, but I dream of getting away from those idiots soon.
However, as has been said here previously. It is hard to find a newer house without having a HOA to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 10:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
I would not even attempt to sell in this market, but I dream of getting away from those idiots soon.
However, as has been said here previously. It is hard to find a newer house without having a HOA to deal with.
There are plenty of them in unincorporated Lake County.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:37 PM

96 posts, read 338,394 times
they have their purpose and as long as you know the rules and read the FL statues (pretty short section) you find that most HOA's execute more power than they legally have so you can easily ask them to reconsider their position. I have not had problems with them and in fact even became rather involved in a few myself.

If you want to have a big trailer, or couch in your front lawn maybe an HOA is not the best for you but there are some communities with HOA's that are flexible. For instance we had a neighbor who wanted to park his boat on the driveway, we had to dissagree with that, but worked it out so that he could put it in his back yard behind a fence where it wasn't visible from the street or other neighbors. So live and let live...

Old 07-14-2009, 10:50 AM

316 posts, read 1,037,086 times
so what's the point boat in the driveway or not - it doesn't lower property values in any other state. HOA's IMHO are pretty much a power trip for self-serving residents that want privledges that they don't pay for. Also there are very few ways to put straps around them. There are many grey areas and loopholes to walk right through.

While some of the rules are typical common sense, others aren't - such as not allowing adult children over 25 to reside in the house. Coming up with an assessment that is outrageous and being able to demand it immediately.

The bottom line is - these little groups require regulation. They also need to understand you can't expect a diamond sitting next to a crap pile to shine and sparkle. Which is why most HOA's exist - trash moving into areas that have created a tradional look that they do not want.

My next move? no east side of orlando....actually no orlando, no orange county... and absolutely no HOA unless they are reigned in tight.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:52 AM

30 posts, read 623,268 times
I'm currently looking for a house. I have seen a house have $360 a year for HOA fee but other house have $440 a year on same street. Why is that? I assume all houses have same fees in a subdivision.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:19 PM

96 posts, read 338,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafcharger View Post
I'm currently looking for a house. I have seen a house have $360 a year for HOA fee but other house have $440 a year on same street. Why is that? I assume all houses have same fees in a subdivision.
make sure they HOA fee quoted in the listing is acurate, sometimes it is outdated...

Old 07-19-2009, 02:35 PM

12 posts, read 63,980 times
I have lived inside the Orlando city limits without a HOA for twenty years now. Have called city code enforcement once about a real eyesore that was resolved efficiently. The people who created the problem have moved since then much to everyone's relief. I'm happy to report there have not been any other major problems.

I was once married to someone who got in way over his head with HOA involvement. I mean it became like a JOB. It got so bad with people calling us at odd hours constantly like on Sunday morning to complain about bugs in their bushes and such that I finally put my foot down and said he could only be on the board if they would put a business line in our home for this purpose. Guess who was no longer going to answer it? Needless to say, that was the end of that!

With that said, I'm ready to give up the traditional house and yard for something less back-breaking. I'm sure a HOA is likely to be in the picture so I'm glad I have some past experience with them. Make sure the HOA is accountable for what you will pay. Add up the services you will receive in return and you may find with the group rate you are getting a pretty good deal after all, and then you too may get to give up doing yard work in this godawful heat. Ride or walk around and talk to some residents - ask them how they like it, if there have been any problems and if the developer/HOA is good to deal with. Oh the things you can find out that way, like asking about a car you think you might want - ask people who have them. They are only to happy to give you the facts! Just my two cents today.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:50 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,431,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj34787 View Post
Hi guys,

I have a delimma; to buy in a subdivision or to buy an older home outside a subdivision. What are the advantages (if any) in living in a subdivision? What are the disadvantage of living in a subdivision (I can think of a ton but am curious what you guys think)?

Thanks!
I purchased a house in 2001 in a HOA, if I had it to do over again, I would NOT. Near the outskirts of the town I live in are homes that are on bigger lots and no HOA, I wish I had purchased one out there.

The HOA usually has some rule that states "anything that is a problem for someone else in the neighborhood", I am paraphrasing of course but they use it to come after you about anything and everything. In my HOA the rules are selectively applied. I absolutely HATE it !!

Old 07-20-2009, 11:25 AM

38 posts, read 129,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by champa View Post
they have their purpose and as long as you know the rules and read the FL statues (pretty short section) you find that most HOA's execute more power than they legally have so you can easily ask them to reconsider their position. I have not had problems with them and in fact even became rather involved in a few myself.

If you want to have a big trailer, or couch in your front lawn maybe an HOA is not the best for you but there are some communities with HOA's that are flexible. For instance we had a neighbor who wanted to park his boat on the driveway, we had to dissagree with that, but worked it out so that he could put it in his back yard behind a fence where it wasn't visible from the street or other neighbors. So live and let live...
So, maybe he worked hard and long to be able to afford said Boat, and enjoyed 'looking' at it in HIS Driveway. How can you reasonably justify that YOUR 'right' not to see HIS Boat in HIS driveway supersedes HIS 'right' to see HIS Boat in HIS driveway? HOA's seem to be for people who believe their 'wants' trump those of any who 'differ' from them.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Before you buy into a HOA, read the rules and regulations. Most don't allow boats, RV's, etc to be parked in driveways. WHere I live you can't park it in your yard (front, back, or side) either. It's not a new rule, it's been there all along. Anybody that didn't bother to figure out what they were buying before they bought has no one to blame but themselves.

The problem is, where do you draw the line? Who's to say that a rusted out 30 year old Winnebago that runs can't stay when a brand new Setra conversion can?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando